Here we go again... LIVE from Beyond, February 19, 2024

mac_tlc

On 2/22/2024 at 8:25 AM, Jeremiah1212 said:

Capt Kate did a great job explaining this on a video she posted. She knew despite explaining it as clear as she could it would still stir some complaints. As she said "this puts us in a little bit of a pickle".

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPR3VahB8/

OK,   NOW I see why people like Capt Kate so much.

• Like 3

What a great tour of Cartagena with Dora! 

But first, last night….

Dinner was at Luminae:

IMG_5745.jpeg

We both had the French Onion soup and a house salad:

IMG_5748.jpeg

The house salad is not on the menu nor is it on the Classics menu but Rozi said it’s available every night, with choice of dressing. 

Roasted half chicken:

IMG_5749.jpeg
and yes @Georgia_Peaches and @RichYak, that is a Bourbon and Peaches in the upper left corner 😜😜.

For dessert, I had the cheesecake off the classic menu —— and forgot to get a picture.

After dinner, we went to the show, Antonio Salci. We have seen him before and he is very good, especially when accompanied by the Beyond Orchestra.

IMG_5752.jpeg

IMG_5754.jpeg

IMG_5753.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 8

On 2/19/2024 at 1:23 PM, mac_tlc said:

Some obligatory embarkation day paperwork:

Elite Plus benefits:

IMG_5645.jpeg

IMG_5644.jpeg

Retreat offerings and times:

IMG_5646.jpeg

IMG_5647.jpeg

Day 1 Celebrity Today:

IMG_5638.jpeg

IMG_5639.jpeg

IMG_5640.jpeg

IMG_5641.jpeg

On 2/19/2024 at 1:23 PM, mac_tlc said:

Some obligatory embarkation day paperwork:

Elite Plus benefits:

IMG_5645.jpeg

IMG_5644.jpeg

Retreat offerings and times:

IMG_5646.jpeg

IMG_5647.jpeg

Day 1 Celebrity Today:

IMG_5638.jpeg

IMG_5639.jpeg

IMG_5640.jpeg

IMG_5641.jpeg

We greatly appreciate your review. It was a great source of information for all of us cruising on the Beyond within the next 5 weeks or in the near future.   You included the Celebrity Today , that was great. Most people do a review but  do not post the daily events  Thank you again. Enjoy that cruise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, traveline said:

We greatly appreciate your review. It was a great source of information for all of us cruising on the Beyond within the next 5 weeks or in the near future.   You included the Celebrity Today , that was great. Most people do a review but  do not post the daily events  Thank you again. Enjoy that cruise.

You are very welcome. Always good to provide something usefully to the future cruisers!

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

So, Cartagena!

The tour with Dora started at about 8am. Even with the wheelchair, the walk along the pier is manageable. However, there is a free shuttle to the end of the port area. Right at 8, we had all of our group — just 10 of us. She had two groups going out yesterday. 

At the pier in Categena is the Port Oasis eco park. 

IMG_5769.jpeg

IMG_5768.jpeg

It is free and is an open air park so any animals there are free to come and go. Lots of birds, flamingos and a monkey that we did not see. You have to walk through it to get outside the port to the taxi areas.

The wheelchair was no problem as Diego, our driver —- whose skills we would soon observe and appreciate— loaded it into the back of the small bus every time we got out and used it. 

WOW, the traffic..

IMG_5771.jpeg

Our first stop was at La Popa, the highest point in the city. There is a former monastery there. Overall I took over 100 pictures so I will try to pick the best few! From La Popa:

IMG_5779.jpeg

IMG_5778.jpeg

IMG_5783.jpeg

Every February 2nd, there is a large festival where the Virgin Mary is carried down the mountain from La Popa to a local church. There are 14 crosses along the route down, one for each station of the cross. The procession stops and prays at each one. This picture is of the older and heavier carrier for the virgin . It took eight men with wooden poles to carry it . Think Cleopatra being carried through the town.

IMG_5804.jpeg
Eveey year she would be dressed in a new white dress that is only used once. They are hanging here labeled with the year it was used.

IMG_5796.jpeg

The building itself is square with an open courtyard in the middle.

IMG_5791.jpeg

IMG_5788.jpeg

IMG_5790.jpeg

Next up : a trip to Castle San Felipe de Barajas and the walled old town!

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 10

As we proceeded down the steep hill from La Popa, Dora would give us info on the history of Cartegena. She is a native of the city and a wealth of knowledge. Much of the history is of European settlers and numerous attacks on the city by whatever country wasn’t in charge at the time. Pirates were very often found here. In the middle of the city is Castle San Felipe de Barajas:

IMG_5822.jpeg

It was built with no steps, only ramps, so the cannons and other heavy items could be rolled up. You can see the people walking up the steep ramps. 

