Do I have to get a Medallion?

Wanderfully

I haven't figured out a purpose for the medallion other than opening my door and getting off and on the ship - the same as a key card.  Whenever I order a drink, they ask for my cabin number.  I make dining reservations on my laptop.  I do not have a cell phone.  I travel with my husband and I always know where he is if he is not next to me.  I like to hold the daily schedule in my hands and highlight what I am interested in.  Menus are on the TV.  What does the medallion do that I am missing?  Does it do anything if you do not have a cell phone?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The whole medallion and medallion does a bunch of things that you might or might not want to do. The medallion app is awful.  However there is nothing wrong with using the medallion just to open your cabin door and do anything else the old fashioned way if you wish.

DON

• Like 1

1 minute ago, donaldsc said:

The whole medallion and medallion does a bunch of things that you might or might not want to do. The medallion app is awful.  However there is nothing wrong with using the medallion just to open your cabin door and do anything else the old fashioned way if you wish.

DON

What’s wrong with the app? 

Totally respect the OP's opinion and others of the same mind who don't want one for whatever reason, but Princess, in my opinion, is absolutely spot-on by using this technology.

I'm not clear if they fully utilize the information, but they can, for example, glean utilization trends for lounges, lido deck, bars, etc. so they can better customize services, ship amenities, and future ship designs.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Wanderfully said:

Well, from the length of time I've been a member of CruiseCritic and the small number of posts, I'm sure most can tell I use this site for information gathering not for interaction. But to clarify for those of you that asked specifically, I could care less about being tracked and have no pacemaker ( although I may have one by my next cruise lol) 

I don't like the Medallion system because I'm saddened and disappointed that the Marketing Dept hoodwinked the executives at Princess into thinking this was a good idea. 

I'm deeply saddened that Princess and its employees ( IT, Guest Services, Call Centers and TAs have spent countless hours, and many many dollars on the Medallion itself and the Medallion app ( now Princess app because Marketing surely wants to distance itself from the word Medallion) trying to fix all the problems that have so frustrated and yes, angered, even the loyalist among us.

And all that time and money could have been spent on better pay for the crew, and enhancements to the Princess product.

Goodness knows how much more has to be spent in the future trying to burnish the Princess name.

In the 8 cruises before now, I never had trouble finding anyone on the ship in my party. And if I did, it was probably fun. We discussed our day in the morning and made dates and never looked at phones.  (3:50 at Club Fusion for Bingo.. 2:30 at the Terrace bar after Trivia)  

The technology that allows the crew to see our name I feel is condescending. What used to be a fun interaction, a smile directed at a crew member with our drink request, a smile returned and some banter is now reduced to a crew member having to add an extra layer of servitude. ( smile and greet the customer by name, memorize what they like so they don't even have to talk you, your customer needs to feel special because ....because?  I don't know why,,,are we all that needy?) ........Maybe we just need to talk and interact with people a bit more and we'd all feel happy and special.

You may think I'm a luddite, preachy, old fashioned, this is the wave of the future and you may be right.....but I'll tell you, I hope its working for you because that is not what I'm reading on these boards or anywhere else in life. And at my age, I've learned that keeping it simple, not wasting time trying to keep frustration at bay and keeping things people to people on a even level as much as you can makes me a lot happier

These are just my feelings, not right or wrong. I love Princess and not using the Medallion is a way I can withdraw support from what I feel was a damaging decision.

It's the aliens.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gail & Dan said:

Nothing really. It flakes out on various things from time to time, but mostly works just fine, like everything tech.

Some people just don't like new stuff and some people like to complain that all this "new stuff" impedes their ability to relax and enjoy themselves somehow. The medallion is essentially a key card and the app is not required for anything at all, so, what other conclusion can be drawn?

• Like 1

I like the medallion and use it for the same reasons I used to use the card.  Getting through security while leaving or returning to the ship, opening the door to the stateroom, purchasing coffee at IC, purchasing anything on the ship.  The medallion app on the phone is not necessary while using the medallion.  But I like the app on the phone because it shows the schedule of events each day, the menu for the MDR, and my onboard account.  I use it for nothing else.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Outerdog said:
2 hours ago, Gail & Dan said:

Nothing really. It flakes out on various things from time to time, but mostly works just fine, like everything tech.

Some people just don't like new stuff and some people like to complain that all this "new stuff" impedes their ability to relax and enjoy themselves somehow. The medallion is essentially a key card and the app is not required for anything at all, so, what other conclusion can be drawn?

