NCLH Shareholder Discount

tedbearz

How does refundable vs unrefundable OBC get applied?  I have OBC from a variety of sources, and I have no idea which line item is for which credit.  There are no codes listed next to the line items on my account where my OBC credits are listed.  I got some from my TA, some as an incentive from NCL for booking, and I believe some as a shareholder, but it's impossible to tell which is which, which is refundable, which one gets used first against room charges, etc.  I'm no stranger to cruising, being Sapphire on NCL,and high status on other lines, but this has me befuddled.

53 minutes ago, tedbearz said:

Anyone know if you apply for the Shareholder discount OBC and you change your sailing, do you need to reapply or does it carryover to the new sailing?

If you keep your reservation # (which you can do), it stays. If you cancel and rebook with a new reservation then you need to resubmit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Birdnutty said:

... but it's impossible to tell which is which, which is refundable, which one gets used first against room charges, etc.  

Any amounts charged to your account are first deducted from non-refundable OBC, if they are eligible, until your non-ref OBC runs out.  After that, charges are deducted from the refundable OBC.  When that runs out, your bill has an amount to pay.

You can get a printout of your account from guest services as any point during the cruise.  At the end, this will show your remaining non-ref OBC, and your ref OBC, so you can keep track of what's left.  The account on the app doesn't show these figures.

BTW, another thing you can use non-ref OBC for (but hopefully don't need to): charges from the onboard medical centre. 

9 hours ago, Birdnutty said:

How does refundable vs unrefundable OBC get applied?  I have OBC from a variety of sources, and I have no idea which line item is for which credit.  There are no codes listed next to the line items on my account where my OBC credits are listed.  I got some from my TA, some as an incentive from NCL for booking, and I believe some as a shareholder, but it's impossible to tell which is which, which is refundable, which one gets used first against room charges, etc.  I'm no stranger to cruising, being Sapphire on NCL,and high status on other lines, but this has me befuddled.

I was not sure if our OBC from our TA was refundable or not. Simple solution, I asked at guest services. (It was not).

Before your cruise, ask NCL for an Amenities Invoice which will list OBCs in your account.

Be sure to look at it closely because sometimes (usually) the "Non" and "Refundable" appear on separate lines.

• Like 2

Thank you!  I now know what to look for and think I've got it!

It appears that I have might have some refundable OBC from my TA that I'm hoping to use on a Cruisenext.  Will I be able to do that?

18 hours ago, Birdnutty said:

Thank you!  I now know what to look for and think I've got it!

It appears that I have might have some refundable OBC from my TA that I'm hoping to use on a Cruisenext.  Will I be able to do that?

If your OBC is truly refundable, it can be used towards whatever you wish to purchase once onboard the ship!

• 1 month later...

Did I get this correct?  The $100 NCLH stock OBC is NON-refundable, and the $50 shore excursion credit is refundable.  Thus if you book on board a $100 excursion it will be taken from the non-refundable account. Thus at end of cruise you would have refundable $50 shore excursion which would be money refunded to you.  Sounds confusing, but neat trick if true!

18 minutes ago, AtlDave W said:

Did I get this correct?  The $100 NCLH stock OBC is NON-refundable, and the $50 shore excursion credit is refundable.  Thus if you book on board a $100 excursion it will be taken from the non-refundable account. Thus at end of cruise you would have refundable $50 shore excursion which would be money refunded to you.  Sounds confusing, but neat trick if true!

Two different animals.  The excursion credit is only good for excursions, and you use it or lose it.  In your example, the $50 excursion credit would be applied first, and the remainder would be covered by your non-refundable OBC from the stockholder's benefit.

25 minutes ago, AtlDave W said:

If you book your shore excursion pre-cruise, the $50 is deducted from the cost of the shore ex at time of booking. 

If you book a shore ex on the ship, the full amount of the excursion is charged to your room account. When you complete the shore ex, $50 is applied to your account (non-refundable). 

Your $100 can be used to pay for any expenses, including the balance on your shore ex. 

Note: Shore excursions typically have limited capacity and popular tours will sell out pre-cruise. So, if you wait until you are onboard to make your reservations, you may not get your first-choice excursion. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If you book a shore ex on the ship, the full amount of the excursion is charged to your room account. When you complete the shore ex, $50 is applied to your account (non-refundable). 

good explanation, except the $50 is applied to your account as refundable.  To the OP, yes, you have it correct, provided you book the excursions onboard.  I do this to convert my stockholder credit to refundable and I cash out the $100 at the end of the cruise

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

As is often the case, NCL ships/staff do not apply the rules consistently. On the Escape and Epic the scenario described by dbrown84 at #61 has worked for me and I have walked out with cash in hand after the stockholder credit and $50 ShoreEx was applied to onboard expenses.

On the Jade last week, my online account showed a $51 refundable amount, the printout of my account indicated NonRef as 0, Refundable as $51 and I received a letter in my cabin saying I was owed refundable credit. I went to the onboard credit desk and the finance representative insisted the $51 was non-refundable because it was ShoreEx related. I showed him the documentation and he said it was a glitch. Apparently, a glitch in three parts of the system. I told him Escape and Epic handled it differently, suggesting there really was no glitch in the Jade system. Then he got mad at me - suggesting I was making everything up or was stupid! Since he was the finance guy his interpretation was backed up by Guest Services staff. His interpreation and argument wouldn't hold up legally of course or pass a common sense test, since the documentation and previous history supported me. I got tired of fighting and being treated like an idiot. I'll just avoid the Jade for a bit since I don't trust their finance department. It's glitchy after all...

YMMV of course!