IMG_5826.jpeg

Then we were on to the old city, which had a wall constructed in 1605 that completely surrounded it — no breaks in the wall. It was 11 km. Now 8km survive. You can walk on top of the wall by going up one of the very inclined walking ramps.

IMG_5830.jpeg

IMG_5837.jpeg

The old city is quite charming. Very narrow streets, wonderful architecture of various types. And lots of colorful flowers and shrubs. Here are a few pictures:

IMG_5833.jpeg

IMG_5842.jpeg

IMG_5844.jpeg

This part of the journey became a little more of a challenge with the wheelchair. Narrow crowded streets with even narrower sidewalks and a lot of people. With two ships in port of a decent size, It was very crowded. I would push my DW for a bit, then she would have to get out, walk a bit, maybe step up onto the sidewalk or down to the street, then back in the chair. There are a few spots with ramps to/from the street but even some of those had a lip that could be exciting. Hey it’s an old city—— that’s part of the charm. 

We stopped at a few fabulous churches:

IMG_5850.jpeg

IMG_5866.jpeg

IMG_5872.jpeg

IMG_5873.jpeg

We probably spent a little over an hour wandering the old city. It was great. Maybe a little hot, around 31C or 89F. 

In one of the churches they were putting together a floral arrangement of all white roses. 

IMG_5875.jpeg

IMG_5877.jpeg

IMG_5876.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 10

Next, headed back to the port and wandered through the eco park —-

IMG_5879.jpeg

IMG_5878.jpeg

IMG_5882.jpeg

IMG_5881.jpeg

IMG_5884.jpeg

All in all a great tour and one I would highly recommend. Group was small, Dora is a wealth of information on her city and its history. She also communicated frequently pre-cruise via email to confirm everything. It was $80USD per person, paid in cash after the tour was over. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 13

And today’s “chair hoggery” update: 

We turned the clocks forward and hour last night. My morning constitutional began at 7:45 ship time and this time I went u to the retreat sun deck first. Very few reserved chairs, plenty of availability including the day beds.

Heading down to the pool deck, any prime seat directly around the pool was “occupied”. Less were occupied on deck 15, and the Solarium had a number of available loungers. Granted this was only at 6:45 body time, 7:45 ship time. 

But, never fear, our favorite was still

there 😂😂:

IMG_5894.jpeg

We arrive in Aruba at 4pm today and are there until 10pm or so tomorrow. One interesting factoid, mentioned by our cruise director Shawna is that tomorrow is Sunday and a lot of the shops will be closed 😳😳😳.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

IMG_5879.jpeg

IMG_5878.jpeg

IMG_5882.jpeg

IMG_5881.jpeg

IMG_5884.jpeg

All in all a great tour and one I would highly recommend. Group was small, Dora is a wealth of information on her city and its history. She also communicated frequently pre-cruise via email to confirm everything. It was $80USD per person, paid in cash after the tour was over. 

mac_tlc

I saw on Insta that Capt.Kate was there as well.  She, like me, is no fan of caged animals and such, but she explained the eco park, the animals are all free to roam and free to leave.  Seems like a very neat place.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

But never fear, our favorite was still

there 😂😂:

IMG_5894.jpeg

I am so curious about this. Surely that can't be "legal" but why hasn't it been addressed by the crew? If I see anything like this on our cruise my hair will be on fire and I'll be off to guest services for a fire extinguisher. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, RK-NC said:

I am so curious about this. Surely that can't be "legal" but why hasn't it been addressed by the crew? If I see anything like this on our cruise my hair will be on fire and I'll be off to guest services for a fire extinguisher. 

I guess it’s only illegal if you get caught. One other lounger in the Solarium the other day had an “Out of Office” sign on it when unoccupied. I didn’t grab a picture but I’m sure it will be back.

Crew were walking around and cleaning in both areas and walked past them just as I did.

IMHO, it’s systematic of people today. I paid, I get to do as I please. Unless enforced it will only get worse.

Scoff at Carnival, but they just rolled out a plan to address it, where the chair police will put a note on an occupied chair with the time the note was placed and noting the time, 40 minutes later, when the stuff will be moved. Let’s see how it works. Companies are just so concerned with alienating their customers, even when the customers are wrong.

mac_tlc

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

IMG_5879.jpeg

IMG_5878.jpeg

IMG_5882.jpeg

IMG_5881.jpeg

IMG_5884.jpeg

mac_tlc

Brilliant review and photography.  A new itin to consider..esp if we could   book Dora for Cartagena. Thank you for sharing!

