Please help me understand

After 25 cruises and two booked on Ncl I always wonder why

People expect not to wait for boarding when a full ship load of cruisers arrive basically at the same time.

People want to drag all their luggage, taking up elevator space when you typically can't get in the room.

Why some people believe they and their group have charted the ship so everyone else is in their way.

Why everyone wants a lounge chair next to the pool, but either never go in the pool or don't use them (chair hogs)

Expect 5 star fine dining 

Complain about waiting for elevators after a show gets out (2k people 4 to 6 elevators)

Expect compensation for not enjoying the cruise

Why do people insist on lining up 2 hr before disembarking, especially when they are taking their own luggage and goodie bags. Why are you in such a hurry to end your trip/ vacation 

Remember courtesy, kindness, patience to the crew and fellow cruisers!

Just curious, happy cruising 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, dcruiser50 said:

People expect not to wait for boarding when a full ship load of cruisers arrive basically at the same time.

People want to drag all their luggage, taking up elevator space when you typically can't get in the room.

Why some people believe they and their group have charted the ship so everyone else is in their way.

Why everyone wants a lounge chair next to the pool, but either never go in the pool or don't use them (chair hogs)

Expect 5 star fine dining 

Complain about waiting for elevators after a show gets out (2k people 4 to 6 elevators)

Expect compensation for not enjoying the cruise

Why do people insist on lining up 2 hr before disembarking, especially when they are taking their own luggage and goodie bags. Why are you in such a hurry to end your trip/ vacation 

I can only speak for myself and my DH, as we fall into portions of those scenarios….

Our excitement propels us to want to first at the terminal.  Yup, people are there trying to get off the ship…all of that.  The excitement has us internally screaming at everyone to “hurry up, vacations over, time to get off the ship because it is my turn.” We are happy to wait our turn though. We would rather wait at the terminal, than a hotel.  That time just drags.

I only take on with ME anything that I want to be sure that I have with me. A ch age of clothes, medications, electronic charging devices, anything that I would miss if our luggage was delayed.  I do everything I can to keep it out of others way.  If I have my small suitcase, that I take on the elevator, I will stand over it with it between my legs,  if we are at the buffet, it is under the table or some other place out of the way.  DH and I will take turns, he takes my suitcase and finds a table, I grab lunch and drinks for us both, then find him and we switch.  To us this is common sense.

we usually stay pretty mid ship, elevators and stairs right there,  we use them a lot.  I have bad knees, so going down the stairs is much easier than going up.  Frustrates me that many people will just shove onto an elevator, not letting the people on it OFF.  We are not going to cram in either.

Im not a string swimmer.  More of a frolicker.  I like to sit there and read, get some natural vitamin d, have an adult beverage, keep an eye on our things while DH gets drinks, or snacks or swims.  In 22 years of cruising I can count the number of times on one hand I actually have used a chair…my max is usually 2 hours, but it’s not left unattended. Ever.  And it is usually port days.

We totally get the frustration from people when ports are changed or missed, for whatever reason.  It maybe their only chance to visit.  It is a risk we take when we cruise though.  Your vacation (life really) is what you make of it. For us it is an adventure,  it’s out of our control what we can control is our response to it. What else I can control is my interaction with staff.  I tell them thank you, and hang in there, and I appreciate what they are doing, because there will be so many that are NOT nice, and will take the change personally and take it out on those around them, especially the staff.  I don’t expect compensation, though it is nice.  I usually book excursions exclusively through the cruise line, so excursions are automatically refunded if prepaid, or if booked on board it is taken from off account.  That is all I expect.  If I book an excursion outside of the ship, I confirm what happens in that event before I give them my money.

we do not walk off with luggage, we go when we are told, but we do go as soon as we can.  Not excited for the vacation to end, but want to get out of the way, because there is another 2000 people waiting to get their vacation started.  And the sooner we can get off the ship the sooner they can start cleaning rooms and turning it over,  we are ready the night before.  We get up, go to breakfast, come back get our stuff, and get to a public area (making sure the room steward is aware we are done and THANK YOU).

