Maleth confirms end of P&O partnership

minsterman

At least they are being honest this year and advising people in advance.  Last year some ill begotten Swedish outfit was dropped on passengers apparently by TUI on the day of the flights.  Mayhem at Manchester and Gatwick was reported with people having paid for premium economy but the plane having none, other passengers seats being moved and kids being left in solo seats with strangers.  I believe one flight was nearly 6 hours late.  This was Christmas so very busy with families.  It was reported by some on here that the flights offered little or no food and drink service either.   The Friday Glasgow flight never even made it until the following day.  

P&O reception were kept busy for three days dealing with refund forms and flight delay claims. Really a poor experience for all involved.

• Like 1

Just now, Sooty04 said:

Some people seem to be missing the point.  P&O’s website states they use TUI or BA from London to the Caribbean not Maleth Aero.  Maleth Aero only have seven aircraft and in the last 4 years they have had 3 air incidents.  Would you want to fly with them?

Yes but I would guess somewhere in the T&CS they can be sub contracted which is often the case when companies don’t have enough aircrafts. 3 incidents in the last 4 years is hardly an issue. When you have the likes of BA yes more aircrafts but have way more problems on an aircraft that is barely 10years old for instance. 

one incident I can see for Maleth Aero unreliable airspeed while departing the airline reported they impacted insects which caused the issue. So that’s nothing they can avoid. If the airline was that bad the UK government would have banned them. 

30 minutes ago, Sooty04 said:

Some people seem to be missing the point.  P&O’s website states they use TUI or BA from London to the Caribbean not Maleth Aero.  Maleth Aero only have seven aircraft and in the last 4 years they have had 3 air incidents.  Would you want to fly with them?

n.b.  It has nothing to do with the in flight entertainment etc.

I must confess I have not seen anything on P&O's website stating which airlines they use and like many others have always taken TUI and before that Thomas Cook as the choice.  

Regarding the three incidents only one is on a current aircraft and was caused by insects in a pipe.  The A340 from Bournemouth to NTC had 5 passengers and assumedly was the plane going to storage and the third was a 737.  However this airline doesn't sound from the attached the sort of airline I'd expect to be flown on by P&O on reputation alone.

https://aviationsourcenews.com/news/aelf-flightservices-illegal-monkey-air-shipment-prompts-peta-complaint/

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, carlanthony24 said:

Just be lucky any company offers premium or even business class. I could just imagine the likes of Virgin or BA going all economy at some point to maximise profits

No. That’s not how airline economics work.

Economy long haul to the Caribbean is about £750. A business seat usually takes the space of about 4 economy seats - so £3k but can be sold for somewhere between £4k and £7k - as an example.

An all economy layout doesn’t maximise profits.

Since the pandemic, finding charter airlines is becoming a problem. BA and Virgin are returning to full programs of flights with generally smaller fleets, Tui have now started using their spare capacity for their own routes.

This means cruise companies look towards airlines like Maleth Aero, or they cancel people’s flights. This is not a rush to the cheapest provider.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Just coming to this new ....

We have a cruise booked flying from Manchester in Premium seats. It is on our cruise personaliser with the flight and times. Am taking it that those of you who have had emails have not had any previous information regarding your flight?

We have our details for next Feb, we are on TUI12 and TUI13 from Gatwick. Won't be keen to fly if that is changed to a Maleth Aero flight.

But I guess they won't tell us until after we have paid our Balance in November and they have our money.

3 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

Who remembers the good ole days of long haul flights before TVs on seat backs?  Take a good book and have a snooze is how we used to do it.

Im sorry and I dont want to offend but I agree its a first world problem!

Totally agree.  Never heard such a fuss.  What's wrong with a book or a pack of cards.  As a Flight Attendant of 16 years, only the last 8 had in flight entertainment.  Turn your phone off and guess what your battery will be fine when you get there.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Just coming to this new ....

We have a cruise booked flying from Manchester in Premium seats. It is on our cruise personaliser with the flight and times. Am taking it that those of you who have had emails have not had any previous information regarding your flight?

That's right, I hadn't had any flight info listed/confirmed on the Personaliser.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tesni said:

That's right, I hadn't had any flight info listed/confirmed on the Personaliser.

Off to double check ours now --- was just beginning to feel more upbeat about our cruise so am now crossing all toes and fingers !!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

We have our details for next Feb, we are on TUI12 and TUI13 from Gatwick. Won't be keen to fly if that is changed to a Maleth Aero flight.

But I guess they won't tell us until after we have paid our Balance in November and they have our money.

Someone saying on another site that they had contacted P&O and those who show TUI flights will be TUI flights unless something happens then TUI may need to sub contract.

• Thanks 2

On our personaliser it says the time of the flight and the flight number and carrier. TUI.

