How to get from Port to Marina in Puerto Vallarta

redbanshee

12 minutes ago, redbanshee said:

Hi all we are in PV in April and thought it might be fun to have dinner in the marina. Anyone know cab fares for that outing? I see it is not walkable from google maps. 
Thanks!

Marina Vallarta?  Probably around $28.  Taxis are not metered and the charges are based on zone.  There is a bus too which will get you there in 12 minutes.  

Getting out of the new port facility in Puerto Vallarta is now an intentionally complicated maze -a labyrinth of treks through confusing walkways, buildings, ........ and shops. Be prepared. 

Keep your eyes looking upwards to hopefully find direction signs to the exit or to the ship - or else abandon all hope, all ye who are forced  enter here. If you are lucky, you might be at the far dock and can sneak out a side fence and avoid this new port facility entirely.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, redbanshee said:

Hi all we are in PV in April and thought it might be fun to have dinner in the marina. Anyone know cab fares for that outing? I see it is not walkable from google maps. 
Thanks!

It is about a mile (depending on which pier you are docked) to inside the Marina (past Plaza Neptuno).  We have never taken a taxi for this route (I actually walk it a few days a week) but the taxi fare (we are talking the normal taxis outside the port) should cost no more than $100 (Pesos).  It is quite walkable if you can handle a good mile.  You leave the port, turn left at the sidewalk that runs along the main road (this shows as Rte 200 on Google Maps), and start walking.  You will walk past the Naval/Marine Base, over a small bridge, and then past the Naval Hospital.  Just keep going until you run out of sidewalk and you will come to a small outdoor strip shopping center.  Just past the last store you will turn left into the Marina Area.  There are quite a few restaurants in the Marina  (we never eat out there since we live in town).  If you have a working Smartphone you can simply put one of the restaurants in one of the map programs and follow the route. 

Hank 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

It is about a mile (depending on which pier you are docked) to inside the Marina (past Plaza Neptuno).  We have never taken a taxi for this route (I actually walk it a few days a week) but the taxi fare (we are talking the normal taxis outside the port) should cost no more than $100 (Pesos).  It is quite walkable if you can handle a good mile.  You leave the port, turn left at the sidewalk that runs along the main road (this shows as Rte 200 on Google Maps), and start walking.  You will walk past the Naval/Marine Base, over a small bridge, and then past the Naval Hospital.  Just keep going until you run out of sidewalk and you will come to a small outdoor strip shopping center.  Just past the last store you will turn left into the Marina Area.  There are quite a few restaurants in the Marina  (we never eat out there since we live in town).  If you have a working Smartphone you can simply put one of the restaurants in one of the map programs and follow the route. 

Hank 

Great news and thanks you so much for this! Can totally walk a mile no problem. I had not known the bridge had a sidewalk 🤗

2 hours ago, redbanshee said:

Great news and thanks you so much for this! Can totally walk a mile no problem. I had not known the bridge had a sidewalk 🤗

Did that walk, this morning, and thought about your post :).  If you are docked at Pier 1, it will be the longest walk (of the 3 piers).  Once you cross the bridge you still have a ways to go.  The main street into Marina Vallarta is marked by a traffic light and a large whale-fountain in the middle of the street.  You will pass another street (before that main street) which I do not think gets you into the heart of the marina, so my advice is not to be tempted and think you might find a short-cut.  The mile walk will get you to the port entrance, but depending where you go inside that area you can easily tack on another 1/2 mile.  

One interesting development in that large marina area is that the tall El Faro Lighthouse (110 feet high) apparently has a new restaurant at the top (I assume one would need reservations).  We do not know anyone who has actually dined in that place, but the view must be spectacular.  I think it is called El Faro /36 Restaurant.  Friends have told us they plan to give it a try (in the future).

Hank

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Did that walk, this morning, and thought about your post :).  If you are docked at Pier 1, it will be the longest walk (of the 3 piers).  Once you cross the bridge you still have a ways to go.  The main street into Marina Vallarta is marked by a traffic light and a large whale-fountain in the middle of the street.  You will pass another street (before that main street) which I do not think gets you into the heart of the marina, so my advice is not to be tempted and think you might find a short-cut.  The mile walk will get you to the port entrance, but depending where you go inside that area you can easily tack on another 1/2 mile.  

One interesting development in that large marina area is that the tall El Faro Lighthouse (110 feet high) apparently has a new restaurant at the top (I assume one would need reservations).  We do not know anyone who has actually dined in that place, but the view must be spectacular.  I think it is called El Faro /36 Restaurant.  Friends have told us they plan to give it a try (in the future).

