Upgrade!

Pickels

Aw!  Why do they do that?  The cruise in question is SOLD OUT but, we still get an email that says we can upgrade to a Sky Suite, an Owner's Suite, a Penthouse Suite, a Premium Suite or a Vista Suite. All these suites don't show up when you check the cruise because the cruise is SOLD OUT.  Do they simply hold these cabins with the possibility that an existing cruiser will upgrade?  How does one know where the location of these cabins are, (there are people who are concerned with location).   

19 minutes ago, Pickels said:

Aw!  Why do they do that?  The cruise in question is SOLD OUT but, we still get an email that says we can upgrade to a Sky Suite, an Owner's Suite, a Penthouse Suite, a Premium Suite or a Vista Suite. All these suites don't show up when you check the cruise because the cruise is SOLD OUT.  Do they simply hold these cabins with the possibility that an existing cruiser will upgrade?  How does one know where the location of these cabins are, (there are people who are concerned with location).   

I’m not sure but I did get an upgrade to an aft suite on our recent sold out Discovery cruise. My guess is that someone backed out. Who knows. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Pickels said:

Because of cancellations.  That can happen anytime before sailing.  

Look at the deck plans and bid on a suite that you would be happy with the location, if that’s really important to you.  It will at least

give you an idea if it could be Aft/Fwd or mid ship, depending on the ship and category.

You do not know the exact

location until you win the bid.  That can be right up until about 2 days before sailing or so.

• Like 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
36 minutes ago, Pickels said:

It makes no sense for them to hold back cabins for upgrades. It might mean that they end up not selling those cabins. Better to just make them available for sale and that might then mean no upgrades.

I think it just might be cancellations have opened up more availability so upgrades become available as it is easier to resell the cheaper cabins.

Also, it is possible that some cabins are pre-allocated to large TAs and when the TA releases their unsold inventory they then become available for upgrades. 

I don't know if either of these options are true in your case but they are a possible explanation.

16 minutes ago, Pickels said:

So, only when you make a bid do you see the actual location of the cabin?

No.  You do not see the cabin until you win the bid.  So,

it is a gamble.  Don’t do it, if you are very particular about your location.  That’s why I suggested you check the deck plans for the different suites and see where you could end up.  That could be a wide variety of cabin locations.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Pickels said:

Aw!  Why do they do that?  The cruise in question is SOLD OUT but, we still get an email that says we can upgrade to a Sky Suite, an Owner's Suite, a Penthouse Suite, a Premium Suite or a Vista Suite. All these suites don't show up when you check the cruise because the cruise is SOLD OUT.    

5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Because of cancellations.  That can happen anytime before sailing.  

Just to share an experience almost exactly a year ago..

3 days before we were to fly to Australia for our cruise in a Vista suite, my wife hurt her back and was literally crippled and in so much pain. A day later (2 days before the cruise) I had to cancel our cruise.

I guarantee you, someone who made a bid on a suite was very happy to win the bid and get upgraded probably at embarkation.

So, you never really know when or why a cabin opens up on a sold out cruise.

Cheers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

3 days before we were to fly to Australia for our cruise in a Vista suite, my wife hurt her back and was literally crippled and in so much pain. A day later (2 days before the cruise) I had to cancel our cruise.

I guarantee you, someone who made a bid on a suite was very happy to win the bid and get upgraded probably at embarkation.

Cheers

Exactly.  You never know.

Wow!  I hope she’s all mended now and you’re back to cruising.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZjohn said:

Cheers

For us location is important and not knowing where may be an issue. We are also all set, got green line status, check-in ok, got our luggage tags, medallions to be shipped, and now to change the reservation just may screw up the works!

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

Exactly.  You never know.

Wow!  I hope she’s all mended now and you’re back to cruising.

Thank you, she is back to normal now but boy, it was a long 6 months to get that gal out of pain 🙂 

We are hoping to get back on the horse and take a cruise in a couple months (sadly not down under though).

Cheers

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Cheers

Yikes, hope she’s better, I know all about back pain, you’ll be on a future cruise!  For sure!

20 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Thank you, she is back to normal now but boy, it was a long 6 months to get that gal out of pain 🙂 

We are hoping to get back on the horse and take a cruise in a couple months (sadly not down under though).

Cheers

Great to hear!

• Thanks 1

Another possibility is that the cruise is actually sold out - they have sold as many cabins as they have. But they haven't sold all of the suites and they've sold some guarantees in other classes. In this case, Princess will have to upgrade someone to a suite in order to give everyone a cabin. If no one bids, they will have to give a complementary upgrade. They would definitely prefer getting some more money with a bid.

On 2/21/2024 at 5:15 AM, Pickels said:

I think some of those suites can only booked over the phone so they could be available on a cruise that shows as "sold out" online.

• Haha 1

There is only upside for Princess.  Even if sold out, they are protected in the event there is a cancellation.  If a suite cancels, that creates an upward domino effect for four or five other cabins at $100 or so a pop and worst case they end up with a vacant indside cabin on the lower decks.

• Like 1

We "won" an upgrade to an aft corner suite.  The suite was beautiful and we love aft views.  The problem is that the balcony was not deep at all and I couldn't sit next to my wife.  The loungers would only fit sideways so we were either head to head or toe to toe.  Also, there was no overhang so the sun could be brutal. For our upcoming cruise we booked another aft corner but this one has a huge deep balcony with an overhang so we are protected from the sun.  It can be a real crap shoot.

From conversations with crew that should know, there is a passenger capacity that determines if a cruise is sold out, not that all cabins are filled.  They can only allow X amount of people so when they sell cabins to 3 or 4 in a cabin that adds people & means some cabins can't be sold.  They also have some vacant cabins for emergency moves (maybe you have a major issue that they can't fix they need to move you somewhere).  We have been moved on embarkation day from a mini suite to a full suite with no notice (and no charge) very last minute as our name was on the mini suite door & on information in the room!  We found out when we went to the muster station so there are available rooms even if it says sold out.  BUT if you are picky on location be aware they can assign you anywhere in the category you bid on.  Good luck with whatever you decide - to bid or not, enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happy42cruise said:

From conversations with crew that should know, there is a passenger capacity that determines if a cruise is sold out, not that all cabins are filled.  They can only allow X amount of people so when they sell cabins to 3 or 4 in a cabin that adds people & means some cabins can't be sold.  They also have some vacant cabins for emergency moves (maybe you have a major issue that they can't fix they need to move you somewhere).  We have been moved on embarkation day from a mini suite to a full suite with no notice (and no charge) very last minute as our name was on the mini suite door & on information in the room!  We found out when we went to the muster station so there are available rooms even if it says sold out.  BUT if you are picky on location be aware they can assign you anywhere in the category you bid on.  Good luck with whatever you decide - to bid or not, enjoy your cruise! 

Because of all the issues we had with the Princess app and the website I'm not going to change anything.  We have the infamous Green Lane for both of us, everything is "complete", all good to go, got our luggage tags, etc.  If I start to make changes (win the bid, for example), it just may screw everything up.