Norovirus is on the Dawn

julig22

9 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

No disembarking the next 24 hours.

Ship has been cleared, new passengers can start boarding Tuesday, all aboard 5pm I think.  Which is about 17 hours from now if my calculations are correct. So onboard passengers will probably start disembarking in the next 8-10 hours.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Gaycruisecouple99 said:

My husband and I were supposed to board Norwegian Dawn yesterday, and luckily were the third and fourth passengers to arrive at the port after they sent the text attached. We have been sent to lagoon attitude hotel on the opposite end of the island. My husband is a consultant microbiologist and infectious diseases doctor and laughed when they said it may be Cholera, considering the ship hadn’t been to east Africa, so the likelihood is that it may be Norovirus, and in a post covid world, there are no excuses for cruise lines having so many outbreaks of something that is easily prevented.

It's called people that have more important things to do on a cruise this.. They ain't got time to wash their hands.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

It's called people that have more important things to do on a cruise this.. They ain't got time to wash their hands.. 

But the do have time to medicate so they can still go on their excursions, dinners, shows etc. They paid $$$ for the cruise, more $$ for that excursion.  Not their problem if they pass their illness to everyone else.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

No disembarking the next 24 hours.

I just read in a German online newsite that they are allowed to disembark by tomorrow morning 6 am local time.

steamboats

• Like 1

Dutch news reporting about a few Dutchies on board:

image.thumb.png.c0647b30bd450affd6ce6406fdfa0b9e.png

..showing the Encore in their second shot, "This is the ship they are stuck on.." :

image.thumb.png.4536a337b602d8a80cba73404ba425d3.png

:classic_rolleyes:

edit: source RTLNieuws  https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/video/uitzendingen/video/06bf4775-3fee-4c7e-a6a8-d569c1737cc6/rtl-nieuws-1930-uur

Edited by FreestyleNovice

35 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

I know you’re being “tongue in cheek”,  but It’s that sort of narcissism that causes issues like this to begin with!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I know you’re being “tongue in cheek”,  but It’s that sort of narcissism that causes issues like this to begin with!  

I'm being 100% serious..  During my day to day I admit, I should wash my hands more than I do, but man, once I go somewhere, ie: hotel, vacations, anywhere like that, I don't have fingerprints left from washing so much lol.  I've watched people do the little dance to avoid the washy washy people, they walk right by the sinks at the buffet.. I've seen many people say "well they have their own sanitizer" or "they just washed their hands" etc etc.. Maybe so, but how did you make it there without any touching of any other high contact surface.. just let them squirt your hands again so then we know.. 

40 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

I've seen many people say "well they have their own sanitizer" or "they just washed their hands" etc etc.. Maybe so, but how did you make it there without any touching of any other high contact surface.. just let them squirt your hands again so then we know.. 

Yes indeed. We wash our hands in the cabin, but we forget that we must close our cabin doors by pulling on the door handles to make sure the doors lock behind us. Our cabin stewards go from cleaning one cabin to the next touching the same door handles....

52 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yes!  

A fever of any type is indicative of some sort of viral illness!

I have to call BS. How about a sinus infection with allergies. They can cause fever and bacteria can cause some sinus infections. 

15 minutes ago, cheersforbeers said:

I have to call BS. How about a sinus infection with allergies. They can cause fever and bacteria can cause some sinus infections. 

While true, some sinus infections are bacterial.  Most sinus infections are viral.

No matter, the bacteria and viruses that cause sinusitis are contagious! 

2 hours ago, cheersforbeers said:

What about those who may have elevated temps not from a virus? Denied? 

Better option would be to inform the passenger that they will be in isolation until proven they are not contagious. Or they can go home, maybe some FCC, although I don't necessarily think it's the cruise line's responsibility to refund - that's why you should be getting travel insurance.

Leave it up to the medical staff to determine the source of the fever.

9 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Leave it up to the medical staff to determine the source of the fever.

Here is another dread to watch out for. A gentleman on FB posted his bill, he felt ill on his cruise and reported to sick bay. He tested negative and was diagnosed with a sinus infection. His bill from the medical center was just about $3000. Had it been covid $ 0. Perhaps we should all bring our own home test kits with us before we visit sick bay ? Especially if not carrying insurance ? This was on NCL Breakaway.

17 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Perhaps we should all bring our own home test kits with us before we visit sick bay ? 

15 minutes ago, EngrJones said:

Doesn't everybody already do this?

I know we do.  We don't travel without them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CP Tech said:

Yep.. I had so many people I know who don't know that there are two ships there saying "This is fake right?" lol

Just a really bad picture to use.

I figured it was obviously not a current picture, since they're nowhere near each other at this time.

Man what a nightmare. I’m so sorry for everyone involved. I’m big on the Howie Mandel train of thought when it comes to touching public surfaces. Elevator buttons, hand rails, restroom handles, escalator handrails, door handles, etc. Use your elbow; a portion of your knuckle, a piece of your shirt; the corner of a credit card; a pen …… things like that. Hell I’ll even ask someone else to press the elevator button LOL. If restrooms don’t have a trash can by the exit door (a lot do these days), use a piece of tissue or hand towel to open the door and drop it on the floor. I’ll risk being a litterbug in lieu of grabbing a door handle then going back to my lunch table and enjoying my french fries 🤷🏽

Edited by JohnBergless
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JohnBergless said:

Man what a nightmare. I’m so sorry for everyone involved. I’m big on the Howie Mandel train of thought when it comes to touching public surfaces. Elevator buttons, hand rails, restroom handles, escalator handrails, door handles, etc. Use your elbow; a portion of your knuckle, a piece of your shirt; the corner of a credit card; a pen …… things like that. Hell I’ll even ask someone else to press the elevator button LOL. If restrooms don’t have a trash can by the exit door (a lot do these days), use a piece of tissue or hand towel to open the door and drop it on the floor. I’ll risk being a litterbug in lieu of grabbing a door handle then going back to my lunch table and enjoying my french fries 🤷🏽

Or, you can just hit the sanitizer dispenser at the entrance to all restaurants.

9 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Or, you can just hit the sanitizer dispenser at the entrance to all restaurants.

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/about/prevention.html
Hand sanitizer does not work well against norovirus. You can use hand sanitizers in addition to hand washing, but hand sanitizer is not a substitute for handwashing, which is best.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Yes!  

A fever of any type is indicative of some sort of viral illness!

Completely untrue!!  You can have a fever from a bacterial infection, fungal infection, or an elevated fever from no infection at all as an elevated body temperature can also be due to certain medications, hormones, and other non-infectious reasons

You can also have no fever and still have an infection and be contagious.

Taking temp would be no more than "theatre" used to shut people up and pretend all is safe.

Illness happens, everyone needs to just deal with it as people have since the beginning of time.  When it occurs, treat it and move on.

A covid test is a "snapshot" in time same as any test for an infection.  You can have negative test results and still be infectious and contagious and it just hasn't registered on the test.

Unless someone lives in a bubble, they are exposed to viruses, bacteria, infections, etc. everyday.   Take some simple precautions and live life.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2