Hank

Thanks so much ….I remember that lighthouse from when I stayed in the marina in the 90’s (lol). We are also thinking about a restaurant downtown called Pipi’s (heard the bus is .50cents USD per person into Centro from just outside the cruise port) still some to,e to plan but you’ve been super helpful. Might be nice to see the Malecon ….it’s been a while 😊

4 hours ago, redbanshee said:

Thanks so much ….I remember that lighthouse from when I stayed in the marina in the 90’s (lol). We are also thinking about a restaurant downtown called Pipi’s (heard the bus is .50cents USD per person into Centro from just outside the cruise port) still some to,e to plan but you’ve been super helpful. Might be nice to see the Malecon ….it’s been a while 😊

The bus is $10 pesos and they now have electronic boxes where you put the money in a slot.  Drivers do not make change and generally do not accept dollars.  No comment on PiPis other than it’s more popular with short term visitors then the ex pat community.

Hank

23 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The bus is $10 pesos and they now have electronic boxes where you put the money in a slot.  Drivers do not make change and generally do not accept dollars.  No comment on PiPis other than it’s more popular with short term visitors then the ex pat community.

Hank

Do you have any gem you would recommend for Mexican? we have three stops in Mexico so perhaps I will invest in some pesos for the trip 🤗

• Like 1

Anyone I know who goes to Pipi's enjoys it.   It is very touristy but fun and different.   If you go into the romantic zone a good place for lunch or dinner would be Adobe's.   Not as much fun as Pipi's but good food and value.

You will get much better deal paying with pesos so do get pesos to pay for items you plan to purchase.

On 2/19/2024 at 9:53 PM, redbanshee said:

Do you have any gem you would recommend for Mexican? we have three stops in Mexico so perhaps I will invest in some pesos for the trip 🤗

Food is so darn subjective and here we have cuisine in all price ranges.  Many of my favorite places (we eat out over 60 times during the winter months) are not open for lunch.  For relatively inexpensive basic Mexican food, the Sea Monkey (owned by the same person who owned the well known Cheeky Monkey) is popular with cruisers and they have tables right on the sand (Los Muertos Beach).  If you keep walking south along the beach you will find lots of restaurants (all safe) at many price points.  Further down the beach Cuates y Cuetes (well known for its live webcam) also has inexpensive basic Mexican.  For high end (and pricier) food there is La Palapa.  You can always look at menus before you sit.  Just beware that quite a few places only accept cash (Pesos or US Dollars) so, if you want to use a credit card make sure it is OK before you start ordering.

Hank

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Food is so darn subjective and here we have cuisine in all price ranges.  Many of my favorite places (we eat out over 60 times during the winter months) are not open for lunch.  For relatively inexpensive basic Mexican food, the Sea Monkey (owned by the same person who owned the well known Cheeky Monkey) is popular with cruisers and they have tables right on the sand (Los Muertos Beach).  If you keep walking south along the beach you will find lots of restaurants (all safe) at many price points.  Further down the beach Cuates y Cuetes (well known for its live webcam) also has inexpensive basic Mexican.  For high end (and pricier) food there is La Palapa.  You can always look at menus before you sit.  Just beware that quite a few places only accept cash (Pesos or US Dollars) so, if you want to use a credit card make sure it is OK before you start ordering.

Hank

Thanks so much Hank! Your info is invaluable…..live PV and excited to be back after so many years…if only for the day 🤗 cheers!

Hank, is the C y C webcam operational?  I think the feed went down many months ago and has not returned.  My PV Mirror link also no longer works (but it finally does re-direct to a new publication).  

14 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Hank, is the C y C webcam operational?  I think the feed went down many months ago and has not returned.  My PV Mirror link also no longer works (but it finally does re-direct to a new publication).  

NO Henk, but I can answer your questions. The C&C webcam indeed is no more unfortunately.

The same for the PV Mirror, I have to inform that the owner Mrs. Anna Reisman died a few months ago. There is indeed online daily short notice on facebook by one of the persons that wrote in the mirror. 

Ine, I am so sorry to hear of Ms. Reisman's passing.  I used to read the Mirror on-line every week and I missed it when they stopped publication.  May Ms. Reisman rest in peace!

I was not a huge fan of the CyC restaurant, but I would patronize them to support the webcam.  It was relaxing to turn it on for 5 or ten minutes at my desk.  I still have it bookmarked, in the hope that it will come back!  Hak's post above made me try it once again!

We had no idea that the C y C webcam was down.  The camera is still there (after a few beers I get paranoid and think it is looking at me).  The next time we stop at C y C (we go there quite often for their evening live music) I will ask if it is going to be fixed.

Hank

PS Hank. I now notice I wrote NO Hank, but hopefully you understand I intended to write Not Hank, to tell the poster that I answered and not you. 

3 hours ago, Ine said:

PS Hank. I now notice I wrote NO Hank, but hopefully you understand I intended to write Not Hank, to tell the poster that I answered and not you. 

LOL Ine.  Am sure there are more

then a few who would agree with “no Hank”. 😀

• Like 1