Price wise and service wise, can Oceania compare with Silversea`

clo

To add another element to the discussion, I wanted to mention that while SS includes a number of excursions, for someone like myself (and I think like you), I've found by browsing through their offerings that for a lot of ports the excursions offered are short and/or not what would have been "top of my list" for that port. That means I would either have to pay more through SS to get an excursion I like OR arrange something privately. The latter would be my first choice; however, then I am paying for a sizable inclusion that is worth nothing to me.

If you can, you might want to take a close look at which excursions are in the "included" bucket and whether you'd be satisfied with them.

(Of course I have a similar problem with O now that they include the dedicated excursion credit....still, that's only for a few ports and I can generally find 1-2 excursions I can manage with....)

9 hours ago, basor said:

Please let me know where you found this great fare as I have been searching and can't come close. Perhaps your dates are better or you have a great website for discounted business class fares, When I checked the JAL website, it was double your price for a roundtrip:

Tue 8 OctTuesday, October 8, 2024   13:301:30 PM
Wed 9 OctWednesday, October 9, 2024   15:403:40 PM
Tokyo 
( Narita International Terminal  2 )
Fare: Business Special Plus External link  Fare conditions

Return flight

Tue 22 OctTuesday, October 22, 2024   17:405:40 PM
Tokyo 
(Narita International  Terminal   2 )
Tue 22 OctTuesday, October 22, 2024   10:2510:25 AM
Fare: Business Special Plus External link  Fare conditions

Total$ 6,762.50 (USD)

Please excuse this big error. I had surgery a while back and am still on some minor doses of pain meds that sometimes make me loopy. That $3349 is actually one way. So I will be looking long and hard at this. And thank for that HA/HNL tip. I'm also going to look at JAL and other Japanese airlines to see what their economy seats are like. I'm not adding $13K to the trip for business flights.

Thanks to everyone for this. I saw it last night but decided to wait for morning coffee 🙂

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

To add another element to the discussion, I wanted to mention that while SS includes a number of excursions, for someone like myself (and I think like you), I've found by browsing through their offerings that for a lot of ports the excursions offered are short and/or not what would have been "top of my list" for that port. That means I would either have to pay more through SS to get an excursion I like OR arrange something privately. The latter would be my first choice; however, then I am paying for a sizable inclusion that is worth nothing to me.

If you can, you might want to take a close look at which excursions are in the "included" bucket and whether you'd be satisfied with them.

(Of course I have a similar problem with O now that they include the dedicated excursion credit....still, that's only for a few ports and I can generally find 1-2 excursions I can manage with....)

Thanks, mom (ha!) for that tip.

13 hours ago, basor said:

yes - we have to change planes somewhere for PDX....JAL/HA around $1800.00 pp, , JAL - around $4500.00..  be sure to choose the flight between HNL - TYO that is operated by JAL as HA also has non stop flights too.

And HNL is a hop/skip/jump it seems from SEA/PDX so I'd rather break it up that way. And the JAL/HA equipment is very appealing. Thanks AGAIN.

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

If I were to use that option, we would try and work it out so we could stopover for a few days (or more) in Hawaii.

Hank

We Left Coast people generally have a "been there, done that" attitude about Hawaii. Kinda like y'all going to Florida 🙂

• Thanks 1

Regarding SS air - it could be hit or miss.

We got a great deal for business class upgrade via SS, also got direct flights - till we asked to fly 2 days early, and they requested almost $1,000 USD per person. Same flights, just 2 days earlier, one direction only. We took air credit and booked our own flights. Just something to consider.

9 hours ago, Vallesan said:

I think the biggest difference is in the general ‘atmosphere’. Oceania is far more laid back. Silversea has formal nights, but whilst you can eat in some restaurants without ‘formal attire’ lots of passengers sail Silversea precisely for that formality so there’s a very different ‘vibe’. It’s not as ‘stuffy’ as I may have made it sound but it is definitely ‘different’.

And I would find that "vibe" offputing. Still have the formal attire but it takes up more room. We'll see about that particular ship and that particular itinerary. Thanks.

4 hours ago, ORV said:

I think she said that the economy is included and the upgrade to business is $3349.. I think to compare apples to apples we need to know what the air credit is wit Silver Sea. So maybe not as good a deal as she thinks. 

It's $1950. Starting the whole process over again today.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

How fun!

He looked great! Nobody said anything, no funny looks but there might have been a bit of ‘tut tutting’ in the background!

Edited by Vallesan

Just now, Vallesan said:

He looked great! Nobody said anything, no funny looks but there might have been a of ‘tut tutting’ in the background!

Whereas I would have come over and said "If I ever divorce my husband (again), will you marry me????

4 minutes ago, clo said:

We Left Coast people generally have a "been there, done that" attitude about Hawaii. Kinda like y'all going to Florida 🙂

This East Coast "people" might also have a "been there done that" attitude about Hawaii.  I guess we could say the same about Europe (been there dozens of times) and the 100+ other countries we have visited and just stay home :).  But the reality about "stop overs" if that it often gives folks an opportunity to visit a place for little or no additional air cost.  That is the simple reason we pointed out that flying through Hawaii might avail that opportunity, The OP could also decide to fly the other direction, perhaps with Turkish Air, and get a free stopover in Istanbul.

In quite a few other posts, over the years, we have pointed out the interesting stop over opportunities.  From discussions with other travelers/cruisers we have also learned that many folks are not aware of the possibilities (hence my post in this thread).  

And for the record, this East Coast "people" still likes visiting Florida.

Hank

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

This East Coast "people" might also have a "been there done that" attitude about Hawaii.  I guess we could say the same about Europe (been there dozens of times) and the 100+ other countries we have visited and just stay home :).  But the reality about "stop overs" if that it often gives folks an opportunity to visit a place for little or no additional air cost.  That is the simple reason we pointed out that flying through Hawaii might avail that opportunity, The OP could also decide to fly the other direction, perhaps with Turkish Air, and get a free stopover in Istanbul.

In quite a few other posts, over the years, we have pointed out the interesting stop over opportunities.  From discussions with other travelers/cruisers we have also learned that many folks are not aware of the possibilities (hence my post in this thread).  

And for the record, this East Coast "people" still likes visiting Florida.

Hank

Yes, dear.

Oceania far better staff in particular and food wonder full have done Oceania cruises 62 times and silver-seas 3 nothing to do with price as when i am holiday money never comes into it. It is like going home no matter which ship I go on always people to welcome me and make sure all is goo , I am about to book the Vista haven't done that one yet but managed the maiden cruise for Marina and Riviera.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Limonadier said:

April 27 2024 from Honolulu to Vancouver 

Thank you.  No Such sailings in 2025.we did Celebrity Vancouver to Hawaii a few years back and loved all the nights at sea. E J will be a beautiful experience 

Happy cruising

• Like 1