NCL Star passenger revolt

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Wow, those pictures are gorgeous! My wife has hinted at cruising to Antarctica ever since two of her favorite YouTubers went there. Maybe we'll go on Celebrity. Those photos are stunning! Thanks for posting them here.

You're welcome. I have been up since about 5am taking pictures and short videos. I've also seen penguins and whales. Unfortunately, I'm not quick enough to catch the whales on camera and the penguins were too small to see in the pics. So I  decided to focus more on taking in the memories vs looking through a camera lens waiting for the whales to cooperate. 😝.

Celebrity is a nice cruise line but it is much quieter than NCL. I like sailing both and just match my expectations based on which line I'm sailing. 

Becky. 

**I call this first picture a speed boat and the other one a submarine. Our butler showed us a picture she took of an iceberg that looked like a whale tale. 

PXL_20240223_175930157.MP.jpg

PXL_20240223_120849840.MP.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Wow, those pictures are gorgeous! My wife has hinted at cruising to Antarctica ever since two of her favorite YouTubers went there. Maybe we'll go on Celebrity. Those photos are stunning! Thanks for posting them here.

We were there in Dec. We were fortunate that the weather cooperated,

These guys hitchhiked on an iceberg.

IMG_3622.JPG

Edited by GALSews
updating
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GALSews said:

We were there in Dec. We were fortunate that the weather cooperated,

I'd intended to have this picture with a whale spouting. I uploaded the wrong one before. IMG_3660.thumb.JPG.f51f62e9a91ee2889fa476ebce15815b.JPGYou may need to use your imagination, though. (Anselm Adams would not have seen me as competition.) (The whale if just a little below dead center.)

At one point we counted 5 whales just behind the ship. It was an amazing day!

The luckiest shot I got..

image.png.b16cba6a29351d5971db0f3168a59fca.png

Edited by GALSews
updating
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, VJWcruiser said:

There were quite a few elderly people on the cruise. The cost of flying to Buenos Aires from North America, Europe, Asia and Australia can be very restrictive. Add to that, the premium on an Antarctic cruise. So yes, for many, including  me, it was a once in a lifetime experience. 

OK, I can sort of understand that. In my experience, there seem to be a lot of people who cruise whom one might categorize as elderly. And yet, it also seems that they do cruise a lot. (And good for them, BTW- traveling is how I intend to spend most of my retirement!) Therefore, based on that, I was surprised that some characterized THIS cruise as once-in-a-lifetime. I have met people in their 70s and 80s on cruises who take 10-12 cruises a year. So for me, it would seem like there's more than just one chance for such a cruise.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GALSews said:

I'd intended to have this picture with a whale spouting. I uploaded the wrong one before. IMG_3660.thumb.JPG.f51f62e9a91ee2889fa476ebce15815b.JPGYou may need to use your imagination, though. (Anselm Adams would not have seen me as competition.) (The whale if just a little below dead center.)

At one point we counted 5 whales just behind the ship. It was an amazing day!

That's how my pictures turned out too. I just took a picture of 2 penguins floating by on a iceberg and all I see are two black dots. But this one has a few more dots. 

PXL_20240223_154333897.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

OK, I can sort of understand that. In my experience, there seem to be a lot of people who cruise whom one might categorize as elderly. And yet, it also seems that they do cruise a lot. (And good for them, BTW- traveling is how I intend to spend most of my retirement!) Therefore, based on that, I was surprised that some characterized THIS cruise as once-in-a-lifetime. I have met people in their 70s and 80s on cruises who take 10-12 cruises a year. So for me, it would seem like there's more than just one chance for such a cruise.

We cruise a lot and I'm only 63 but this is also a once in a lifetime cruise for us due to health issues. We are spending this year completing bucket list activities. The week before the cruise I got to throw beads off a Mardi Gras float! (Bucket list)  But I also think that many frequent cruisers bring family members with them that for whatever reasons such as health or economics would ordinarily  be unable to go. For instance my older brother and his wife are for all intense purposes confined to their house. We took them on a cruise to Canada several years back with all their medical equipment in tow. They were never able to get off the ship but truly enjoyed the experience and will never be able to do it again.  We've also taken family and friends on cruises who would ordinarily not be able to afford to go. Again it was a once in a lifetime experience for them. I've also met  young parents who brought their terminally ill child on a cruise for that once in a brief lifetime experience. Sometimes I too forget how fortunate I have been in life. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, BecT said:

Sometimes I too forget how fortunate I have been in life. 

