Maleth confirms end of P&O partnership

minsterman

15 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The others are currently stored expected into service October.  Yesterday one was on ground Manchester, one in the air Valencia, one not on radar rest in storage.

2 of the 7 in their fleet are freight/cargo  planes it appears

So 5 capable of taking passengers of which it seems 3 have  business class options (unless they are revamping these down?) Or the linked review is incorrect

I have seen images internal of at least one where they are fully loaded with in flight entertainment

I have also seen images internal of at  least one where can't see any in flight entertainment

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

I have seen those comments attached to a GB post, many saying bet he would be expected to fly with a cheapskate airline.

P&O keeping pushing it will be an equivalent experience, but with no IFE, premium economy or extra legroom many saying P&O have an odd definition of equivalent. 

Another question that needs asking is that did TUI take on the contract knowing they couldn’t fulfil the  provision of long haul flights from their own fleet? 

Did TUI have a contact for these flights,?or simply say to P&O, sorry we have nothing to offer you, so no contract. P&O describe the new lot as " our new partner ". If I want to hire a car and Avis don't have any, it's not their job to find me an alternative.

Personally Im only interested in getting there and back safely 

I was delighted to fly on dreamliner last year from Birmingham and back

Was also pleasantly surprised with the food and complimentary drinks that were included

But had no idea that was what I was getting when I booked. So it was a bonus

Have no idea what I've booked this year from Manchester. 

When I book flights for other holidays all I'm interested in is the airport and flight times 

Never gone as deep to look at the plane I'm likely to be flying in

I'm more interested to see whether we will have to wait an hour sat on a bus at the  airport waiting to leave when we land in Barbados like we faced last time

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I wouldn't worry about the air incidents

All the airlines have them

TUI officially have a recent "crash" in their incidents

When in March 2022 the tail of one of their planes hit the ground on takeoff from Manchester

Nobody was hurt 

This was put down to an "inexperienced co-pilot"

Imagine if you just read about that on Maleth Aero? How you would feel?

(I love dreamliners myself. Doesn't look  like we will get those this year to Caribbean then? Will look at it as a bonus if we do. We are flying from Manchester in February)

We've got new laptops each with good batteries. Will no doubt do our vat return on board again to pass a few hours. 

And make sure we have plenty of entertainment loaded on them and our phones in case theres nothing on board

Forewarned is forearmed

Thanks to the OP for highlighting this

I worry about air accidents, even though all airlines have them.
I would rather fly a company that doesn't have too many accidents.
But I agree that it is necessary to take more entertainment on phone or laptop. It will help reduce stress and any negative expectations. Some flights last excessively long. Sometimes I even find time to sleep twice 😁

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

If you read into them the planes are multi purpose - they can be adapted to something called "Preight".  Basically the planes can have either set up. 

I was very alarmed by the illegal caged monkeys story because of this.  I assume they are no longer carrying livestock (!) and are now fully passenger focused.

Incidentally there was a story of a mystery flight of one of their planes landing in Hull during the pandemic and the word was the British Government used them for a repatriation flight.

Do P and O normally offer business class upgrades for flights?

If not can't see them using the planes that offer that?

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thanks to all who have posted.  Out of interest I asked which ship the affected passengers are/were sailing on - my gut says Arvia - could I kindly ask if people would mind confirming this please?  I know ICF is definitely on Arvia for instance but no idea on the other folks plans.

Yes, Arvia  next  February.   We booked earlier in the year whilst on Arvia. I had already intended to cancel as the big ship experience is not my cup of tea really, we thought Iona was dreadful, but the thought of winter sun is enticing. This flight change just seals the deal and confirms my instinct that P & O are now not interested in their traditional customer base, very disappointing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Personally Im only interested in getting their and back safely 

I was delighted to fly on dreamliner last year from Birmingham and back

But had no idea that was what I was getting when I booked. So it was a bonus

Have no idea what I've booked this year from Manchester. 