I guess I'm one of those luddites bc I still use the ocean concierge website that originally came with the medallion (circa 2018). Tried the interim app and it didn't add anything new to Ocean Concierge and seemed complicated in getting patter / excursions / reviewing bill / buying next voyage,  will look at the new app in April but I can do everything without any glitches on the original. Why fix what isn't broken??

I have my first cruise with medallion coming up. If I had known a key card was still an option I may have opted for it instead. My concerns with the medallion have to do with its proximity based unlocking of cabin door. Sounds like a great idea if you have your hands full, but a couple of scenarios concern me.

1) It used to be if you lost your card, no worries. Someone finding the card would have to insert it in each door to see where it fit, which would look really suspicious. Now someone can just walk the decks slowly past the doors and hear the door unlock and see the panel. Yes I know, once reported the old one can be disabled, but there is still a window of risk.

2) When walking alone, maybe late at night, back to your cabin, if you are uncomfortable someone is following you, you could just keep walking to public/populated place and no one would know your stateroom. Now they may be able to determine which stateroom is yours as you walk past.

People can scoff, but cruises are like little cities and bad things unfortunately can and do still happen.

• Haha 4

I am one who has never used the medallion for anything than to open my cabin door, charge purchase and walk on/off the ship.  So, one might say that I think Princess fouled up by "forcing" this new technology on us.

However, in this conversation multiple contributors have reported their appreciation of some additional features that they have used that are results of the deployment of the medallion and the application software that they have loaded onto their telephone or tablet.  Every day it seems that there are more reports, here on Cruise Critic, that passengers are using more of these features.  I think we have to conclude that the medallion system is becoming successful.

Now, in reality, the day the medallion was announced, I was excited and could not wait to try it.  Mrs. XBGuy is a late sleeper.  I am more the "let's get up and get something to eat" kinda guy.  When on a cruise, after I have finished my breakfast--and five or six cups of coffee--I will grab something for her either at the buffet or the International Cafe.  It is not unusual for me to have both hands full when I reach our cabin.  I immediately knew that I wanted that little gizmo to automatically open my cabin door.  I was pretty happy when it worked so well.

Quick edit:  Let me add that if somebody opts to use a keycard instead of a medallion, that is up to them.  The above is just my experience and opinion.  The fact that somebody's experience or opinion is different is fine.

Edited by XBGuy
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, CruiseMob said:

I have my first cruise with medallion coming up. If I had known a key card was still an option I may have opted for it instead. My concerns with the medallion have to do with its proximity based unlocking of cabin door. Sounds like a great idea if you have your hands full, but a couple of scenarios concern me.

1) It used to be if you lost your card, no worries. Someone finding the card would have to insert it in each door to see where it fit, which would look really suspicious. Now someone can just walk the decks slowly past the doors and hear the door unlock and see the panel. Yes I know, once reported the old one can be disabled, but there is still a window of risk.

2) When walking alone, maybe late at night, back to your cabin, if you are uncomfortable someone is following you, you could just keep walking to public/populated place and no one would know your stateroom. Now they may be able to determine which stateroom is yours as you walk past.

People can scoff, but cruises are like little cities and bad things unfortunately can and do still happen.

You're right. It would be safer to stay home. I mean, come on now. You're really reaching here. There's a "window of risk" in everything we do.

Say a ship is 1,000 feet long. There are 12 passenger decks. Port and starboard sides. 12,000 feet to traverse, round about 2.5 miles. Without security noticing some weirdo walking every deck. I could lose my keys at the supermarket and be victimized in a comparable scenario at home. Someone could find me keys, locate my car, find the registration, drive to my house, steal my stuff, all before the ~50 minutes it would take the average person to walk the ship searching for my cabin.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Outerdog said:

You're right. It would be safer to stay home. I mean, come on now. You're really reaching here. There's a "window of risk" in everything we do.

Say a ship is 1,000 feet long. There are 12 passenger decks. Port and starboard sides. 12,000 feet to traverse, round about 2.5 miles. Without security noticing some weirdo walking every deck. I could lose my keys at the supermarket and be victimized in a comparable scenario at home. Someone could find me keys, locate my car, find the registration, drive to my house, steal my stuff, all before the ~50 minutes it would take the average person to walk the ship searching for my cabin.

I never said anyone should stay home. You're right there is risk in everything, even staying home. People have different experiences and different comfort levels. That's why everyone should be mindful of their own comfort level of safety and not be scoffed at or mocked by others. Have you ever been alone and followed? It can be scary.

I listed 2 concerns, not show stoppers. Obviously I'm still going and with the medallion but that doesn't mean I can't also consider risk.

