NCL Star passenger revolt

This has blown up all over the cruise vlogs.  Apparently the bucket list destination Antartica has been removed from the recent Star sailings after the passengers boarded.  There is no explanation of a "go slow" order. No government issued such an order and its speculated that the Star has propulsion issues?  NCL will not comment or explain it.  Passengers engaged in a revolt in the atrium demanding answers.  
I get it.  These cruises are so expensive and Antartica is a bucket list destination.  I can't imagine booking this and then boarding and then being told Antartica is no longer on the itinerary since we have to go "slower."  Yet its not explained why they have to go slower?  

Norwegian Cruise Lines drops Antarctica from itineraries leaving passengers furious - NZ Herald

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

This has blown up all over the cruise vlogs.  Apparently the bucket list destination Antartica has been removed from the recent Star sailings after the passengers boarded.  There is no explanation of a "go slow" order. No government issued such an order and its speculated that the Star has propulsion issues?  NCL will not comment or explain it.  Passengers engaged in a revolt in the atrium demanding answers.  
I get it.  These cruises are so expensive and Antartica is a bucket list destination.  I can't imagine booking this and then boarding and then being told Antartica is no longer on the itinerary since we have to go "slower."  Yet its not explained why they have to go slower?  

Norwegian Cruise Lines drops Antarctica from itineraries leaving passengers furious - NZ Herald

Heard about this yesterday.  I get it.  I'm afraid the reason for this is an explanation NCL does not want to give....maybe crafting spin.

Personally, unless there were a full refund, I'd protest, too.

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Heard about this yesterday.  I get it.  I'm afraid the reason for this is an explanation NCL does not want to give....maybe crafting spin.

I'm wondering whats up as well.. Is there a mechanical issue they aren't discussing..

Lots of conflicting information here.

Any updates beyond her?

• Like 1

I believe the Star has had propulsion issues on and off for years! Time to retire this ship. 
In 2019 or 2020 can’t remember but it was before shutdown, my TA was cancelled on her for this issue , they shifted the passengers to the Dawn with a sailing date a week later!! Took many phone calls to get a 100% refund as the new dates didn’t work for me and of course they did this after final payment

Edited by njkate
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CroozeNoob said:

Without an honest explanation, I would be contacting my lawyer, or throwing the captain in the Brigg!

How exactly do we tell which explanation is "honest"?  I'm simply seeing a lot of unsupported speculation here. The linked story cites speed issues in 2005 and 2015 without any indication that those issues are relevant today.

The linked article also states:

The body responsibly for governing Antarctic tourism IAATO brought into effect slower speed restrictions this summer 2023-24, for the protection of migratory whales, but members like NCL had been aware of the change since 2021.

What I don't get is that if the IAATO introduced "slower spped restrictions this summer", how could NCL have been aware of the "this summer" change three years ago? Honestly, did the IAATO do this as reported, or did they do it back in 2021?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

How exactly do we tell which explanation is "honest"?  I'm simply seeing a lot of unsupported speculation here. The linked story cites speed issues in 2005 and 2015 without any indication that those issues are relevant today.

The linked article also states:

The body responsibly for governing Antarctic tourism IAATO brought into effect slower speed restrictions this summer 2023-24, for the protection of migratory whales, but members like NCL had been aware of the change since 2021.

What I don't get is that if the IAATO introduced "slower spped restrictions this summer", how could NCL have been aware of the "this summer" change three years ago? Honestly, did the IAATO do this as reported, or did they do it back in 2021?

True

I recall when all of this was being passed--and size of vessels etc restricted, number of vessels etc. 

We had been planning on trying to sail that region--then started looking at expeditions and the $$$$ for expedition style is shocking... Next thing you know the restrictions roll in

Maybe due to that.

• Haha 1

Honesty is always the best policy.  Stuff happens and decisions have to be made.  NCL got flamed many years ago when it would not cancel cruises and kept the Star sailing at reduced speed and changed ports.   Cancelling the cruises would be a big financial blow.   This statement is what annoys people:

“To enhance the guest experience, the ship’s current itinerary was revised to allow more time for guests to explore Stanley, Falkland Islands. As such, the cruise by Paradise Bay, Antarctica was replaced with a cruise by Admiralty Bay,” on Antarctica’s South Shetland Island chain.

Many if not the majority of passengers booked that cruise for Antartica.  Is that not pouring salt into the wounds of the angry passengers.  Worse things can happen on a cruise but I think the passengers deserve honest answers.  

Those rushing to defend NCL claiming an old existing slow order should understand that has been in effect for years (per the article).  So why put Antartica on the itinerary for customers to book if this has been known for years?  Something just does not make sense.  I put myself in their shoes. I could accept if it was announced some mechanical issues made them have to change itineraries.  That I can accept.  But that statement is not honest IMHO.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 15
  • Haha 1

I was on the Star the sailing before last (early January departure). We too were hit with some extra speed restrictions and lost port time but no ports (well we did loose one due to weather) or sea stops. It was a fantastic voyage but the changes before, and some were during the cruise, were very badly communicated and the communication from the Sore Ex team was terrible.

Having said that I do not believe what the passengers are seeing now is anything but what has been forced on the company. However the communication appears to have been even worse than on my sailing. Come on NCL, get some with a spine in customer service to put their head above the parapet and tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth to the people who pay your slary!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like the change happened after final and just before departure.  An increasingly common occurrence at NCL and frankly other lines.  I wonder if the folks that did not receive emails were folks that used TA's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, JulianB said:

I was on the Star the sailing before last (early January departure). We too were hit with some extra speed restrictions and lost port time but no ports (well we did loose one due to weather) or sea stops. It was a fantastic voyage but the changes before, and some were during the cruise, were very badly communicated and the communication from the Sore Ex team was terrible.

