Question about the Miracle at low speed cruising...

tensixmom

We just got off a short cruise on the Miracle- we were in an aft balcony on deck 5.

While we did experience a bit of weather (rain) and some energetic seas (more movement than I usually feel), those did not bother us in the least.  What DID bother us was at night when we were trying to sleep- we were moving very slowly (around 1.2 or 1.3 knots) the first three nights and there were maddening, intermittent  "bumps" against what I presume was the hull.  It shook the floor, and was magnified by (I presume) the bed/mattress set up.  They either kept us awake, or woke us up many times throughout the night.

The only night we did not experience it was our last night coming back from Ensenada to Long Beach, when we were traveling quite a bit faster (around the 13 knots range).

I would happily book the Miracle again but will definitely steer clear of any of the aft balconies as I have no way to know how far "up" that shaking and shuddering can be felt.  (I have been in an aft balcony before- different line and different ship- with no such effects).

Can anyone chime in with knowledge of how that feeling is affected by travel speed?  Is it just as simple as "the waves are more easily felt when traveling slowly"?  

5 hours ago, tensixmom said:

We just got off a short cruise on the Miracle- we were in an aft balcony on deck 5.

While we did experience a bit of weather (rain) and some energetic seas (more movement than I usually feel), those did not bother us in the least.  What DID bother us was at night when we were trying to sleep- we were moving very slowly (around 1.2 or 1.3 knots) the first three nights and there were maddening, intermittent  "bumps" against what I presume was the hull.  It shook the floor, and was magnified by (I presume) the bed/mattress set up.  They either kept us awake, or woke us up many times throughout the night.

The only night we did not experience it was our last night coming back from Ensenada to Long Beach, when we were traveling quite a bit faster (around the 13 knots range).

I would happily book the Miracle again but will definitely steer clear of any of the aft balconies as I have no way to know how far "up" that shaking and shuddering can be felt.  (I have been in an aft balcony before- different line and different ship- with no such effects).

Can anyone chime in with knowledge of how that feeling is affected by travel speed?  Is it just as simple as "the waves are more easily felt when traveling slowly"?  

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Sounds to me like this is a combination of slow steaming and following seas, where the seas catch up from behind and slap the flat bottom of the hull at the stern.

I may have suggested that it was the ship hitting whales to some annoying tablemates.  😇

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Sounds to me like this is a combination of slow steaming and following seas, where the seas catch up from behind and slap the flat bottom of the hull at the stern.

I was hoping you would chime in!

Thanks... it was very annoying so I will be more careful the next time I choose a cabin.  Normally I love an aft balcony!

On this particular itinerary, the Captain has nothing but time to kill so the cruising is often quite slow and in circles. In the winter months, this can be an advantage as the apparent wind over the deck is nil, often helpful in the chilly temps.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I may have suggested that it was the ship hitting whales to some annoying tablemates.  😇

funny you say that.  On our Hawaii cruise last year, on one of the nights heading back to Long Beach about 5 am the ship we came flying up off our bed about a foot.  First time I ever experienced an up and down movement like that.  I jokingly said to my wife we hit a whale.  We were on the Miracle. 

We board the Miracle tomorrow.  I know we're in an ocean view room near the bottom of the guest area, and I honestly couldn't remember if we were in the aft or the stern. 🤔  I just double checked.  We're all the way forward, (on the lowest passenger floor).  ☺️ Crises averted. 😆 

2 minutes ago, deelightfull said:

We board the Miracle tomorrow.  I know we're in an ocean view room near the bottom of the guest area, and I honestly couldn't remember if we were in the aft or the stern. 🤔  I just double checked.  We're all the way forward, (on the lowest passenger floor).  ☺️ Crises averted. 😆 

You will hear some noise and feel vibrations during docking operations from the bow thrusters.

• Like 1

That, we're used to. But we've never been quite this low before.  It'll be interesting to see how much lowder it is on the first floor vs the fourth. 

When we were on the fourth it woke me once or twice, but then I rolled over and went back to sleep. I much prefer the "thrum" to the time on the  Radiance when we were right under the gym.  All the early morning pounding! 😆. Even that wasn't the worst. 

We're apartment dwellers in a medium sized city.  Even at home we have plenty of noise outside our bedroom window and from upstairs and downstairs neighbors! At least this way I'm still on a cruise ship! 😁

3 hours ago, jsglow said:

On this particular itinerary, the Captain has nothing but time to kill so the cruising is often quite slow and in circles. In the winter months, this can be an advantage as the apparent wind over the deck is nil, often helpful in the chilly temps.

I think it was returning from Nassau one time when the ship was doing slow big circles when the water was like glass when this guy said something to his wife.  She started arguing with him that no, we were going back to Miami.  She was insistent.  He asked her which direction was the sun going to set and why was the sun now on the other side of the ship.  

• Haha 1

On 2/11/2024 at 2:05 PM, tensixmom said:

I would happily book the Miracle again but will definitely steer clear of any of the aft balconies

Same for us (on Miracle) - we didn't experience exactly what you did but the vibrations during the night (for no apparent reason, not coming into port or anything) were brutal.  It not only woke me up but gave me a headache.  Between that and all the soot on our balcony, we don't care for aft balconies.

11 hours ago, deelightfull said:

Aft and stern are the same thing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, deelightfull said:

🤦‍♀️ the aft or the PROW of the boat.  Our rooms are in the PROW. 

Thanks

Ok great. You said you couldnt remember if your room was aft or stern in your post. I was just trying to say aft and stern are the same location.

Edited by stobe1