For Those Who've Sailed Transatlantic...Dress Code?

strawbs1

On 3/2/2024 at 8:58 PM, sharkster77 said:

Are the men's pants that you're referring to chinos/khakis?  I find that chinos with an oxford shirt, and maybe a sweater totally appropriate.  I don't find that to be egregious at all.

If not, what kind of "landscaper's garb" are you talking about?  Just looking to understand.  When I want to be dressier than just wearing jeans, I get a pair of chinos out--I wore them for teaching for 40 years.

Around here, many of the landscapers get their attire from yard sales - smart decision in my mind.  Just something very cheap to be completely worn out then discarded.  Don't really care about fit or style.  So, it may very well be something you wore 20 years ago while teaching and just now cleaning out your closet.  Fashion and one's size likely changed over 20 years.

I didn't post to criticize certain people's fashion or style.  Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the members of the jean police.  To me & my wife, there are certainly things we see in restaurants on board that are worse than jeans.

As an example, there were two ladies in Manfredi's on our last tour wearing what we called mu-mu gowns as a child.  What our elderly relatives wore when they became shut-ins.  Very similar to a printed hospital gown with a more secure closure in the back.  Not the stylish gowns you may see in tropical areas.  Again, not elegant casual.

8 minutes ago, mwike said:

Around here, many of the landscapers get their attire from yard sales - smart decision in my mind.  Just something very cheap to be completely worn out then discarded.  Don't really care about fit or style.  So, it may very well be something you wore 20 years ago while teaching and just now cleaning out your closet.  Fashion and one's size likely changed over 20 years.

I didn't post to criticize certain people's fashion or style.  Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the members of the jean police.  To me & my wife, there are certainly things we see in restaurants on board that are worse than jeans.

As an example, there were two ladies in Manfredi's on our last tour wearing what we called mu-mu gowns as a child.  What our elderly relatives wore when they became shut-ins.  Very similar to a printed hospital gown with a more secure closure in the back.  Not the stylish gowns you may see in tropical areas.  Again, not elegant casual.

OK, I just didn't get the 'landscaper' reference---have never paid much attention to what they wear, not many of them in the  rural area where I live--I know that when I do yard work I don't wear my Sunday best!

I would say that the 'preppy' look of chinos, oxford shirts, maybe a sweater, mabye with a sports jacket, has stayed somewhat in style and is accepted pretty  much universally for casual office wear, in-classroom wear, etc.  I have seen that style in the 70s and still see it today.

I find that look for men totally appropriate for dining on a Viking river or ocean cruise.  I 'think' you do as well, but it's tough to judge one's tone in a message post.

Here's a tip from a veteran Viking cruiser who has sailed Transatlantic with Viking...
Sailing East to West I wear my baseball cap FOREWARD for dinner in the Restaurant.
Sailing West to East I wear my baseball cap BACKWARDS for dinner in the Restaurant.
Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

12 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Here's a tip from a veteran Viking cruiser who has sailed Transatlantic with Viking...
Sailing East to West I wear my baseball cap FOREWARD for dinner in the Restaurant.
Sailing West to East I wear my baseball cap BACKWARDS for dinner in the Restaurant.
Hope this helps!

You know, Tom Landry never wore his famous fedora when the Cowboys played in an indoor stadium. He said his mother would have smacked him.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I don't normally read dress code discussions because they all have the same outcome - in my opinion...  No offence to anyone.

Some see enforcement happening and some wish there was more enforcement.

I cam into this discussion because we have never done a Viking TA cruise before and we are considering for October this year, and I was curious if there was a dress code difference that we should be aware of.

Obviously not.

We will continue to "dress for dinner" in a level above what we wear during the day and on excursion.  Why?  Because we feel like dinner and the show after is more of an event if we shower and dress up a bit, and this makes US feel good.

Don't care about what others do or don't do - we will do what we do.

The only thing I cannot tolerate is men wearing sleeveless over the shoulder (hate the other name for them) t-shirts revealing their hairy arm pits when I am trying to eat.  This includes in the World Cafe.  There is a certain build of man that typically sports this look and it is not food friendly.  Again - my opinion.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished the TA cruise and clothing choices for evening were all over the place.  Saw everything from really well dressed people as well as people looking like they were about to clean out their basements in the dining room at night.  Obviously the lady assigning tables did not enforce the dress code which is sad.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The declining dress code of passengers is a topic that has been thoroughly aired on this forum, but I just read an article about The World, the residential ship of the ultra wealthy that is on a permanent world cruise. They have the same issue:

When Antonucci was a resident, he says “gentlemen wore jackets and ties.” He was last on the ship, visiting friends, in November 2023 and says times have changed – he suggests now you’re more likely to see people wearing shorts and tank tops than black tie.

