How long needed for EWR to JFK?

After reading your concerns about our current plans to fly Clt to Munich and then buying separate tickets to Rome, we are using miles for tickets from CLT to Rome. We only have enough (we want Premium Economy for the extra room) miles for connecting flights from LaGuardia and then JFK to Rome. We have options of 6 H, 7.5 H or 13 H. Is 6 hours plenty of time?  I see travel time by taxi is approximately 90 minutes. I assume the airlines take care of transporting our luggage, correct?  Or do we have to retrieve it and check them in at JFK? 

Do you mean EWR or LGA? There is a massive difference in travel time to JFK. However, even from EWR 6 hours should be enough, more reliably from LGA.

Provided your luggage comes out promptly.

Because I believe you will have to retrieve your luggage, carry it with you, and do check in and security all over again at JFK.

I hope you have TSA pre-check, lines can be long in JFK.

I would try really, really hard to fly CLT - JFK - FCO, not thru EWR or LGA.

If you don't have enough miles for good flights, it might be worth buying the few extra that you need.

Edited by jollyjones

54 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Do you mean EWR or LGA? There is a massive difference in travel time to JFK. However, even from EWR 6 hours should be enough, more reliably from LGA.

Provided your luggage comes out promptly.

Because I believe you will have to retrieve your luggage, carry it with you, and do check in and security all over again at JFK.

I hope you have TSA pre-check, lines can be long in JFK.

I would try really, really hard to fly CLT - JFK - FCO, not thru EWR or LGA.

If you don't have enough miles for good flights, it might be worth buying the few extra that you need.

Sorry, yes it’s EWR. We have Global Entry, which includes pre-check. I assumed since it was connecting flights they would transport our luggage. When they did have tickets options, months ago when we first started looking, everyone said they didn’t leave enough time to make our connecting flights so we didn’t buy them. We could buy nonstop tickets but would have to fly economy. My husband is a big guy and he doesn’t want to do that. He’s not huge, but big enough that he wants the extra space. They do have a Clt-JFK, JFK-FCO. It has a 12.5 H layover and I think it’s about 15-20,000 more points, which we have.  You think it’s worth it?  That’s a really long time to be stuck at an airport!

6 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

No, you must take your bags.

I had no idea. What if you choose the option that is all through JFK. Would we still have to deal with our luggage?  It has a LONG layover. And I was mistaken. I forgot, although I got global entry months ago, my husband also applied back in August and has never heard from them. If we take one of the flight that first go to EWR or LGA, which is easier to get to JFK from?

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

After reading your concerns about our current plans to fly Clt to Munich and then buying separate tickets to Rome, we are using miles for tickets from CLT to Rome. We only have enough (we want Premium Economy for the extra room) miles for connecting flights from LaGuardia and then JFK to Rome. We have options of 6 H, 7.5 H or 13 H. Is 6 hours plenty of time?  I see travel time by taxi is approximately 90 minutes. I assume the airlines take care of transporting our luggage, correct?  Or do we have to retrieve it and check them in at JFK? 

Six hours (or more) is enough time to get from Newark to JFK but you will spend most of the time doing just that.  After picking up your bags at EWR the drive can easily stretch to 2 hours if there's a traffic back up (pretty common).  Once at JFK, you will have to check in your bags again and go through security.  If you have PreCheck security will be faster, if not, the regular security line usually feels like the first circle of hell.

If I were you I'd take the 12 hours at JFK -- you could always get a credit card that will give you lounge access or even get a room at the TWA hotel inside the airport.  It's not cheap but you'd be able to relax/shower/sleep. 

3 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Six hours (or more) is enough time to get from Newark to JFK but you will spend most of the time doing just that.  After picking up your bags at EWR the drive can easily stretch to 2 hours if there's a traffic back up (pretty common).  Once at JFK, you will have to check in your bags again and go through security.  If you have PreCheck security will be faster, if not, the regular security line usually feels like the first circle of hell.

If I were you I'd take the 12 hours at JFK -- you could always get a credit card that will give you lounge access or even get a room at the TWA hotel inside the airport.  It's not cheap but you'd be able to relax/shower/sleep. 

I believe my husband’s Chase Sapphire Reserve card has access, but do we have to book with that card or just show it?  Because we would book with our AAdvantage miles. 

14 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I believe my husband’s Chase Sapphire Reserve card has access, but do we have to book with that card or just show it?  Because we would book with our AAdvantage miles. 

Yes that card provides free access to Priority Pass Lounges -- simply show your Priority Pass card (or use their app).  Chase does not have it's own lounge (the way AmEx does).  JFK has several terminals so you will need to check what lounge would be closest to the terminal your airline is using.  Ofc, with so much time you could use the free air train to travel between terminals but you will need to clear security to enter a different terminal (and again to return to the one where your flight leaves.)    The Priority Pass website lets you search airports and lounge locations within.

Edited by mchell810
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mchell810 said:

Yes that card provides free access to Priority Pass Lounges -- simply show your Priority Pass card (or use their app).  Chase does not have it's own lounge (the way AmEx does).  JFK has several terminals so you will need to check what lounge would be closest to the terminal your airline is using.  Ofc, with so much time you could use the free air train to travel between lounges but you will need to clear security to enter a different terminal (and again to return to the one where your flight leaves.)    The Priority Pass website lets you search airports and lounge locations within.

Thanks so much!  This makes the long layover at JFK more appealing. 

• Like 1

Well done, that's by far your best option, and the luggage should go straight through.