On ARUBA, the Cactus Botanical Garden was spectacular.. esp if you can find it  on  a tour or get a pvt driver! Our tour  had an A/c bus( not full.)  Better for me  than open air with all the heat! ( I posted photos in an earlier photo review..)

If you just want a pleasant walk...there is a good sidewalk if you turn right on the main street..lots to see (nature and bldgs) , shade and places to sit.  ( I covered it in one of my last reviews)

ENJOY!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 6:18 PM, eyecantwait said:

Thanks for taking us along! We'll be on Beyond next February with our daughter and son in law for the ABC Islands, Cartagena and partial Panama Canal. Can't wait!

Is this Feb 3rd? If so, we are on that one with some Canadian friends.

18 minutes ago, hcat said:

If you just want a pleasant walk...there is a good sidewalk if you turn right on the main street..lots to see (nature and bldgs) , shade and places to sit.  ( I covered it in one of my last reviews)

ENJOY!

Thank you for your kind words!

This is our plan for Aruba. Today we will hit the shops, tomorrow morning we plan on going to the Dutch Pancake House for breakfast, hoping it bears some resemblance to Pancakes Amsterdam in Amsterdam. 

We will walk around today and find it. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

This post is mainly for @Jim_Iain, who has taught me to appreciate doors !!!

I call it “The Doors of Cartagena” :

IMG_5871.jpeg

IMG_5868.jpeg

IMG_5869.jpeg

IMG_5865.jpeg

IMG_5856.jpeg

IMG_5847.jpeg

IMG_5845.jpeg

IMG_5843.jpeg

IMG_5811.jpeg

IMG_5812.jpeg

IMG_5805.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Thank you for your kind words!

This is our plan for Aruba. Today we will hit the shops, tomorrow morning we plan on going to the Dutch Pancake House for breakfast, hoping it beats some resemblance to Pancakes Amsterdam in Amsterdam. 

We will walk around today and find it. 

mac_tlc

Fun plans.. sounds creative!

I first went on a cruise to ARUBA  way, way back with my parents..Our guide stopped at the  then "New"  to be opened Holiday Inn...Went back years later with my husb & it  brought back.so many memories.  Made many subsequent visits..loved dinner at El Gaucho!  A very Special Island!

Just in case you decide to wander! ( tripadvisor)

images.jpeg-3.jpg

16 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

This post is mainly for @Jim_Iain, who has taught me to appreciate doors !!!

I call it “The Doors of Cartagena” :

IMG_5871.jpeg

IMG_5868.jpeg

IMG_5869.jpeg

IMG_5865.jpeg

IMG_5856.jpeg

IMG_5847.jpeg

IMG_5845.jpeg

IMG_5843.jpeg

IMG_5811.jpeg

IMG_5812.jpeg

IMG_5805.jpeg

Very Nice..giving Jim some competition..  The last door  is exceptional! Do you have info about it! Can't read the words beneath the cross.

Edited by hcat

16 minutes ago, hcat said:

Very Nice..giving Jim some competition..  The last door  is exceptional! Do you have info about it! Can't read the words beneath the cross.

No I don’t have any info about it. The words beneath are in Spanish so even if it was crystal clear I wouldn’t know what it says😂.

It was located at the monestary at La Popa.

Got lucky with the lighting. Almost all of these pictures are happenstance, especially the doors. I don’t seek them out but they pop up! I do try to not get any people in them but sometimes it’s unavoidable.

Here is one more from the old city. Always wanted to go to Havana to see the old cars.

IMG_5870.jpeg

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

I guess it’s only illegal if you get caught. One other lounger in the Solarium the other day had an “Out of Office” sign on it when unoccupied. I didn’t grab a picture but I’m sure it will be back.

Crew were walking around and cleaning in both areas and walked past them just as I did.

IMHO, it’s systematic of people today. I paid, I get to do as I please. Unless enforced it will only get worse.

Scoff at Carnival, but they just rolled out a plan to address it, where the chair police will put a note on an occupied chair with the time the note was placed and noting the time, 40 minutes later, when the stuff will be moved. Let’s see how it works. Companies are just so concerned with alienating their customers, even when the customers are wrong.

mac_tlc

Yep, too many people live under the "entitlement" umbrella lately. And for all those Carnival haters I will confirm that they have cracked down more on this (albeit not enough) on my last few cruises with them than they did on my last Celebrity OR NCL cruises. I still remember one cruise where my husband and I settled into chairs at 9am one day, saw stuff piled on a few chairs nearby and when we left early that afternoon no one had shown up yet. Ridiculous....

We are also on board and have been to Aruba on a Sunday.  Very quiet!  We did not go, but were told from others that beaches were very busy that day.  Went to beaches last year as was a weekday.  
We saw the Captain being interviewed by the port people in Cartagena.  

• Like 1