Norovirus is on the Dawn

julig22

1 minute ago, Mistizoom said:

USA Today is reporting that it's a cholera outbreak.

Yes, just found it Norwegian Dawn quarantined off Mauritius coast with cholera cases (usatoday.com)

Either a case of terrible reporting OR they know more than the people onboard are being told. It supposedly takes a couple of days to get the results back, so I'm thinking USA Today might have jumped the gun.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Exactly what additional information should NCL be providing?

Exactly what would bankrupty NCL accomplish?

I think I answered your first question in my quoted post.

As to the second...well, ya know. Nothing...other than perhaps other lines would see there is accountability for treating passengers like dirt (and, I mean corporate, not crew). 

Where is @zqvol to tell me not to cruise NCL anymore?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sailingships said:

They have Cholera. 

Source? 

33 minutes ago, Mistizoom said:

No they don't. They report a stomach illness. 

They "know" nothing, They "heard" iit was "suspected".  
Quote: 
While on the ground in Mauritius, USA TODAY and a group of journalists scheduled to depart on a press itinerary Sunday, heard the stomach illness was suspected to be cholera.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mistizoom said:

40 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Yes, just found it Norwegian Dawn quarantined off Mauritius coast with cholera cases (usatoday.com)

Either a case of terrible reporting OR they know more than the people onboard are being told. It supposedly takes a couple of days to get the results back, so I'm thinking USA Today might have jumped the gun.

The linked article does NOT “report” that it’s a cholera outbreak.  It says this:  ”While on the ground in Mauritius, USA TODAY and a group of journalists scheduled to depart on a press itinerary Sunday, heard the stomach illness was suspected to be cholera.”

Let’s not get ahead of things! 

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

The linked article does NOT “report” that it’s a cholera outbreak.  It says this:  ”While on the ground in Mauritius, USA TODAY and a group of journalists scheduled to depart on a press itinerary Sunday, heard the stomach illness was suspected to be cholera.”

Note my comment re: jumping the gun with my original post of the article link.

USA Today did originally did post it as Cholera... original article title was "Norwegian Dawn quarantined off Mauritius coast with cholera cases" - which they modified an hour or so later.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

When I posted the USA Today article did say it was a cholera outbreak. It seems like they have edited the article since then to indicate it may be a cholera outbreak.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Mistizoom said:

When I posted the USA Today article did say it was a cholera outbreak. It seems like they have edited the article since then to indicate it may be a cholera outbreak.

I saw that original article too. They took the name of the "spokesperson" out too. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I saw that original article too. They took the name of the "spokesperson" out too. 

i noticed that too     Original article listed a supposed NCL spokesperson

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kjquilts said:

i noticed that too     Original article listed a supposed NCL spokesperson

I wouldn't be surprised if what that person said was along the lines "we have done testing to make sure it's not cholera and are waiting for the results" And that then morphed into "We suspect cholera" in the journalist's head.

5 minutes ago, WITraveler37 said:

This article gives the name of the spokesperson, Kate Edwards

More info as well in that article.
This measure comes in the wake of 15 passengers being isolated and tested for the disease, some showing mild stomach-related symptoms.

Although still a bit unclear if cholera is actually confirmed or suspected even if they say :

The cause: an outbreak of cholera onboard, confirmed by spokesperson Kate Edwards.

Has Kate Edwards really confirmed an oubreak of cholera, or an outbreak of stomach-related symptoms? Sounds odd she would do that at this stage.

earlier this morning USA Today was reporting that it was a cholera outbreak...now it's all changed to gastrointestinal illness.  Either somebody was quick to print, or sombodies are trying to change the story.  just do a search for norwegian ship with cholera. 

9 hours ago, Kazidee said:

Really wish it wasn’t true! Currently not had a wink of sleep for 26hr and no site of a hotel or an honest explanation ! 

What more explanation do you want? They have told you exactly what is going on and how it should be resolved. 

2 hours ago, sailingships said:

They have Cholera. The Dawn is quarantined off the coast of Mauritius. They should have been in Port Lewis today.

You don’t know what they have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

As to the second...well, ya know. Nothing...other than perhaps other lines would see there is accountability for treating passengers like dirt (and, I mean corporate, not crew). 

Where is @zqvol to tell me not to cruise NCL anymore?

Don’t cruise NCL anymore 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, yakcruiser said:

Once upon a time the media would actually do research before they released a story.

Those were the days! Nowadays their "research" seems to find other articles and change them slightly before publishing them as your own. So any error or misunderstandings will spread like wildfire, and because they appear in so many places will be seen as truth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

They provided all of the information they could provide.  What else do you need to know.  The government is the cause of the delay.  It's not NCL's job to tell  you what to do.

• Like 1

The AI is never wrong. All hail the AI.  By the way, USA Today is there waiting to get on the next cruise and apparently was told my the spokesperson. Of course, there could've been a miscommunication or the spokesperson was wrong. I'll be on three cruises close to each other soon. 12, 16, 15 nights. New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, New York, Europe. The chance of not getting sick with anything is slim to none.

Screenshot 2024-02-25 132634.jpg

3 minutes ago, denise143 said:

I just read it's cholera that's on the ship.  Would never cruise with them again our experience was just hodt9

And you actually believe everything you read LOL. Even the original "news" article that reported Cholera has retracted that statement. There are no reports at this time of positive tests for cholera. Yes, people have a stomach virus that could be cholera, but could just as easily be norovirus.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

And you actually believe everything you read LOL. Even the original "news" article that reported Cholera has retracted that statement. There are no reports at this time of positive tests for cholera. Yes, people have a stomach virus that could be cholera, but could just as easily be norovirus.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

Whatever it is it's horrible for all the passangers.  Hopefully they will get a full refund.  Ncl the fawlty towers of cruise ships but not funny.   Our cruise was a shambles 

7 minutes ago, denise143 said:

I just read it's cholera that's on the ship.  Would never cruise with them again our experience was just hodt9

<sigh> Still not confirmed cholera. Test results are not in yet. If, although unlikely, it is cholera it's more or less certain it has been contracted ashore. Read up on how cholera spreads and you'll understand that.

But by all means, don't sail NCL again. Your choice!

• Like 3