When I book flights for other holidays all I'm interested in is the airport and flight times 

Never gone as deep to look at the plane I'm likely to be flying from

I'm more interested to see whether we will have to wait an hour sat on a bus at the  airport waiting to leave when we land in Barbados like we faced last time

Ahh, you're new to the P&O fly cruise game! Over the years they've promised high quality aircraft, people wanted bragging rights and paid a premium to fly on the first Dreamliners offered by TUI, ie Birmingham flight £100 excess for flying from there plus another £100 for the Dreamliner!

The Thomas Cook flights were looked down on by many (in fairness some of the flights were pretty rough on 757 aircraft rather than wide bodied) but they moved to A330 just before their demise and these were really comfortable modern aircraft.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

No business class but PE.  If you look back you’ll see last year a few passengers got to sit in the business class seats on a replacement aircraft.

Everyone has their own view but for me a holiday should begin with a pleasant comfortable flight with an airline of choice. I consider that when a fly cruise costs in excess of £5000 then customer service comes first and P & O are hardly inexperienced at predicting cost and profit margins. Both Arvia and Iona, lovely ships as they are, are subject to the pile em high sell ‘em cheap philosophy and are definitely aimed down market. 

• Like 2

Just now, Pasty feet said:

Everyone has their own view but for me a holiday should begin with a pleasant comfortable flight with an airline of choice. I consider that when a fly cruise costs in excess of £5000 then customer service comes first and P & O are hardly inexperienced at predicting cost and profit margins. Both Arvia and Iona, lovely ships as they are, are subject to the pile em high sell ‘em cheap philosophy and are definitely aimed down market. 

Hence any airline will do.  Who cares about the poor customer 

9 hours ago, daiB said:

On another forum. It has been said that TUI cannot provide the aircraft for the flights. Is it not up to TUI to charter a replacement as they are the ones with the contract for these flights. Should it not be TUI everyone is having a go at. Or is it too easy to just blame P&O.

I do wish people would wait for the facts before blasting away at P&O.

We’ll never know the full facts - but you seem willing enough to buy into the idea from an Internet forum that it’s Tul who are the ones at fault? 

the ‘facts’ are that people have bought a P&O holiday, and P&O are the ones who are accountable for what they sell. If P&O send people an email saying that there is a change that is not to people’s liking, who else are they going to be upset with than P&O 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thanks to all who have posted.  Out of interest I asked which ship the affected passengers are/were sailing on - my gut says Arvia - could I kindly ask if people would mind confirming this please?  I know ICF is definitely on Arvia for instance but no idea on the other folks plans.

We are on Arvia Feb  2024 flying from Gatwick 

We have Tui flight details on the CP saying TUI 12 out at 10:35 and TUI 13 Home

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Pasty feet said:

Yes, Arvia  next  February.   We booked earlier in the year whilst on Arvia. I had already intended to cancel as the big ship experience is not my cup of tea really, we thought Iona was dreadful, but the thought of winter sun is enticing. This flight change just seals the deal and confirms my instinct that P & O are now not interested in their traditional customer base, very disappointing. 

Where were you due to fly from?

15 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Ahh, you're new to the P&O fly cruise game! Over the years they've promised high quality aircraft, people wanted bragging rights and paid a premium to fly on the first Dreamliners offered by TUI, ie Birmingham flight £100 excess for flying from there plus another £100 for the Dreamliner!

The Thomas Cook flights were looked down on by many (in fairness some of the flights were pretty rough on 757 aircraft rather than wide bodied) but they moved to A330 just before their demise and these were really comfortable modern aircraft.

I've always assumed the supplements related to the  airport location. Not the planes themselves. And it was just cheaper to fly from London.

