LIVE from Discovery: Feb 24 - Mar 2

New2cruise2022

1 hour ago, 2and2 said:

Well branch out and try the Remy Martin XO congac on the rocks for your after dinner drink at the main dinning room. You don't get to have that every day. I felt like a big shot drinking it, until I remembered I have to go back to my job at the factory after the cruise.

GAH!!! Cognac is not meant to be served over ice. The shape of the snifter is designed so your hand warms the cognac. I had one bartender serve me cognac on ice. I left it on the bar and told him to drink it himself. Then I went to a different bar. When a bartender on our last trip served my Scotch on the rocks I made him take it back and pour a new drink neat. I told him, "Only barbarians put ice in their whisky."

• Like 3

Having a whale of a time. Pulling into Cabo, there were whales to see. No major breaches, but regular blowhole sprays and the occasional tail. Went back up to the stateroom and out onto the balcony to get ready to go down to tender. The sound of the blowhole reaches my ear and I look to see a mother and calf right off the bow. Got a few pics, but it was a serendipitous and amazing thing to see. 

I really love this stateroom.

IMG_0857.jpeg

IMG_0856.jpeg

IMG_0858.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Thrak said:

GAH!!! Cognac is not meant to be served over ice. The shape of the snifter is designed so your hand warms the cognac. I had one bartender serve me cognac on ice. I left it on the bar and told him to drink it himself. Then I went to a different bar. When a bartender on our last trip served my Scotch on the rocks I made him take it back and pour a new drink neat. I told him, "Only barbarians put ice in their whisky."

Well I did grow up on Kesslers (smooth as silk)

I told you I was a factory worker/ barbarian .

I will just have to work another year of fifty- six hours work weeks and come back for another cruise so I can try a $20.00 shot of congac without ice this time .  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2and2 said:

Well I did grow up on Kesslers (smooth as silk)

I told you I was a factory worker/ barbarian .

I will just have to work another year of fifty- six hours work weeks and come back for another cruise so I can try a $20.00 shot of congac without ice this time .  

Drinks are best served the way you enjoy them most.  I like my bourbon on ice, I tolerate my wine cold, and I like my coffee as light as sand.  Get your value whenever you have a chance to go on vacation.

• Like 9

On 2/24/2024 at 3:58 PM, New2cruise2022 said:

OceanNow — First Impressions:

We will provide a full review at the end of the week. But it’s 4 PM. We just had sail away and we are still by the shipping yards.

I have ordered drinks 3 times from OceanNow. Each time with 2 or more drinks. All of them were delivered in less than 20 minutes. All of the orders perfect. 2 to the stateroom and 1 out on the Lido deck. 

So far this is a huge success and win for Princess. 

I can walk up to a bar on lido and have a drink in my hand in less than 5 minutes. No way would I wait 20 minutes 

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

I can walk up to a bar on lido and have a drink in my hand in less than 5 minutes. No way would I wait 20 minutes 

After returning to your deck chair, with a drink retrieved in five minutes, it's nice to have it refreshed in 20 minutes without having to stand up.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

Spent 63 days on Grand Princess last year. I could walk up to any Lido deck bar and they knew I wanted a shot of Bulleit straight up. No waiting. No hassle. Evenings tended to be single malt scotch - double, straight up. The inside bars knew that routine. We never once used Ocean Now to order drinks. In Crooner's we did wait for Mario to come around unless we were getting a drink to take to the theater. They knew my wife usually ordered Sailing Through Orchards. I don't think they make it in any other bars but she loves it.

7 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Spent 63 days on Grand Princess last year. I could walk up to any Lido deck bar and they knew I wanted a shot of Bulleit straight up. No waiting. No hassle. Evenings tended to be single malt scotch - double, straight up. The inside bars knew that routine. We never once used Ocean Now to order drinks. In Crooner's we did wait for Mario to come around unless we were getting a drink to take to the theater. They knew my wife usually ordered Sailing Through Orchards. I don't think they make it in any other bars but she loves it.

You are just like us. I can count on one hand minus a few fingers how many times I have used the service. Plus the fact that in the cruise I cannot specify how I want my drink made. Woodford Manhattan light vermouth stirred no shaken. By day 3 the bartenders know what we drink and we don’t even have to say anything especially for our pre dinner drinks

Edited by memoak

On 2/24/2024 at 6:45 PM, Hello, Newman said:

Your subtle, and not so subtle Seinfeld references are not lost on me. 

I would drape myself in velvet, if it were socially acceptable.

@Hello, NewmanI don't know about social acceptability, but they didn't turn me away on formal night.

Velvety.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, drwbrt said:

Drinks are best served the way you enjoy them most.  I like my bourbon on ice, I tolerate my wine cold, and I like my coffee as light as sand.  Get your value whenever you have a chance to go on vacation.

AMEN!!!!   being from TN,  we know all about good tea, and drinks over ice!!!!

We Southerners know what is good!!!!

• Like 2

I am not an expert on these after dinner spirits..  But I think I will start a list, and be ready to pay a bit of difference while onboard.

Hoping with you guys, I can add to the list!!!  Starting with the two mentioned just earlier....

Remy Martin XO cognac

Peach tree Smash

@2and2 and @Wishing on a star; I love that you're sharing and building your lists with me.  I had the Remy Martin XO last night while we sat and chatted in Take Five.  It really is nice.  We had just finished a great meal at Sabatini's that ended with a Limoncello.  Similar to the Limoncello, I felt the Remy Martin was such a nice flavor. Both really nice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Well,  I have read several reports of, even standing at the bar, there is a line, and it can take 10-15 minutes to get that drink.   Seems to be a shortage, or another huge 'miss' by Princess, on keeping adequate bartending staff....

I've not found an inadequate number of bartenders on board.  I have found bars busy enough that I would move onto the next one, but no general shortage.

• Like 4

Menus continue to be uploaded, find them here.  We still need to get more on there. Let us know what menus you want captured beyond what we have and have coming.

Currently Uploaded

Embarkation Lunch (MDR)

Discovery Bar Menu

Sailaway Dinner (MDR)

Crown Grill

Day Two Lunch (MDR)

Gigi's Pizza

Day 3 Breakfast (MDR)

Formal Night Dinner (MDR)

Salty Dog Gastropub

Bellini Bar Menu

Coming Soon

All MDR Breakfast

All MDR Dinner

Sabatini's (Dinner, Drinks, and Dessert)

The Catch

Ocean Terrace

Take Five Bar

Pool Bar (these menus are typically heavily worn, haven;t found a good one yet)

Juice Bar (Pastry Shop in Buffet)

Also still looking for additional bar menus and experience dining menus

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Well,  I have read several reports of, even standing at the bar, there is a line, and it can take 10-15 minutes to get that drink.   Seems to be a shortage, or another huge 'miss' by Princess, on keeping adequate bartending staff....

Not true. Reports are exaggerated. No shortage of bartenders.

We were on Discovery Princess last week. Not sure who these people are, never waited more than 5 minutes for a drink.  It was a sold out cruise.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cheetosrevil said:

My hat's off to those of you whose drink orders are remembered by bartenders. I do not find that the case so maybe I don't order the "right drinks" or order from the right bars.

We tend to frequent the same bars at the same times on 14 plus day cruises. They quickly know how we like things. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 2:30 PM, drwbrt said:

We are premiered.  Plus was a lock, we think there will be enough value in the specialty and the casual dining to justify the add-on.  I'm interested to see what drink options I would have missed out on—top shelf old fashioned sounds great.

The amaretto manhattan is fabulous!!!