Tenerife port

Hello All,

Doing my first fly cruise in a few weeks. The two questions I wanted to ask is:

1) I normally take some wine and whisky onboard with me. When I come off the plane if I cannot find the duty free in the airport, when I get to the Tenerife Port is there any shops within walking distance that I can pick up some things such as wine and whisky etc that anyone is aware of?

2) When the coach drops us off from the airport to the ship. I am guessing I don’t have to go on the ship right away, there is no problem for example going to look for a shop for 30 mins and then getting on board? I think we will be landing about 11:30am.

17 hours ago, Sheep Flavour said:

when I get to the Tenerife Port is there any shops within walking distance that I can pick up some things such as wine and whisky etc that anyone is aware of?

I would check in first rather than lug my hand luggage around with me .

Once you are checked in go outside on one of the upper decks looking over to the residential apartments and shops. 

Looking to your left you will see a pedestrian flyover from the port road and see a green 

flashing  cross that belongs to a chemist .

Once off board head for the chemist and you will see signs for a Spar shop , I think its 

the 3rd right turn after the chemist . Very easy to get to from the cruise port 5-10 mins .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would buy your duty free either in the UK airport, on the plane, or possibly in Tenerife airport after landing (I know there is an outlet on arrival in Malta airport, but not sure about Tenerife airport).  The walk from the ship to the shops in Santa Cruz de Tenerife can be a very long one, depending on exactly where the ship docks.  No shops in the port in Tenerife.

You can only take the alcohol on the ship when boarding, so cannot drop hand luggage, then go off to find a shop.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, solentsam said:

If i remember correctly there is a duty free in the port building to you right after you go through security.

If that is the case it is very new.  There did not used to be shops at the port, though may just have changed in the last two years or so.  Is there a new cruise terminal building in Tenerife, I know some shops are now docking by the ferry terminal, though most still on the other side of the harbour?  We know the.port very well and have disembarked Azura there since COVID, but not embarked her there, only other ships in the past when a glass structure was used further round the harbour.

Edited by tring

4 minutes ago, tring said:

If that is the case it is very new.  There did not used to be shops at the port, though may just have changed in the last two years or so.  Is there a new cruise terminal building in Tenerife?

Yes they were fitting some of the shops out a few weeks ago and putting to let signs up .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kalos said:

Yes they were fitting some of the shops out a few weeks ago and putting to let signs up .

Ok thanks, that indeed makes a difference, does that mean Azura always docks over by the ferry terminal, near Plaza de Espana?  If so that saves a very big walk and great if there overnight and intend to stagger back to the ship after a meal or a couple of drinks.  We love Santa Cruz, especially at night.  A real local vibe and also spent evenings up in La Laguna, which is s a gem, especially when the Christmas lights are on.  Regular trams back down, so an easy evening base from the port.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tring said:

Ok thanks, that indeed makes a difference, does that mean Azura always docks over by the ferry terminal, near Plaza de Espana?  If so that saves a very big walk.

Not sure if always but on our two weeks we were smack bang outside the Terminal de Cruceros de Tenerife  . The new buildings were still fitted out with office and shops but was very handy for the shops /bars over the road .

• Like 1

We docked on the port side across from us was an other ship an AIDA one I remember over by the ferries. so may be not always. yes the terminal is new as Kalos says there shop spaces but none yet filled. the duty free is in the other security entrance building for the port side ship.

Edited by solentsam
  • Like 2

Oh just remembered that was also about 20 P&O check in desks in that security building. so if you do a fly cruise you must go in there. We were on an ordinary cruise out of Southampton so it was not manned but maybe it is when fly cruise, it all looked new.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, solentsam said:

If i remember correctly there is a duty free in the port building to you right after you go through security. Was only there last month.

Yes, we were there end of Jan and there is a souvenir shop selling perfume and alcohol opposite the check in desks

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Yes there is a duty free after check in but I don’t think it’s the cheapest - if you want spirits you might be better buying on the plane. You get the 47 per cent stuff then too! 

PS - do you want me to check a specific price for you tomorrow?. I am on Azura just now.

4 hours ago, kalos said:

I would check in first rather than lug my hand luggage around with me .

Once you are checked in go outside on one of the upper decks looking over to the residential apartments and shops. 

Looking to your left you will see a pedestrian flyover from the port road and see a green 

flashing  cross that belongs to a chemist .

Once off board head for the chemist and you will see signs for a Spar shop , I think its 

the 3rd right turn after the chemist . Very easy to get to from the cruise port 5-10 mins .

Thanks 😃👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Yes there is a duty free after check in but I don’t think it’s the cheapest - if you want spirits you might be better buying on the plane. You get the 47 per cent stuff then too! 

Very sorry if I am being dull, I haven’t flown since 2016ish, you can buy spirits on the plane and pick it up once you get off these days? 

On 2/22/2024 at 11:52 AM, tring said:

does that mean Azura always docks over by the ferry terminal, near Plaza de Espana?

It did on the three times it docked when I was on it in December for a couple of weeks, and then when I returned in the new year to stay in Santa Cruz for a month it docked there every time.

I only once saw a P&O ship docked on the other side, and that was when Azura was already in the ferry terminal slot.

As for taking some duty free onboard, it is far far easier and normally cheaper just to buy it as you leave the UK.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 9265359 said:

It did on the three times it docked when I was on it in December for a couple of weeks, and then when I returned in the new year to stay in Santa Cruz for a month it docked there every time.

I only once saw a P&O ship docked on the other side, and that was when Azura was already in the ferry terminal slot.

As for taking some duty free onboard, it is far far easier and normally cheaper just to buy it as you leave the UK.

Azura uses Tenerife as a turnround port which presumably is why she always berths on the town side of the port. On the 2 occasions we have visited on Iona, she also has berthed there, which I assume is because of her size.

5 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Hi Sheep Flavour - whisky prices in cruise terminal shop today.   You’ll definitely get a better price elsewhere - usually the duty free at the airport is pretty good.IMG_0105.thumb.jpeg.ccf9818eb2fef3aaa13b8de5d023b5ef.jpeg

IMG_0104.jpeg

Thank you very much 😃