Hence why I was keen to get a flight without supplement from Manchester when I saw it last month as its a much easier airport for us to get to

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pasty feet said:

With respect cost does really come into it.  My cruise is £7300, ICF's around £3,000 but we both bought a package at a price we were happy with.  The problem here is that there is no spare flight capacity on the normal airlines so alternatives are being sought.  I've read my T&Cs and contract: absolutely nowhere does it tell me which airline I'll be flying with. Yes, I assumed at booking it would be as normal, but that is just that an assumption.  The way the cruise is sold it states "a flight".  That could be a stopping flight making three stops and aircraft changes and lasting 23 hours - they do exist - and legally it would still be within my agreedcontract.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We’ll never know the full facts - but you seem willing enough to buy into the idea from an Internet forum that it’s Tul who are the ones at fault? 

the ‘facts’ are that people have bought a P&O holiday, and P&O are the ones who are accountable for what they sell. If P&O send people an email saying that there is a change that is not to people’s liking, who else are they going to be upset with than P&O 

Yes indeed, our contract is made with P & O. It would be nice if people were more assertive, this actually basically isn’t good enough and voting with our feet, remembering there are other providers rather than putting up with substandard to me is the way to go. 

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I've always assumed the supplements related to the  airport location. Not the planes themselves. And it was just cheaper to fly from London.

Hence why I was keen to get a flight without supplement from Manchester when I saw it last month as its a much easier airport for us to get to

Yes now most planes are "upgraded" the airport is the guider but back in time an additional supplement for the newer aircraft was the norm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

With respect cost does really come into it.  My cruise is £7300, ICF's around £3,000 but we both bought a package at a price we were happy with.  The problem here is that there is no spare flight capacity on the normal airlines so alternatives are being sought.  I've read my T&Cs and contract: absolutely nowhere does it tell me which airline I'll be flying with. Yes, I assumed at booking it would be as normal, but that is just that an assumption.  The way the cruise is sold it states "a flight".  That could be a stopping flight making three stops and aircraft changes and lasting 23 hours - they do exist - and legally it would still be within my agreedcontract.

Mine would have been that also and of course cost relates to what you receive in exchange.  

1 minute ago, Pasty feet said:

Mine would have been that also and of course cost relates to what you receive in exchange.  

Having flown a lot as I’m sure you have also. It’s not uncommon to pay extra for wider seats or more legroom. This is premium economy and why we booked premium for this trip. P & O are offering to refund the difference and give is extra spending money as compensation. It doesn’t cut it for me. We shall cancel. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pasty feet said:

Having flown a lot as I’m sure you have also. It’s not uncommon to pay extra for wider seats or more legroom. This is premium economy and why we booked premium for this trip. P & O are offering to refund the difference and give is extra spending money as compensation. It doesn’t cut it for me. We shall cancel. 

Obviously your choice and I'm sorry you are losing your holiday as you feel so strongly about this.

I assume the refund offered was the £499pp plus OBC.  May I ask how much the OBC was - by offering it that would assume P&O knew you would be disappointed and wanted to try to ease that.

Mind you that's a whole new question!  Have the folks in economy also been offeredextra OBC?

8 minutes ago, Pasty feet said:

Not when it comes to flights (other than upgrading to premium economy?)

Nor the restaurants you dine  in or the food you eat or the bars you drink in or entertainment you watch?

Only difference in cost is the cabin you choose as far as I know?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Isn't it more likely to be related to the airports people are flying from ?

I've seen it mentioned for Gatwick away from this forum when I've googled

But also Manchester in this forum

Bearing in

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Have the folks in economy also been offered extra OBC?

Rather doubt it as they are getting what they paid for - a seat on an aircraft to take them from A to B, whereas those in PE are not getting what they paid for.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We flew Antigua January this year from Manchester .Virgin Atlantic charter to join Arvia . Upper Class was offered before the flight to those who wanted to pay the extra.  Plane was an Airbus 330.  

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Isn't it more likely to be related to the airports people are flying from ?

I've seen it mentioned for Gatwick away from this forum when I've googled

But also Manchester in this forum

Bearing in

Nowadays yes. Back in 2013 /14 there weren't very many and TUI and P&O charged a premium. I flew out to join Azura from Birmingham December 2013. It was £100 more for the flight operated by the Dreamliners.  Quite a circus onboard- we had to see the Dreamliner Wave, colour changes and the crew dimmed and undimmed the windows like a child using the window button on a car!