yes we are 2 plus hours early for flights (no matter the destination).  We would rather wait there, than run the risk of a delay out of our control, causing us to miss a flight or a cruise or whatever.  Yes, we fly to a cruise at least the night before, depending on the embarkation port and where we have to go….even our home port of San Diego, we will stay at a hotel the night before near the port.  We live 35-40 minutes from the port, but we will stay down town instead.

dh is a first in last out, if you’re not first you are last, if you are on time you are late type…and then add impatience in the mix,  we both feel that vacation starts when we leave home, but not truly until we are on the plane or on the ship ( depending on the style of vacation), 

happy sailing!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, dcruiser50 said:

I get that people have flights to catch but maybe make your flights for later in the day…

I like to eat breakfast, take my time getting back to my cabin to grab my luggage.  I don’t want to take too long because I know the crew wants to get in and get things ready for the new group coming on.  But I will push it as long as I can, and then I can pretty much just walk off the ship.  

1 hour ago, dcruiser50 said:

Are you an alien in disguise? 🙃 Human nature is incredibly predictable. 

• Haha 1

I haven’t waited in line more than 10 minutes to get onboard a ship yet, wait in a short line to drop off luggage, wait in another line to go through security, walk up to the person who checks you in then off you go onto the ship. I hope this streak continues through proper planning as well as luck. I don’t need to be first on the ship but when I board depends on what I want to do on land first. My cruises aren’t ones focused on lounging by the pool so that’s never been an issue but the people who take up big tables all day at the buffet drive me nuts when there isn’t room for those trying to grab a quick breakfast or lunch.

7 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

but the people who take up big tables all day at the buffet drive me nuts when there isn’t room for those trying to grab a quick breakfast or lunch.

I don't get perturbed often on a cruise, but seriously, you have nowhere else to hang out?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SoloAlaska said:

the people who take up big tables all day at the buffet drive me nuts when there isn’t room for those trying to grab a quick breakfast or lunch.

You mean the ones sitting there playing cards with people desperately looking for a seat swirming around them? Gotta love them... 😞 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, dcruiser50 said:

After 25 cruises and two booked on Ncl I always wonder why...

I always have a carry-on size suitcase with me. It's a hassle to drag it around while waiting for the room to be ready, but I have a change of clothes, swimsuit, toiletries, and any other essentials --- just in case my luggage is misplaced. I ALWAYS do this whether traveling by land, sea or air. 

Of course this is the biggest pet peeve on cruise critic. We don't spend a lot of time at the pool but do hit it for short periods. We don't need a chair right at poolside, but somewhere nearby to leave our towels and stuff while we are in the pool or hot tub. It is frustrating when EVERY chair is "occupied"

We take the stairs to walk off the 5* dining 🙂  Or we walk to the other end of the ship and take the elevators from there

100% agree. The problem is that stewards want you out of the room at the crack of dawn (I love our stewards, they are just trying to do their job). I'm not a morning person and would love to sleep an extra hour. But we are always awakened by 7am at the latest. Much banging and door slamming. So once up, what else are you going to do? Nothing happening on the ship aside from fighting the crowds in the buffet. At some point we just give in and join the line to get off the ship. We can't sleep in and nothing else to do so off we go...

Yes, I agree! More courtesty and patience is needed. We try our best and hope others will too. 

• Like 1

Ever been on a cruise out of the Med? Southern Europeans are notorious for cutting in lines. These trips also attract a fair amount of Asians and in their culture it's an endearing quality to push people aside when trying to get someplace. 

Say what you want about Americans but no doubt we're still the most patient and polite people, for the most part, on earth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, floridafish said:

These trips also attract a fair amount of Asians and in their culture it's an endearing quality to push people aside when trying to get someplace. 

i've traveled extensively through asia. i have never witnessed this.

perhaps affectionately among friends and family, but strangers? pushing people aside?

no. this is absolutely not something that is sanctioned "in their culture."

