Do Princess ships have Cholula Sauce?

mlbcruiser

35 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Hi, bland Canadian here.  I’ve never heard of most of these sauces!  We’ve never even bought hot sauce.  What do you put it on?  We don’t eat meat, just fish and seafood.  Is it really hot so that you can’t taste the food?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don’t think this is something a lot of Canadians have in their pantry. lol

Canada... Although we have friends in Canada and have traveled by land through Alberta, BC, and Yukon it was hard sometimes as I find that Mexican food seems to be pretty much non-existent. Growing up in California Mexican food is in my blood.

I grow Fresno peppers. Can be pretty hot. I like to slice them into rings and the saute the rings a bit. Then I add minced garlic and continue to saute. I scramble 2 eggs with some onion powder and pour them over the peppers and garlic and then sprinkle celery salt on top. Wonderful breakfast. I put hot sauce on lots (and lots!) of things. I chop hot chilies into my tuna sandwich. I had some left over specialty potatoes for breakfast this morning and put hot sauce on them. I put hot sauce in my stir fry. I get hot chili oil when I get take out Chinese food and put it on my Chow Mein. I have a friend who grows lots of hot peppers - jalapenos, habeneros, etc. and roasts them and grinds them into a paste that he cans. Most seem to think of it as "death paste" but I smear it on my tortillas whenever I make tacos or burritos. I put dabs of it in my taco salad.  I think you get the idea...

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Hi, bland Canadian here.  I’ve never heard of most of these sauces!  We’ve never even bought hot sauce.  What do you put it on?  We don’t eat meat, just fish and seafood.  Is it really hot so that you can’t taste the food?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don’t think this is something a lot of Canadians have in their pantry. lol

@Lady Arwen I'm a pescatarian like you. I hate bland food and need spice and flavor, so (other than Tabasco) I put good hot sauce on my seafood, yes, and vegetables and eggs.  I mix it into ketchup or mayo to provide a perfect dipping sauce for fries. 

You don't have to put a ton of hot sauce on, especially if the chef already has a pronounced flavor profile.  I do it to add zing.

If all else fails (regarding hot sauce availability), then I ask onboard the ship for red pepper flakes...which they usually have if they scramble around for them.

image.png.37c78bed62d1daa295bfce648aecdd90.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JGmf said:

I'm a pescatarian like you. I hate bland food and need spice and flavor, so (other than Tabasco) I put good hot sauce on my seafood, yes, and vegetables and eggs.

@Lady Arwen  We are also pescatarians (for 40 yrs now) and I like Cholula because it is not very hot, but adds flavor to bland food.  My DW is not a fan of any hot sauce and does not even add pepper to her food.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thanks everyone! I don’t believe I’ve ever tried Cholula and now I have to stop at the store to pick some up. Should I try a small bottle or just head on over to Costco? 

The price of the large two-pack at Costco is almost the same as one regular sized bottle at the market.  🤷‍♂️

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2024 at 9:47 AM, ldubs said:

Fortunately, they always have ample supplies of American Soy Sauce.  Called ketchup by some.   😀

I'm with you on ketchup, but at home I get siracha ketchup. Best of both worlds.

• Like 1

I use different hot sauces on tons of items ranging from any Mexican dish, soups like chowders, fish, seafood and meats. We have at least 12 different ones at the house

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, memoak said:

I use different hot sauces on tons of items ranging from any Mexican dish, soups like chowders, fish, seafood and meats. We have at least 12 different ones at the house

I think the difference is that in the US you are strongly influenced by Mexican cuisine and we tend to be more European.   We enjoy Bearnaise sauce on fish and garlic with seafood.  Pasta sauce is more herbaceous than hot or spicy.  Funny, though, Indian food is becoming popular and I’ve heard it’s very hot.  I don’t think I’d like it.  I make Chinese food, but it’s not hot.  

I must venture out and try some hot sauce.  I’m willing to try it!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

I'm with you on ketchup, but at home I get siracha ketchup. Best of both worlds.

Sounds good!  We use quite a bit of sriracha on various things.  Gochujang too.  I don't think I've ever had Cholula.  Sounds like I've been missing something.  

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 5:20 PM, memoak said:

Bring it yourself. When ask for hot sauce I have always been given Tabasco 

To this hot head, Tabasco sauce is something I would give to a baby.  The hotter, the better, with the caveat that the sauce must also have a decent taste.

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2024 at 9:34 AM, memoak said:

We use local hot sauces such as Aardvark and Newks. We can’t find them outside the PNW but don’t need them for most dishes so don’t feel a need to bring them. 

I saw Aardvark in a Walmart Neighborhood store in the SF bay area.

Is the price difference worth it?  I usually get El Yucatreco Chile Habanero Xxxxtra Hot Sauce and Marie Sharp's Habanero.  I also enjoy Mrs Renfros's Ghost Pepper Salsa.