Booking last minute to Alaska

floridafish

I'm a solo traveler with a flexible schedule. I'm interested in booking an Alaskan sail this summer. My big requirement is securing a balcony cabin. I'm wondering if anyone on here has had any luck with last minute bookings to Alaska in terms of significant cost savings and cabin choice. TIA. 

Maybe find a particular cruise that you are interested in and look just after final payment is due (usually 90 day from sailing).  
If you live outside the PNW and would have to fly to take this cruise, you may find that airline seats could be difficult to come by, and the ones you do find are expensive.

Good luck!

My September cruise has already gone up in price over the last few weeks and the flights are up several hundred dollars for the date I wanted. 2 years ago I got a crazy good last minute deal but cruises especially in the summer are going to run full, don’t expect great deals.

• Like 1

There are still cabins to be had, but if you think waiting will provide a cost savings, I'm afraid you will be disappointed. In fact, with Alaska, generally it is the opposite. The longer you wait, the higher the price. These cruises will sell out and as inventory falls the price will creep up. I would suggest booking sooner rather than later.

I have always found last minute deals for May cruises. Never had an issue booking late for May.

A friend of mine was going to go in May with me last year but couldn't and ended up going in August, booked last minute.

As long as you are flexible, you won't have a problem.

On 2/7/2024 at 5:00 PM, SightCRR said:

Plus most of the good excursions are full and sold out. 

I book mostly private excursions. Booking last minute has never been an issue for me and I have been to Alaska many times.

• Like 1

There will be 68 cruise ships sailing Alaska this summer opposed to the 50 sailing last year. Maybe better chances of a cheap fare, but less chance for booking popular tours that may be sold out.

I would highly recommend booking an Alaska cruise as soon as possible. We booked an Alaskan sailing a month before the cruise and there were limited excursions to choose from and only inside rooms left. We were totally fine with it, since we had to book last minute, but if I ever book another Alaska cruise (which I will lol) I will book at least a year to a year and a half in advance!