Say what you want about Americans but no doubt we're still the most patient and polite people, for the most part, on earth. 

what i want to say about my fellow amercans is that they - as a group - are among the world's least savvy travelers. and something seems to happen to many of them when they come onboard a cruise ship... all their intelligence,  tact, manners and respect for fellow humans seems to be left onshore.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Asawi said:

You mean the ones sitting there playing cards with people desperately looking for a seat swirming around them? Gotta love them... 😞 

This made me laugh. I remember a few times I would see a group or family owning the same table every day on a cruise , I would always think there are other things to do not the ship why are you sitting there every day ?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, floridafish said:

Ever been on a cruise out of the Med? Southern Europeans are notorious for cutting in lines. These trips also attract a fair amount of Asians and in their culture it's an endearing quality to push people aside when trying to get someplace. 

Considering Canadians are culturally known for their politeness I’d say your ranking may be off. Patience and politeness is not really what Americans are known for internationally. There’s a reason American tourists will lie and say they are Canadian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, UKstages said:

i've traveled extensively through asia. i have never witnessed this.

perhaps affectionately among friends and family, but strangers? pushing people aside?

no. this is absolutely not something that is sanctioned "in their culture."

what i want to say about my fellow amercans is that they - as a group - are among the world's least savvy travelers. and something seems to happen to many of them when they come onboard a cruise ship... all their intelligence,  tact, manners and respect for fellow humans seems to be left onshore.

You've never been to Mainland China. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Considering Canadians are culturally known for their politeness I’d say your ranking may be off. Patience and politeness is not really what Americans are known for internationally. There’s a reason American tourists will lie and say they are Canadian.

I would not label a culture I think its wrong. People that are rude or obnoxious are from everywhere. 

29 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Considering Canadians are culturally known for their politeness 

How true. I was on a RCL cruise many decades ago and our captain was a Canadian who got on the PA system and apologized every time we hit a patch of rough seas.

Edited by yakcruiser

1 hour ago, SoloAlaska said:

There’s a reason American tourists will lie and say they are Canadian.

yes, absolutely, it's so they are not a target for terrorists.

is there another reason?

You've never been to Mainland China. 

indeed i have.

what i have witnessed, and what i find puzzling, is that the chinese will often go to a cafe and sit at a table for six or eight and place a pack of cigarettes or a pack of tissues on the table as a placeholder for the five or seven people not present. that lone gesture is supposed to make the table off limits for all others... for a half hour or an hour until the other guests arrive.

pushing aside strangers? i have never seen that nor would i identify it as being indicative of any aspect of asian culture.

4 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Or South Korea.  

indeed i have.

35 minutes ago, UKstages said:

yes, absolutely, it's so they are not a target for terrorists.

is there another reason?

indeed i have.

what i have witnessed, and what i find puzzling, is that the chinese will often go to a cafe and sit at a table for six or eight and place a pack of cigarettes or a pack of tissues on the table as a placeholder for the five or seven people not present. that lone gesture is supposed to make the table off limits for all others... for a half hour or an hour until the other guests arrive.

pushing aside strangers? i have never seen that nor would i identify it as being indicative of any aspect of asian culture.

indeed i have.

Canadians have had a great reputation while travelling for many decades it just took a while for Americans to start abusing it. Cultural stereotypes are shifting however, who knows what will come in the next decades.

58 minutes ago, UKstages said:

We had a couple of Korean executives join our country club.  They offered to purchase for the club a very large TV which the club accepted.  The next Sunday, the executives were angry because the TV had been installed in the upstairs lounge rather than the main dining room.  They inisted the TV be moved or returned to them.  The club returned the TV. 

It seems the executives wanted to sit in the main dining room with their extended family (16 people more or less) and watch TV from around 11 AM to 4 PM.  This would have tied up at least three large, perhaps four tables.