Bringing on a 12-pack

shainamarie622

Hi all! We will be getting on the 7-day Mexican Riviera on Discovery Princess in exactly 7 days from today! So excited!! It’s been awhile since I cruised. I know each person can take on a 12-pack of canned soda. Is this limited to soda only? Can we bring on a 12-pack of energy drinks instead? Or canned coffee?

Also does is need to be in the original box or can we take the 12 cans out and put it in a bag? Couldn’t seem to find this info online and when I called the Cruiseline, the person I spoke to just seemed clueless and was saying yes to everything I said lol. Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

Yes to any non alcoholic beverages. They do not need to be in the original packaging. Plastic bottles are not allowed under the rules. Cans or cartons are allowed.

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our experience with liquids in plastic bottles has been in Florida only but they don't seem to care what you bring.

We've never been questioned, ever. 

Possibly other embarkation ports may differ. 

25 minutes ago, skynight said:

Yes to any non alcoholic beverages. They do not need to be in the original packaging. Plastic bottles are not allowed under the rules. Cans or cartons are allowed.

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

Thank you for providing Princess’s policy regarding bringing liquids onboard.  Glad to see that plastic bottles are prohibited.  So very harmful to the environment.  I think most guests would prefer cans or cartons, anyway.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, shainamarie622 said:

Hi all! We will be getting on the 7-day Mexican Riviera on Discovery Princess in exactly 7 days from today! So excited!! It’s been awhile since I cruised. I know each person can take on a 12-pack of canned soda. Is this limited to soda only? Can we bring on a 12-pack of energy drinks instead? Or canned coffee?

Also does is need to be in the original box or can we take the 12 cans out and put it in a bag? Couldn’t seem to find this info online and when I called the Cruiseline, the person I spoke to just seemed clueless and was saying yes to everything I said lol. Thanks for your help!

We will be on Discovery in a week too! I am always tempted to bring cans. But, by the time vacation rolls around, I have zero desire to carry it on. 😂 Whether you bring cans or not, here’s to hoping we have great weather next week!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Thank you for providing Princess’s policy regarding bringing liquids onboard.  Glad to see that plastic bottles are prohibited.  So very harmful to the environment.  I think most guests would prefer cans or cartons, anyway.

so the plastic bottles P sells / provides on board ...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, voljeep said:

so the plastic bottles P sells / provides on board ...

They use the plastic bottles that are environmentally friendly and can be recycled.  Where I live, these bottles are used everywhere.  The dilemma for Princess, is having to check each passengers bottles to see if they’re appropriate.  Easier to ban all plastic bottles.  One day, all plastic bottles will be manufactured to meet these standards,  Until then…….

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

I believe the issue is with people smuggling alcohol in plastic bottles and the time needed to inspect each one for tampering, not the plastic bottle itself.   

Makes sense now that you say it.  I completely forget about those folks who just have to find a way to smuggle booze onboard.  I have words for those people, but I won't share them with you. lol. And, here I thought it was Princess being environmentally responsible.  Oh, well. 

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I'm always boggled at the plastic bottles of water. People bring it aboard or get it from Princess. The amount of waste plastic from bottled water is staggering.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

I believe the issue is with people smuggling alcohol in plastic bottles and the time needed to inspect each one for tampering, not the plastic bottle itself.   

Maybe it's a small part of it. But, the prohibition came from a 2017 court ruling against Princess and Carnival regarding environmental violations. A part of that decision had to do with the disposal of plastics. At that time Princess began the prohibition of plastic bottles. While it's still in their rules, Princess themselves uses plastic bottles and seems to ignore for the most part plastic bottles that are carried on. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Ya think. 😉

We got away from using plastic bottles a while ago. It attracts to much unneeded attention.

There are better ways.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

I book with Plus but, if I wanted to smuggle liquor onboard in a soda bottle or sparkling water bottle, I guarantee I could do it with absolutely zero evidence of "tampering". I like getting served in the venues and having a wide variety available. Having to always fix a drink in my cabin and take it with me would be really annoying.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I book with Plus but, if I wanted to smuggle liquor onboard in a soda bottle or sparkling water bottle, I guarantee I could do it with absolutely zero evidence of "tampering". I like getting served in the venues and having a wide variety available. Having to always fix a drink in my cabin and take it with me would be really annoying.

Exactly!   Which is why plastic bottles are no longer allowed to be brought on board.    The 12 containers of soft drinks (including water) must be cans Or cartons 

• Like 2

Wow!  The thought hasn’t even entered my mind to sneak booze onto a cruiseship.  Kinda makes me feel icky.  I guess if you’re used to doing this sort of activity, you forget about the nastiness.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Exactly!   Which is why plastic bottles are no longer allowed to be brought on board.    The 12 containers of soft drinks (including water) must be cans Or cartons 

Thank you for verifying the policy.  Apparently, some people didn’t get the memo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Thank you for verifying the policy.  Apparently, some people didn’t get the memo.

So much better to purchase the Plus fare. Works very well for us. There always have been, and always will be, those who smuggle liquor onboard just as there always have been and always will be, those who go to Guest Services and remove the daily gratuity. Not my deal and not my problem. I'm not the "cruise police" so I just enjoy my cruise and don't worry about these things.

• Like 3

Just now, Thrak said:

So much better to purchase the Plus fare. Works very well for us. There always have been, and always will be, those who smuggle liquor onboard just as there always have been and always will be, those who go to Guest Services and remove the daily gratuity. Not my deal and not my problem. I'm not the "cruise police" so I just enjoy my cruise and don't worry about these things.

I agree 100%.  I’m always surprised when someone posts this weird stuff about smuggling.   Plus package all the way!

8 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I agree 100%.  I’m always surprised when someone posts this weird stuff about smuggling.   Plus package all the way!

Always amazes me that a couple will spend several thousand dollars on a cruise vacation and then smuggle liquor on board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Agreed with being able to go the venues and having a wide variety available. I like going to Crooners and trying out a new Martini or Good Spirits at Sea and get a mixology drink. Much better than trying to mix one up in your room, not the same experience. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Always amazes me that a couple will spend several thousand dollars on a cruise vacation and then smuggle liquor on board.

Exactly.  Somehow,  I think it’s not all about the money.  I thinks it’s about the idea of getting away with something.  

• Like 1