“That’s a little unfortunate,” says Antonucci, wistfully.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/what-its-like-on-board-the-world-cruise-ship/index.html

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

On Orion at the moment and was rendered speechless by a man in a bathrobe and baseball cap in the Explorers Lounge this evening. Nothing on his lower legs and I daren't look too close anywhere else.

Edited by Hockeyump
Add
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hockeyump said:

On Orion at the moment and was rendered speechless by a man in a bathrobe and baseball cap in the Explorers Lounge. Nothing on his lower legs and I daren't look too close anywhere else.

If he was FaceTiming, you would have hit the Trifecta. 

• Haha 5

On 3/6/2024 at 11:26 AM, OneSixtyToOne said:

You know, Tom Landry never wore his famous fedora when the Cowboys played in an indoor stadium. He said his mother would have smacked him.

That has also been attributed to Bear Bryant.  Would not wear his famous houndstooth hat in the LA Superdome.

Here's me on our last TA.  Note the hat does not show Eastbound or Westbound direction.  Can't see but wearing fashionable bell bottom jeans.  Got in everywhere....🥃

Image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We embark on our first TA cruise this October.  Looks like I can go with a carry on only for this cruise.  A couple pairs of cutoff shorts some tank tops and flip flops and I am good to go!

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We embark on our first TA cruise this October.  Looks like I can go with a carry on only for this cruise.  A couple pairs of cutoff shorts some tank tops and flip flops and I am good to go!

Too funny!  We want photos!!

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 9:52 AM, OneSixtyToOne said:

The declining dress code of passengers is a topic that has been thoroughly aired on this forum, but I just read an article about The World, the residential ship of the ultra wealthy that is on a permanent world cruise. They have the same issue:

When Antonucci was a resident, he says “gentlemen wore jackets and ties.” He was last on the ship, visiting friends, in November 2023 and says times have changed – he suggests now you’re more likely to see people wearing shorts and tank tops than black tie.

“That’s a little unfortunate,” says Antonucci, wistfully.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/what-its-like-on-board-the-world-cruise-ship/index.html

That clientele is the type that wants to be seen all dolled up to show off their wealth.

To Vikings credit, there are probably guests in the same tier as The World, but are fine driving their Toyota Camry.

24 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

That clientele is the type that wants to be seen all dolled up to show off their wealth.

To Vikings credit, there are probably guests in the same tier as The World, but are fine driving their Toyota Camry.

The point of my post was that even the “all dolled up” crowd is now dressing down. It’s a trend. IMO a trend that accelerated after the pandemic isolation. Many people see no reason to dress up for dinner after not doing so for a few years.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

The point of my post was that even the “all dolled up” crowd is now dressing down. It’s a trend. IMO a trend that accelerated after the pandemic isolation. Many people see no reason to dress up for dinner after not doing so for a few years.

Agree...  We went to a local restaurant two nights ago for dinner.  This is a quiet - no blaring music - white tablecloths, intimate Italian specialty restaurant.  Even without wine you are going to be looking at $250 for two with tip.

This was always the type of restaurant that you got a little bit dressed up for, and we did.  Not a tie, or jacket, but just cleaned up a bit like we would for a Viking evening meal.

The guy that was in my view for the full meal was in jeans that looked like they had not been washed in months, and a thin (washed too many times) stretched out t-shirt.  I put on better t-shirts for working in the garden.

All around him were folks that were in from elegant casual to actually dressed up.  

This is what we see everywhere today.  I am getting to the point of not fighting it or being worried about it.

We will dress how it makes us feel good and to heck with everyone else.

We will continue to follow Viking's dress code because we tend to be rule followers.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

In that restaurant or on Viking such breaches of normal dress are a failure of management.

Totally agree, but I think "management" today is afraid to offend anyone because of the potential social media attacks...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Totally agree, but I think "management" today is afraid to offend anyone because of the potential social media attacks...

And here I am totally offended by social media and no one cares....

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Exactly!   Viking people seem to walk on egg shells all the time, not just in restaurants, but everywhere, so fearful of people launching diatribes on social media at them!  They've lost their backbone.  

• Like 3