When things don't go as planned while on a cruise, I try and remember how lucky I am to be able (physically and financially) to cruise at all. One of the reasons I try to stay clear of bashing the beleaguered crew on cruise ships is that I know from talking to them, how poor some of their families are. It frankly drives me crazy sometimes to read tales of *woe* from people who can't get their favorite Scotch on the ship, when the person serving drinks has a family back home without running water or electricity. All of that said (and sorry for the tangent), you make a good point about certain cruises being truly once in a lifetime. I heard people say similar things last November when I was in the Mediterranean. But it was coming from people in their 20s and 30s who were whining about missing Tuscany and how they'd "never" get the chance to do that again. Oh, please. That was a bit rich and melodramatic for me.... 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BecT said:

We cruise a lot and I'm only 63 but this is also a once in a lifetime cruise for us due to health issues. We are spending this year completing bucket list activities. The week before the cruise I got to throw beads off a Mardi Gras float! (Bucket list)  But I also think that many frequent cruisers bring family members with them that for whatever reasons such as health or economics would ordinarily  be unable to go. For instance my older brother and his wife are for all intense purposes confined to their house. We took them on a cruise to Canada several years back with all their medical equipment in tow. They were never able to get off the ship but truly enjoyed the experience and will never be able to do it again.  We've also taken family and friends on cruises who would ordinarily not be able to afford to go. Again it was a once in a lifetime experience for them. I've also met  young parents who brought their terminally ill child on a cruise for that once in a brief lifetime experience. Sometimes I too forget how fortunate I have been in life. 

Your comment is heartwarming and touching. None of us know when we disembark a ship whether that will be our last time ever on a ship.

Antarctica is a special place. Buenos Aires and/or Ushuiaia are not the easiest airports to get to in the world for the vast, vast majority of CC readers.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

When things don't go as planned while on a cruise, I try and remember how lucky I am to be able (physically and financially) to cruise at all. One of the reasons I try to stay clear of bashing the beleaguered crew on cruise ships is that I know from talking to them, how poor some of their families are. It frankly drives me crazy sometimes to read tales of *woe* from people who can't get their favorite Scotch on the ship, when the person serving drinks has a family back home without running water or electricity. All of that said (and sorry for the tangent), you make a good point about certain cruises being truly once in a lifetime. I heard people say similar things last November when I was in the Mediterranean. But it was coming from people in their 20s and 30s who were whining about missing Tuscany and how they'd "never" get the chance to do that again. Oh, please. That was a bit rich and melodramatic for me.... 

Exactly. We took a shore excursion to A Carib Indian village in Dominique. While their my husband had a conversation with the village chief. My husband mentioned he had just built a 16*24' shed. Before he could say anything else the Chief said "Wow, that's big you live in a mansion!".  That comment put our lives in perspective. I always love interacting with staff because I learn so much about other people and their cultures. I'm always amazed by their stories. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Your comment is heartwarming and touching. None of us know when we disembark a ship whether that will be our last time ever on a ship.

Antarctica is a special place. Buenos Aires and/or Ushuiaia are not the easiest airports to get to in the world for the vast, vast majority of CC readers.

Thank you. I agree we just never know what tomorrow brings and to always cherish today. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I would, too, but I'm curious: why do you say "once-in-a-lifetime"? Are you suggesting all of the passengers are unable to book such a cruise in the future? Many people on Cruise Critic take trips multiple times a year. I wasn't aware most of the people on that sailing were on their last cruise ever. Is that true?

Actually I said "my once-in-a-lifetime".  I made no suggestions as to the other people who book cruises.  We have WAY too many places on our list to spend a ton of money and vacation time to visit the same place over and over in the hopes to see the one thing we hoped to see on our first visit.  But thank you for reminding me why I try not to comment on Cruise Critic posts.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

Actually I said "my once-in-a-lifetime".  I made no suggestions as to the other people who book cruises.  We have WAY too many places on our list to spend a ton of money and vacation time to visit the same place over and over in the hopes to see the one thing we hoped to see on our first visit.  But thank you for reminding me why I try not to comment on Cruise Critic posts.

We have an excel spreadsheet with a list of places we want to see. We also go by the go to a place once because there are so many places to see. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

It’s a really long and tiring haul down to Buenos Aires from the U.S.  (I’ve done it, and as much as I loved Buenos Aires, it’s not a flight I’d be eager to repeat.) And these particular cruises are not cheap. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

It’s a really long and tiring haul down to Buenos Aires from the U.S.  (I’ve done it, and as much as I loved Buenos Aires, it’s not a flight I’d be eager to repeat.) And these particular cruises are not cheap. 

You're correct. I am younger than most on this board... and I did the USA to Buenos Aires (and then Ushuiaia route) last December and I'm doing it again in a week. I am not looking forward to it... at all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I did travel to BA back in 2007. I don't remember it being that much more of a hassle than going to Europe, but maybe it was. I get that these cruises aren't cheap, but remember this is Cruise Critic. Lots of people who post on here think nothing of dropping $5,000 pp for a Haven cabin (not me), so I'm not sure price is the deciding factor.

