NCL Star passenger revolt

1 hour ago, Corriegr said:

This now an absolute PR disaster for NCL with Good Morning America now posting on the Star FB page trying to catch up with passengers . 

Yes, I saw this.  The changes also apply to the Feb 18th cruise.  The  cruise departing January 21, also had an issue re: missing Stanley on Feb1; while the Sapphire Princess and Azamara Quest tendered there.  Passengers were initially told (the day before), it was due to weather, but discover differently through contacts on the island (such as their private tour vendors and port authorities), as well as, passengers on the Sapphire Princess.  

On that cruise, there was a gathering of a large group of unhappy Argentines in the Atrium.  

We were considering the  same cruise for 2025, but now looking at the Sapphire Princess. The words “and Antarctica”, have since been removed from the title of the cruises for 2024 and 2025. That happened this weekend. 

• Like 2

As I understand it based on the size of the ship, there wasn't going to be any landings in Antartica so was it just going to be a sail by, am I correct?  Not downplaying the passengers disappointment but trying to understand exactly what they are missing.  The Shetlands are also amazing!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I have a question - was there an actual stop scheduled (Paradise Bay) - or did they just change the sail-by route?

Great question.  Changes the scope of the change if it was just for viewing.

The IAATO announced in 2021 that a 10 knot speed restriction would be developed in some geofenced areas for some, but not all, time periods in the season. but they did not specify when the restriction would be put in place, nor which geofenced areas or time periods would be affected. Last season there was a voluntary trial of restrictions in some areas, but not all. In September they announced the restrictions were set to go into effect this season, but there was no mention of exact dates/times, nor any information on what geofenced areas would be affected. So, while there's no proof available that I can find, it's quite possible the IAATO either waited until the last minute to announce the geofenced areas and time periods, or they made a change to them with very little notice.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MarciAnn said:

As I understand it based on the size of the ship, there wasn't going to be any landings in Antartica so was it just going to be a sail by, am I correct?  Not downplaying the passengers disappointment but trying to understand exactly what they are missing.  The Shetlands are also amazing!

There would not be landings on the peninsula or continent. NCL isn't setup for that. That being said, you still get plenty of amazing views without stepping foot on land. The area is pristine and if you have sunny weather, I have yet to be anywhere on Earth like it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Unfortunately, every passenger in every cruise signs a contract which allows such change without compensation. Your lawyer would tell you such. 

Yet, cruise lines repeatedly violate the terms of the contract they create by offering compensation, OBC, etc. well, most cruise lines do it. Not because the contract requires it, but because it is the right thing to do for their passengers. I think it was Royal that had a ship delayed returning to the embarkation due to weather. Those booked with RCL air got rebooked on new flights.Those that had independent air were reimbursed change fees. NCL would have said, go file a claim with your insurance company. Of course, RCL stock is 6 times more valuable than NCL and RCL have the latest, most innovative, cutting edge ships unparalleled by anyone in the industry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corriegr said:

This now an absolute PR disaster for NCL with Good Morning America now posting on the Star FB page trying to catch up with passengers . 

They live in the chaos they create. NCL is like a magnet for bad publicity. They went through it with the NCL Sun construction cruise a few years ago. They learned nothing from that mess, evidently.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, omahabob said:

The IAATO announced in 2021 that a 10 knot speed restriction would be developed in some geofenced areas for some, but not all, time periods in the season. but they did not specify when the restriction would be put in place, nor which geofenced areas or time periods would be affected. Last season there was a voluntary trial of restrictions in some areas, but not all. In September they announced the restrictions were set to go into effect this season, but there was no mention of exact dates/times, nor any information on what geofenced areas would be affected. So, while there's no proof available that I can find, it's quite possible the IAATO either waited until the last minute to announce the geofenced areas and time periods, or they made a change to them with very little notice.

I do believe NCL would have stated it if a government agency was the reason behind the changes. Or maybe NCL is incapable of telling the truth even when it would be beneficial to them.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

There would not be landings on the peninsula or continent. NCL isn't setup for that. That being said, you still get plenty of amazing views without stepping foot on land. The area is pristine and if you have sunny weather, I have yet to be anywhere on Earth like it.

From some of the pics I’ve seen from this year’s cruises, it looks amazing. 

37 minutes ago, MarciAnn said:

It wasn’t sold as an Expedition cruise, that is quite clear.  It was sold as 2 full days of scenic cruising  in the  waters around the Antarctic Peninsula, with Paradise Bay as a highlight. 

Edited by milolii
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Yet, cruise lines repeatedly violate the terms of the contract they create by offering compensation, OBC, etc. well, most cruise lines do it. Not because the contract requires it, but because it is the right thing to do for their passengers.

There are definitely ways to make it right, and there are definitely ways to make it worse.

NCL confining the passengers to their quarters is also within NCL's legal right. Maybe they should do that to prevent a mutiny.

Maybe the cruise should make no port calls as well since that's within NCL's legal right that every passenger agreed to in the contract.

6 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

I do believe NCL would have stated it if a government agency was the reason behind the changes. Or maybe NCL is incapable of telling the truth even when it would be beneficial to them.

Not to sidetrack the conversation, but Antarctica has no government. IAATO membership is purely voluntary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Not to sidetrack the conversation, but Antarctica has no government. IAATO membership is purely voluntary.