As for lounge access - both your CLT-JFK and JFK-Rome flights should be at Terminal 8 in JFK if they are AA, and I'd definitely suggest avoiding going landside and having to resubmit yourselves to security if you can avoid it.

If there isn't a lounge you can use for free in T8, go up to the Admiral's Club by gate forty-something and enquire about a day pass - I don't know your tolerance for inconvenience but IMO that's by far the least aggravating way of spending your layover. It's one of their older clubs (looks a bit tired and worn) but there's still free WiFi, free booze and substantial nibbles to keep you going. And you can always go out for a walk around Terminal 8, concourses B and C, if you tire of sitting doing nothing. T8 isn't small.

PS double check which terminal your JFK-Rome flight is from in JFK - if you are on a mileage award ticket it could be a code share operated by an airline that isn't AA. The airline actually operating the flight is the important one.

7 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Well done, that's by far your best option, and the luggage should go straight through.

I agree. I’m so glad we kept scrolling until we found it. 

As for lounge access - both your CLT-JFK and JFK-Rome flights should be at Terminal 8 in JFK if they are AA, and I'd definitely suggest avoiding going landside and having to resubmit yourselves to security if you can avoid it.

If there isn't a lounge you can use for free in T8, go up to the Admiral's Club by gate forty-something and enquire about a day pass - I don't know your tolerance for inconvenience but IMO that's by far the least aggravating way of spending your layover. It's one of their older clubs (looks a bit tired and worn) but there's still free WiFi, free booze and substantial nibbles to keep you going. And you can always go out for a walk around Terminal 8, concourses B and C, if you tire of sitting doing nothing. T8 isn't small.

The Chase lounge is in terminal 4. Any idea how far apart they are via air train?  As long as we have we thought it might be worth it. 

PS double check which terminal your JFK-Rome flight is from in JFK - if you are on a mileage award ticket it could be a code share operated by an airline that isn't AA. The airline actually operating the flight is the important one.

It appears to be AA. 

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I agree. I’m so glad we kept scrolling until we found it. 

The Chase lounge is in terminal 4. Any idea how far apart they are via air train?  As long as we have we thought it might be worth it. 

It appears to be AA. 

10 minutes or so on Airtrain. Be sure and board the train just circulating between terminals. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tompeter said:

10 minutes or so on Airtrain. Be sure and board the train just circulating between terminals. 

If it's only a ten minutes ride and we have 6 hours between flights it would be worth it to go to the terminal with the Chase lounge.  Hopefully my husbands Global Entry get's taken care of in time.  I can't believe we applied at the same time and my pre-approval came the same day and I already have mine (although my friend and I had to travel to Atlanta for our appointment) and he's still waiting for approval.  If he doesn't hear something soon, I think he should just go ahead and apply for TSA PreCheck.

If, as I suspect, the Chase lounge is airside at T4, ie inside security, I don't know if you can get at it.

I did a little google, and it seems that TSA regs say you can go in any terminal with a valid boarding pass for that day, but the info was old - you may want to follow up on that. The TSA person at T4 will tell you that you're in the wrong place but you may be OK if you explain, but you will of course have to go through Security at T4. Then again at T8 on your way back - you so definitely need TSA pre-check!

Unfortunately at JFK there is no way to get between terminals airside, you have to go landside to the Air Train - which is a quick and efficient way to get to the landside of each Terminal, but almost everything you need in a Terminal is inside security.

40 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

If, as I suspect, the Chase lounge is airside at T4, ie inside security, I don't know if you can get at it.

I did a little google, and it seems that TSA regs say you can go in any terminal with a valid boarding pass for that day, but the info was old - you may want to follow up on that. The TSA person at T4 will tell you that you're in the wrong place but you may be OK if you explain, but you will of course have to go through Security at T4. Then again at T8 on your way back - you so definitely need TSA pre-check!

Unfortunately at JFK there is no way to get between terminals airside, you have to go landside to the Air Train - which is a quick and efficient way to get to the landside of each Terminal, but almost everything you need in a Terminal is inside security.

Sounds like a pain, but with such a long layover it would be worth it.  How much time would we need to allow to get back to terminal 8 and get to our gate in plenty of time?  I'm always early everywhere, so I will pad whatever I'm told.  

On 2/25/2024 at 10:34 AM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Does that mean they don’t take care of our luggage on this mess?  

IMG_2274.png

And is that connection at LHR long enough?

The airlines would transport your luggage on that itinerary.  The only reason you would have had to collect and re-check it on the other itinerary was because it involved changing airports during the connection, from EWR to JFK. 

• Like 1

TSA at JFK will allow access to other terminals with any valid JFK boarding pass.  Given the Amex Lounge, Chase Lounge and other Priority Pass lounges are in T4, the TSA there is used to people doing this.  I've done it myself.

If you have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the associated Priority Pass can also be used at the Bobby Van's Steakhouse in T8 for a $28 per person credit.

AA generally starts boarding 45 mins before flight time, sometimes earlier for transatlantic flights. 
I would allow at least a minimum of 30 mins to get from your T4 lounge to the T8 gate, but that assumes the train and the TSA lanes are working well, and that you walk briskly. 
I assume nothing, I have been in the TSA pre-check lane for ages when there was a shortage of staff. Personally I’d leave T4 two hours before my flight time, many would say that’s too much but I work on the principle that hours early always beats seconds too late. 
It will take you at least 30 mins, probably longer, from your CLT flight arriving at the T8 gate to getting into the T4 lounge so your 6 hour layover is in reality much less!

I have many long layovers at T8 and just stay there airside, but I am an Admiral’s club member which makes a difference. 

PS I’d recommend getting the free myTSA app, it’s useful.