Is that a good sign .. please say yes as this cruise has been one headache after another and we have just managed to chill it will be ok !!!!!!! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

On our personaliser it says the time of the flight and the flight number and carrier. TUI.

Is that a good sign .. please say yes as this cruise has been one headache after another and we have just managed to chill it will be ok !!!!!!! 

Yes, we are fine so should you be.  I called flights this afternoon just in case, they confirmed flights if shown are allocated. Obviously subject to TUI turning up - they didn't last year for some flights sending the strange Swedish plane.  

I've noticed a lot of the cruises only had Manchester flights available the further into the season you go but suddenly there is some London availability appeared.

It occurred to me too - although I haven't checked - are the guys with the new airline on Arvia as she will need far more planes than Britannia?

Lots of chat on the P&O facebook according to my OH apparently and quite a number saying they've cancelled or going to.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

Who remembers the good ole days of long haul flights before TVs on seat backs?  Take a good book and have a snooze is how we used to do it.

Im sorry and I dont want to offend but I agree its a first world problem!

Indeed but your seat offered far more room and padding for your rear!

15 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Ours shows the same, so we should be OK

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes, we are fine so should you be.  I called flights this afternoon just in case, they confirmed flights if shown are allocated. Obviously subject to TUI turning up - they didn't last year for some flights sending the strange Swedish plane.  

I've noticed a lot of the cruises only had Manchester flights available the further into the season you go but suddenly there is some London availability appeared.

It occurred to me too - although I haven't checked - are the guys with the new airline on Arvia as she will need far more planes than Britannia?

Lots of chat on the P&O facebook according to my OH apparently and quite a number saying they've cancelled or going to.  

I have a friend who gave me the heads up today. What are they thinking of at the moment?

Those Customer Service advisors are certainly earning their money at the moment and need a pay rise as they are the front line. Oh dear ...

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Indeed but your seat offered far more room and padding for your rear!

Ok is you are not 6ft 3 inches with a glass back and need decent leg room that you have booked. I'm ok as I am short and dumpy so for me no big deal. The entertainment isn't a major issue for us but the leg room is - oh and the reliability of the airline as I am not particularly a great flier ..

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Ok is you are not 6ft 3 inches with a glass back and need decent leg room that you have booked. I'm ok as I am short and dumpy so for me no big deal. The entertainment isn't a major issue for us but the leg room is - oh and the reliability of the airline as I am not particularly a great flier ..

Flights are like anything else I'm afraid - not guaranteed.  Over the years we've experienced loads of flight changes/plane changes it's just the way it is.  My biggest disappointment was booking BA to Washington because it was an A380 and I desperately wanted to fly on one. I got the oldest 777 in their fleet, no premium economy seat as booked either.

Things change, planes are in the wrong place etc - that's what happened to our TUI Barbados flight last year, it was stuck in Mexico.  We flew 3 hours late but it was a 787.

• Like 1

Just now, Megabear2 said:

Flights are like anything else I'm afraid - not guaranteed.  Over the years we've experienced loads of flight changes/plane changes it's just the way it is.  My biggest disappointment was booking BA to Washington because it was an A380 and I desperately wanted to fly on one. I got the oldest 777 in their fleet, no premium economy seat as booked either.

Things change, planes are in the wrong place etc - that's what happened to our TUI Barbados flight last year, it was stuck in Mexico.  We flew 3 hours late but it was a 787.

TBH have ever flown on BA once and would prefer to swim there .... it was horrendous and the staff snooty and inefficient. Give me TUI or Jet2 any day. 

We've been on a plane transfer once to Fuerteventura due to a technical error and then we had an aborted landing.

I'm one who just flies to get somewhere and puts up with it --- the new airline may be ok, but they do not seem to be a proven carrier yet which is what would put me off.

17 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Exactly TUI 787 stuck in Dominican Republic Wamos 747 brought in to replace it no in flight entertainment. Leg room was not the best. People who had booked premium and checked in first thing got lie flat bed seats not sure if those worked since we had also booked PE. Everyone got money back but also still got the PE service that TUI offer. TUI crew were onboard helping but the Spanish crew were brilliant. Even at the end of the flight the Spanish flight engineer asked to get past and stood in between the people that were PE and economy. A380 is still on my list to fly. 

A321XLR is currently being tested on a flight from Dublin to Miami I could imagine if Jet2 decide to order these and start long haul. P&O would then have a different company to fall back on. 

Edited by carlanthony24

7 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have a Jet2 flight back from Malta on the Azura repositioning cruise, so will wait with baited breath to see if they change that too.

Our return flight from Malta to Birmingham after the Azura repositioning cruise is still shown as “carrier tba”. 

1 hour ago, carlanthony24 said:

Would people be happy if P&O could use Air Tanker? All economy with Jet2 seats and no in flight entertainment. Personally would not care as long as I get to the ship.

Everyone is different and may be worried or not bothered for different reasons. 

• Like 1