On 2/21/2024 at 3:41 PM, BirdTravels said:

They never see the emails that are sent to their outward facing email addresses. Yes, there are thousands of them weekly. Emails sent to these addresses go to a guest services desk where they respond with legally-approved responses. It makes people feel good that the big bosses have responded... when it is really just a customer service rep. 

incorrect.

incorrect.

incorrect.

correct/incorrect.

lawd have mercy!

this old chestnut again?

this has been debunked and disproved many times.

18 hours ago, pete_coach said:

So you found three 6 year old issues?

You asked me what I was referring to, so yes, NCL was on a roll in 2018 making headlines.  Would you prefer I had not taken you up on your challenge, and share what I was referring to?

Summary:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/norwegian-cruise-passengers-angry-1.4603237

My interpretation:  Passengers paid the standard fare for a Panama Canal cruise, and had a big surprise of the common areas closed off for major renovations, loud construction, severe dust and chemical pollution.

Your interpretationOne had some repairs that need to be done.

https://www.wptv.com/news/world/norwegian-jade-cruise-ships-mechanical-issues-strand-thousands-of-passengers-in-puerto-rico

My interpretation: The cruise line was not transparent about the mechanical issues initially.  NCL didn't book enough charter flights, so passengers were stranded in San Juan for days at their own expense for lodging, food, and in some cases, their flight home.  

Your interpretation: Another had mechanical failures and the ship could not sail.

https://www.newsweek.com/norwegian-cruise-havana-passengers-stranded-1250626

My interpretation:  NCL changed the departure time to 3 hours earlier without informing all passengers of the change, which lead to 22 people being stranded in Havana.  They lost their luggage, and had to find their own way home.

Your interpretation:  One about 2 passengers that failed to get aboard on time and the ship left without them?

This is why challenges are fascinating, and they should result in a learning experience for everyone.  I got to see how some NCL fans interpret news and events, you got to see the same from someone who's never sailed on NCL.

3 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

You asked me what I was referring to, so yes, NCL was on a roll in 2018 making headlines.  Would you prefer I had not taken you up on your challenge, and share what I was referring to?

Summary:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/norwegian-cruise-passengers-angry-1.4603237

My interpretation:  Passengers paid the standard fare for a Panama Canal cruise, and had a big surprise of the common areas closed off for major renovations, loud construction, severe dust and chemical pollution.

https://www.wptv.com/news/world/norwegian-jade-cruise-ships-mechanical-issues-strand-thousands-of-passengers-in-puerto-rico

My interpretation: The cruise line was not transparent about the mechanical issues initially.  NCL didn't book enough charter flights, so passengers were stranded in San Juan for days at their own expense for lodging, food, and in some cases, their flight home.  

Your interpretation: Another had mechanical failures and the ship could not sail.

My interpretation:  NCL changed the departure time to 3 hours earlier without informing all passengers of the change, which lead to 22 people being stranded in Havana.  They lost their luggage, and had to find their own way home.

Your interpretation:  One about 2 passengers that failed to get aboard on time and the ship left without them?

This is why challenges are fascinating, and they should result in a learning experience for everyone.  I got to see how some NCL fans interpret news and events, you got to see the same from someone who's never sailed on NCL.

It is my recollection that the cruise you referenced was the first cruise after dry dock. NCLcould have canceled the cruise when they realized how much work needed to be finished. But then you would have seen complaint similar to what Princess is going through with the Sun. 

There are similar events with other cruise lines during the same time period.

NCL is my least favorite line out of the NA mass market lines. But their track record is pretty similar to other NA mass Market lines.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I did travel to BA back in 2007. I don't remember it being that much more of a hassle than going to Europe, but maybe it was. I get that these cruises aren't cheap, but remember this is Cruise Critic. Lots of people who post on here think nothing of dropping $5,000 pp for a Haven cabin (not me), so I'm not sure price is the deciding factor.

About 9 hours non stop from Miami, so about the same as Europe depending upon where in the US one is. Without the massive time change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Summary:

Just pointing out to you that NCL is not and was not the only cruise line that has had difficulty with mechanical, weather, regulations, or change of rules from time to time.

As for the guests, well, if 2000+ passengers made it back on time, I suggest to you that those people did not listen or pay attention to the change announcement.

Lastly, as I have said numerous times, I am not a NCL cheerleader.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/13/2024 at 7:36 AM, CroozeNoob said:

Without an honest explanation, I would be contacting my lawyer, or throwing the captain in the Brigg!

Contacting your lawyer and saying what?  NCL clearly states they may change the itinerary.

Throwing the Captain in the Brigg on what charges and who's authority?

31 minutes ago, itsnotjustme said:

Contacting your lawyer and saying what?  NCL clearly states they may change the itinerary.

The Supreme Court might have a different opinion.

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, itsnotjustme said:

Somebody on CC is discussing mutiny. Do you think they're being serious?

• Haha 1