3 hours ago, Gail & Dan said:

There's actually a lot wrong with it, but I've decided to think it funny rather than get mad at it. When I bring it up, it's a real crap shoot as to how much, if any, of the data for our next cruise loads. Sometimes all of it, sometimes none of it, mostly most of it. For instance, I opened it this morning and it knew who I am and what cruise is next. Off to a good start, or so one would think. It couldn't find any travel companions, although it's certainly shown my hubby before. Couldn't find any dining info. Couldn't find the purchased wifi package. Next time I open it, I'll probably get a different result. Never a dull moment with that thing.🤣😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HotRoot said:

I haven't figured out a purpose for the medallion other than opening my door and getting off and on the ship - the same as a key card.  Whenever I order a drink, they ask for my cabin number.  I make dining reservations on my laptop.  I do not have a cell phone.  I travel with my husband and I always know where he is if he is not next to me.  I like to hold the daily schedule in my hands and highlight what I am interested in.  Menus are on the TV.  What does the medallion do that I am missing?  Does it do anything if you do not have a cell phone?  

I find a medallion much more convenient than a key card since I can wear it on a wristband during the day. I don’t have to worry about it being lost like I do when I cruise other lines. I hate having to hope a keycard stays safe while I swim or exercise, especially in port. That benefit has nothing to do with the app.

I think the app offers a lot of convenience for many passengers. It doesn’t matter to you, but I really like the feature of being able to find the people in my party and use it almost daily. For example, if we are doing different activities in port or one is in the gym and one in the spa on a sea day, we often plan to meet “by the pool”. I like being able to just find each other easily.  I only wish the medallion had come along when my kids were young.

I use the app to communicate with guest relations while I sit and enjoy my book rather than standing in line. I also check my onboard account regularly and like to look at daily menus without having to go to my cabin and turn on the tv.

Being able to see port guides and the daily schedule are also great conveniences. I hate carrying around pieces of paper, not to mention avoiding the huge waste of paper.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

I don’t think the app is awful. It has some things that could be improved but it works as well for me as Celebrity or Royal Caribbean’s apps.

Edited by Torfamm

1 hour ago, Torfamm said:

I find a medallion much more convenient than a key card since I can wear it on a wristband during the day. I don’t have to worry about it being lost like I do when I cruise other lines. I hate having to hope a keycard stays safe while I swim or exercise, especially in port. That benefit has nothing to do with the app.

So, I know I am weird.  My husband carries my key card in a folder from some cruise line.  Each card is in its own sleeve so both can be scanned without removing them.  And, I am weird.  My driver's license is also in his wallet.  I seldom have a purse with me.  We did buy the watches for our Princess medallions and use them.  But, half the time mine ends up in his pocket.  

So, can I do anything with this app if I do not have a cell phone?

As far as what's wrong with the App, there's the basic principle of the data that's stored on the servers isn't 100% accurate.  Some can't login to the App using both un/pw and booking/birthday.  Loyalty levels are wrong for some.  The new App requires authorization of your CC shoreside via a 3rd party in order to complete all check-in steps.

On board, the OceanNow isn't deliverered 100% of the time.  There are too many reports that orders show as delivered even though they have not.  OceanNow has been a victim of it's own success.  Too many people ordering via OceanNow and crew couldn't keep up, so in order to quell orders and raise revenue, Princess began charging for OceanNow delivery (one-time, a la carte, or through a package).

Princess is using the Medallion as their flagship product and yet the technology isn't close to perfect, which should be the benchmark for App and technology releases.

Personally, I think Princess should charge those wanting to use a Medallion over a cruise card.  Cruise cards cost cents to manufacture as compared to Medallions which cost more because they require a chip, a battery (which has a poor service life), plastic housing, stickers, and lanyards.  If were saying that at it's core, the Medallion functions the same as a cruise card in the sense that a passenger in the sense that all a passenger will use it for is for exit/entry of the ship and to open doors, then give the passenger the option to just use a cruise card to save the Princess money.  This is one cutback that I wouldn't mind.  Several years ago, Disney used to give away Magic Bands for free to those that booked all in packages.  Now they charge $30 for the Magic Bands because those bands were costing them money and it didn't become reason enough for people to book all in packages directly with Disney.

As far as tracking venue usage, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.  Princess venues are finite compared to RCCL's mega ships.  They are pretty much always in use.  If you want to figure out how well a dining/bar venue is doing, you can go back and look at the number of chits or covers you had.  It's common knowledge that the library and promenade decks don't' make money because you can't sell anything there.

Edited by SCX22
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HotRoot said:

So, I know I am weird.  My husband carries my key card in a folder from some cruise line.  Each card is in its own sleeve so both can be scanned without removing them.  And, I am weird.  My driver's license is also in his wallet.  I seldom have a purse with me.  We did buy the watches for our Princess medallions and use them.  But, half the time mine ends up in his pocket.  