Having said that I do not believe what the passengers are seeing now is anything but what has been forced on the company. However the communication appears to have been even worse than on my sailing. Come on NCL, get some with a spine in customer service to put their head above the parapet and tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth to the people who pay your slary!

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Antartica is always a risk for many reasons.  Anything can happen to change things.  I feel for the Captain who has to parrot that corporate statement.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Antartica is always a risk for many reasons.  Anything can happen to change things.  I feel for the Captain who has to parrot that corporate statement.

Weather makes or breaks so many holidays especially so in Antarctica.

I should have added that that their revised itinerary (and I do feel for them) now appears to be the same as last years itinerary. I nearly booked to go last year but then saw this year's was better. Maybe they thought they could stretch the distances and go further south and now find that they can't and stay with the limits. Again ..... if that's the case stand up and tell people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CroozeNoob said:

Without an honest explanation, I would be contacting my lawyer, or throwing the captain in the Brigg!

Unfortunately, every passenger in every cruise signs a contract which allows such change without compensation. Your lawyer would tell you such. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Regardless of the contract, these passengers should receive some type of “goodwill” credit.  And, I suspect NCL corporate is having those discussions.  If they’re not…shame shame on them and they deserve significant bad press. Social media is strong. 

What do you feel is appropriate compensation?  IMO, a FCC of 25% cruise fare paid, along with OBC for port fees and credit card refund for excursions.  

Future sailings that are affected should be given the option to cancel with full refund, no penalty.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Unfortunately, every passenger in every cruise signs a contract which allows such change without compensation. Your lawyer would tell you such. 

Not in Europe... In this case the "go slow" order is nothing unexpeced but was announced quite a while ago. So they should have known earlier about it.

steamboats

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

11 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Regardless of the contract, these passengers should receive some type of “goodwill” credit.  And, I suspect NCL corporate is having those discussions.  If they’re not…shame shame on them and they deserve significant bad press. Social media is strong. 

What do you feel is appropriate compensation?  IMO, a FCC of 25% cruise fare paid, along with OBC for port fees and credit card refund for excursions.  

I would not be asking for a "goodwill credit". I would be looking for a refund of my cruise fare in the form of a FCC. ShoreEx refunds must be given as refundable OBC (which you can immediately go to Guest Services to get a cash refund). Port Fees, if any since there was a substitution, would be a refundable OBC (which you can get cash for). 

• Like 2

I have friends that were just on an Antarctic cruise. While not on NCL, they had to miss some areas due to visitor restrictions.

Their Captain explained this issue and while disappointment, they were also given more time in other areas.

Not saying this was the case but as my friends mentioned, they were surprised by the amount of ships down there.

"One aspect of Antarctic tourism that restricts visitor numbers is the limited tourist season, this limitation is placed by the weather and in particular by the movements of sea ice. The limited tourist season does however coincide with the breeding season for most Antarctic wildlife with the potential for disturbance." https://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica fact file/science/threats_tourism.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would be furious if I was on this cruise.  All of us understand changes/eliminations of ports due to weather or unforeseen mechanical problems.  This doesn't sound unforseen, more of a bait and switch.  

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

I would not be asking for a "goodwill credit". I would be looking for a refund of my cruise fare in the form of a FCC. ShoreEx refunds must be given as refundable OBC (which you can immediately go to Guest Services to get a cash refund). Port Fees, if any since there was a substitution, would be a refundable OBC (which you can get cash for). 

A 100% FCC is unreasonable IMO.  And, coming from you makes me SMH.  You are such a staunch advocate of the cruise contract.  When multiple ports in the Caribbean are missed you are first to remind everyone that the cruise line owes you nothing.  They are on a cruise, and they are going to ports.  What makes this different?

As one previous person mentioned, Antarctic excursions are very expensive…I would question the amount of cash onboard, which is why I suggest the credit card refund, which could be facilitated by onshore excursions department.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

To enhance the guest experience,

This phrase and its variations always puts me in a foul mood. All the cruise lines use it and it is just insulting.

Just a couple months ago I got a missive from X informing me that our stop in Key West would be an hour and a half shorter. It started with the same phrase. Somehow, less time in a beautiful port enhances my experience??

Not near as serious as this NCL Antarctica thing, but the mindset is the same. Something that nobody wants is presented as in the best interest of the patron. 

And I certainly agree...honesty is the best policy. 

• Like 9

Just now, Two Wheels Only said:

It's better than "...for your convenience..." 😉

You are so right!! That would drive me into the depths of despair...and take a double dose of blood pressure meds 🥺

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JulianB said:

Weather makes or breaks so many holidays especially so in Antarctica.

I should have added that that their revised itinerary (and I do feel for them) now appears to be the same as last years itinerary. I nearly booked to go last year but then saw this year's was better. Maybe they thought they could stretch the distances and go further south and now find that they can't and stay with the limits. Again ..... if that's the case stand up and tell people.

Thank you - I went last year and was scratching my head trying to think what they were missing. Didn't realize the itinerary was different. We saw LOTS of Antarctica - sadly missed Stanley due to weather.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Unfortunately, every passenger in every cruise signs a contract which allows such change without compensation.

generally held principles of customer service would argue that they may not be entitled to compensation, but they are entitled to an explanation. and generally held principles of customer service would argue that they should receive both.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1