Even if IAATO only suggested it I believe NCL would have stated it to avoid this public relations problem this is becoming.  If they would have stated they were asked to slow down to save the whales or something to that affect I don't think there would be such an uproar.

I just check the website today.  The word “Antarctica”  now again appears on the sailing titles. The original 2 days including Paradise Bay is now replaced with one day at Admiralty Bay and Elephant Island.  The map however, still shows a cruise in Paradise Bay.  This applies to 2024 and 2025 sailings.  So it doesn’t look like the issue will be resolved by next year.  

10 hours ago, edspec said:

I would be furious if I was on this cruise.  All of us understand changes/eliminations of ports due to weather or unforeseen mechanical problems.  This doesn't sound unforseen, more of a bait and switch.  

This sounds exactly like bait and switch, especially if they knew in advance and did not tell anyone.

• Like 3

According to their contract, they do have the right to drop ports for any reason.  But if they don't have a very good reason to do drop ports after final payment, especially once in a lifetime ones, they will lose the trust of their passengers.   

On my sailing, they dropped one port and the morning of another after final payment to help the environment.  They left the original itinerary on their website and continued to  sell the cruise for the following month with the original itinerary advertised including the dropped ports.  People who booked directly with NCL after the cancellations were not informed of the changes at the time of booking and they were not allowed to cancel.  I called and wasn't allowed to switch to an identical sailing a few weeks later, despite the fact that we chose this cruise for my daughter to visit the monkeys in the DR.  On my cruise, there was a significant percentage of passengers who were just happy to be out of the cold and have the drinking package.  NCL either needs to prioritize making ports whenever it is safe for them to do so (and I have no idea if there was a legitimate emergency this time) or sail just to the Caribbean, where people will be less likely to be upset about cancelled ports after final payment.

This has been an issue raised before 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

I have a question - was there an actual stop scheduled (Paradise Bay) - or did they just change the sail-by route?

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Great question.  Changes the scope of the change if it was just for viewing.

No, it doesn’t really “change the scope of the change.”  This was not an expedition cruise with landings on the Continent. It was a “drive by” (scenic cruising), with Paradise Bay (which is stunningly beautiful) being a highlight. (Big cruise ships don’t have “stops” in Antarctica.) The new itinerary, as I understand it, will not have scenic cruising off the Continent; that would be a huge change from the original. I don’t blame people on board for being upset.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

No, it doesn’t really “change the scope of the change

I should have said it changes my perspective of the change.  I initially thought they were stopping, setting foot on land with all sorts of amazing excursions.  Yes, I would be disappointed with the viewing change….but not nearly as much if we skipped a day in port.  

33 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

No, it doesn’t really “change the scope of the change.”  This was not an expedition cruise with landings on the Continent. It was a “drive by” (scenic cruising), with Paradise Bay (which is stunningly beautiful) being a highlight. (Big cruise ships don’t have “stops” in Antarctica.) The new itinerary, as I understand it, will not have scenic cruising off the Continent; that would be a huge change from the original. I don’t blame people on board for being upset.  

That's what I thought. I personally don't know what the difference is between cruising Paradise Bay vs the new itinerary (which is the itinerary I was on last year) - it's all beautiful, weather permitting.

But based on some of the comments you'd think that they were completely skipping Antarctica - they are not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, purpleally said:

Why?  They are on a cruise

I guess you did not recognize my sarcasm. Maybe it was my fault as I could have put in an emoji, but I really thought everyone would recognize the sarcasm. I do see that there have been others who responded to your post who did recognize I was being sarcastic.

36 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Well, I have looked at internet photos from both, and honestly, it appears there is not a huge difference.  (obviously, that is just a few photos) Rocky hills, ice, snow and penguins, with a chance of seals.

Neither are technically inside the Antarctic Circle, while both are inside the internationally recognized Antarctic protection zone.   Both are recognized as research areas, with different countries having small stations off the bays. 

Paradise Bay is a view of the "mainland", which is really part of the long peninsula, while Admiralty Bay is an island to the north by about  250 miles.   Since it is summer there, there is a chance of large ice flows between the two, which could be the case, but looks like we will never know.

Note:  There are no harbor pilots in this part of the world.  The crew is on their own for decisions made regarding the safety of the route taken. There are no local coast guards for rescue.  There are no on-shore weather stations to warn you of storms.  There are no local weather radars to access.  The ocean area to get to either place from the tip of South America is the worst in the world for storms, with stories of large rouge waves.  I believe a cruise ship was hit by one a few months ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

I should have said it changes my perspective of the change.  I initially thought they were stopping, setting foot on land with all sorts of amazing excursions.  Yes, I would be disappointed with the viewing change….but not nearly as much if we skipped a day in port.  

You were right the first time. Docking vs a drive-by definitely changes the scope of visit and thus the scope of the change, impact of the change, significance of the change, effect of the change, weight of the change, importance of the change, etc. Take your pick.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Antarctic protection zone

So the articles and reports online reporting that "NCL drops Antarctica from the itinerary" isn't correct?

Seems that way to me. I'd be upset like the rest of them had they switched at the last minute, but they're still technical going to Antarctica.

• Like 1