So, can I do anything with this app if I do not have a cell phone?

I don’t think you are weird, just in the minority. Most passengers probably prefer to have their key card or medallion with them.  I may be in the minority as we don’t spend all our time together, even in port, especially since only one of us is interested in scuba diving.

Unless you intend to carry a laptop and try to use the web-based version of the app, no you have no way to use the app onboard.

Apps are designed for use with mobile devices. I’m not certain that the web-based version would even be useful onboard.

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
5 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

As far as what's wrong with the App, there's the basic principle of the data that's stored on the servers isn't 100% accurate.  Some can't login to the App using both un/pw and booking/birthday.  Loyalty levels are wrong for some.  The new App requires authorization of your CC shoreside via a 3rd party in order to complete all check-in steps.

On board, the OceanNow isn't 100% delivered.  There are too many reports that orders show as delivered even though they have not.  OceanNow has been a victim of it's own success.  Too many people ordering via OceanNow and crew couldn't keep up, so in order to quell orders and raise revenue, Princess began charging for OceanNow delivery (one-time, a la carte, or through a package).

Princess is using the Medallion as their flagship products and yet the technology isn't close to perfect, which should be the benchmark for App and technology releases.

Personally, I think Princess should charge those wanting to use a Medallion over a cruise card.  Cruise cards cost cents to manufacture as compared to Medallions which cost more because they require a chip, a battery (which has a poor service life), plastic housing, stickers, and lanyards.  If were saying that at it's core, the Medallion functions the same as a cruise card in the sense that a passenger in the sense that all a passenger will use it for is for exit/entry of the ship and to open doors, then give the passenger the option to just use a cruise card to save the Princess money.  This is one cutback that I wouldn't mind.  Several years ago, Disney used to give away Magic Bands for free to those that booked all in packages.  Now they charge $30 for the Magic Bands because those bands were costing them money and it didn't become reason enough for people to book all in packages directly with Disney.

As far as tracking venue usage, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.  Princess venues are finite compared to RCCL's mega ships.  They are pretty much always in use.  If you want to figure out how well a dining/bar venue is doing, you can go back and look at the number of chits or covers you had.  It's common knowledge that the library and promenade decks don't' make money because you can't sell anything there.

So how much should they charge for a medallion then? They might cost more than cards but given the volume they will buy them at it won't be much more IMO. You aren't going to save much.

I cannot see any justification or reason why anyone might want a card over a medallion. 

Just now, Snaxmuppet said:

So how much should they charge for a medallion then? They might cost more than cards but given the volume they will buy them at it won't be much more IMO. You aren't going to save much.

If Medallions are really that great, more passengers will want to purchase one than not.  Also cruise cards cost cents to manufacture.  Factoring in the battery and the chip, Medallions probably cost $5 to manufacture.  Do the math and the thousands of passengers that Princess serves.  I think around $30 for a Medallion would be reasonable.  It puts it in line with an AirTag.

Guest Snaxmuppet
14 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

If Medallions are really that great, more passengers will want to purchase one than not.  Also cruise cards cost cents to manufacture.  Factoring in the battery and the chip, Medallions probably cost $5 to manufacture.  Do the math and the thousands of passengers that Princess serves.  I think around $30 for a Medallion would be reasonable.  It puts it in line with an AirTag.

Well, let's be honest, medallions are not that great. The main benefit is to Princess in that it gives them a lot of detail about our movements, preferences and practices when on board so that data gives them the opportunity to tailor the cruise experience to increase revenue. I can't see many people spending anything at all on a medallion when it really doesn't give the passenger much benefit over a card especially at $30!

However, I still don't see why we wouldn't want to carry one over a card as it is free. OK, you can't easily put it into a wallet but there isn't really any other disadvantage that I can see with them. Personally, I do prefer them in that my cabin door opens as I approach and the bar server already knows my name as I approach the bar but that is about it tbh.

45 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I don’t think you are weird, just in the minority. Most passengers probably prefer to have their key card or medallion with them.  I may be in the minority as we don’t spend all our time together, even in port, especially since only one of us is interested in scuba diving.

Unless you intend to carry a laptop and try to use the web-based version of the app, no you have no way to use the app onboard.

Apps are designed for use with mobile devices. I’m not certain that the web-based version would even be useful onboard.

Thank you!   You assured me I have no need for the app.  I will stick with weird.  I am on my laptop during the Super Bowl.  I do stop to watch the commercials.  My husband has personally been to 20 Super Bowls.  Now it is cheaper to cruise.  Opposites do attract.  He took heads on the toss and won.