For Those Who've Sailed Transatlantic...Dress Code?

strawbs1

I've sailed Viking many times but this Saturday I leave for my first Atlantic crossing with them.  For those who've done that, is there any real difference in dress code between Viking's traditional cruises and their crossings?  I have seen that be the case on other lines--the crossings were significantly more dressy.  Thanks!

Not more dressy that I’ve noticed.  Leaving on our 3rd one in two weeks.  No jeans at dinner or shorts (unless in Ocean View—very casual) in the Restaurant, Manfredi’s or Chef’s Table.  Perhaps because of sea days, there is a little more effort but not necessary.

11 minutes ago, strawbs1 said:

I've sailed Viking many times but this Saturday I leave for my first Atlantic crossing with them.  For those who've done that, is there any real difference in dress code between Viking's traditional cruises and their crossings?  I have seen that be the case on other lines--the crossings were significantly more dressy.  Thanks!

We did a TA last December.

To tell the truth, these days on Viking it seems to be whatever the passenger wants to try to get away with.  Sometimes and some ships they enforce dress code at the Specialty Restaurants and sometimes they don't.   On our current Rome to Athens cruise, the standards never seem to be enforce and we have seen quite a bit of sloppy World Cafe style dressing in Manfredi's and Chef's table.

Take your chances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, duquephart said:

"sloppy World Cafe style dressing"

?????????????????

🙂  OK OK DQ - perhaps "Sloppy" wasn't the best choice of words.  But this trip most are going very very very casual, as in pool resort style - which is just fine with me at World Cafe - just not in the 2 specialty restaurants.

Again - the main point was simply that Viking is very inconsistent in any enforcement of their dress codes.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah...I've noticed the inconsistent dress over the past few years too.  And don't get me started on Polaris!!  I'd come back from an excursion and ordered a drink in the lounge in denim capris and ratty sandals and when the waiter delivered it I realized it was after 6 so I said "Oh my God!  Can I be in here dressed like this??" and he said "Sure," it was my vacation...and then I looked at the people sitting at the bar and they were all in shorts and t-shirts.  Anyway, thanks everyone!  I'm old school and actually sort of like dressing up a bit but don't want to look like I'm trying too hard!  I'll keep it elegant casual.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

🙂  OK OK DQ - perhaps "Sloppy" wasn't the best choice of words.  But this trip most are going very very very casual, as in pool resort style - which is just fine with me at World Cafe - just not in the 2 specialty restaurants.

Again - the main point was simply that Viking is very inconsistent in any enforcement of their dress codes.

Hosts having dress code discretion might not be a good thing. Maybe more concerned about "tips" than policy?

• Like 2

We did a TA last December.

To tell the truth, these days on Viking it seems to be whatever the passenger wants to try to get away with.  Sometimes and some ships they enforce dress code at the Specialty Restaurants and sometimes they don't.   On our current Rome to Athens cruise, the standards never seem to be enforce and we have seen quite a bit of sloppy World Cafe style dressing in Manfredi's and Chef's table.

Take your chances.

We were told that they tend not to enforce dress codes in restaurants on the day you embark, the day before you disembark, and if your luggage has not arrived.  I know of several people on one of our cruises who boarded without luggage and due to her size could find nothing in the stores before boarding our Barcelona to BA TA.  Unfortunately, none of m6 stuff fit her either as I offered.  

IMG_5197.thumb.jpeg.0e903975cd24a60821e4e76f3675b7e5.jpeg

If you ever encounter guest lecturer Peter LaSorsa, make sure to attend all of his lectures. His talks on the ancient world are as interesting as Russell Lee's.

http://cruiseshipenrichment.net/speaker.asp?ID=56714273&DisplayStatus=1

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Interesting enough,  this was highlighted in this morning’s Viking Daily (we are on Saturn in Venice (Chioggia).  Titled DRESS CODE REMINDER.  
There apparently have been a number of complaints on our last segment about Vikings lack of enforcement.  We shall see.  Some people don’t read and some don’t care.

IMG_5204.thumb.jpeg.f0cad231694c0b703bb069629b9a2ab6.jpeg

On 2/28/2024 at 8:27 AM, CCWineLover said:

Interesting enough,  this was highlighted in this morning’s Viking Daily (we are on Saturn in Venice (Chioggia).  Titled DRESS CODE REMINDER.  
There apparently have been a number of complaints on our last segment about Vikings lack of enforcement.  We shall see.  Some people don’t read and some don’t care.

IMG_5204.thumb.jpeg.f0cad231694c0b703bb069629b9a2ab6.jpeg

I’m going to post a précis of our cruise when I get myself sorted i.e. unpacked, laundry etc. but felt I had to jump in here in response to Kent’s post.  We did the Barcelona to Venice legs of Kent’s cruise and I really don’t think there was any enforcement of dress code around the ship.  One evening I saw 3 women leaving Manfredi’s all ‘dressed’ very casually to say the least.  One of the women had on baggy jogging bottoms tucked into UGG boots and what I can only describe as a utility coat with lots of pockets that you’d wear to go fishing - they would have looked under dressed for the World Cafe!!  There was a guy very casually dressed who always seemed to wear a knitted cap/hat in the restaurant.  I also saw a man with his bath robe on (no trousers) standing at the bar in the Living Room, it was quite busy, talking to others for at least 20 mins. I could go on and on!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

"Standing in his bathrobe at the bar" strikes me as a new low.

That's pretty bad.

We had two “dudes” show up in bathrobes for afternoon tea. Their significant others were already seated, dressed to the nines. Their attempt at derision I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The physicians on M.A.S.H. often lounged in their bathrobes when the cocktails flag was hoisted. Which was most of the time.

But, Viking should have put a stop to this...

• Like 4

On the dress code threads it's common to see folks complain about jeans in the restaurants.  But why doesn't anyone ever complain/comment about men wearing pants and shirts that look to be something similar to what many landscapers wear as their daily work attire?  These are certainly not elegant casual.  

Obviously, the elegant casual requirement is subjective where no jeans is definite.  No one in authority can use judgement any longer!

I'd certainly rather see fashionable jeans, shirts and shoes than the most basic non-denim trousers...  I see many more people not wearing jeans that violate the elegant casual requirement than I see people wearing jeans that violate the no jean rule.

Not meant to sound like a fashionista, as I'm clearly not.  Just pointing out that there's many other violations to the dress code that are much more egregious to some.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mwike said:

On the dress code threads it's common to see folks complain about jeans in the restaurants.  But why doesn't anyone ever complain/comment about men wearing pants and shirts that look to be something similar to what many landscapers wear as their daily work attire?  These are certainly not elegant casual.  

Obviously, the elegant casual requirement is subjective where no jeans is definite.  No one in authority can use judgement any longer!

I'd certainly rather see fashionable jeans, shirts and shoes than the most basic non-denim trousers...  I see many more people not wearing jeans that violate the elegant casual requirement than I see people wearing jeans that violate the no jean rule.

Not meant to sound like a fashionista, as I'm clearly not.  Just pointing out that there's many other violations to the dress code that are much more egregious to some.

Are the men's pants that you're referring to chinos/khakis?  I find that chinos with an oxford shirt, and maybe a sweater totally appropriate.  I don't find that to be egregious at all.

If not, what kind of "landscaper's garb" are you talking about?  Just looking to understand.  When I want to be dressier than just wearing jeans, I get a pair of chinos out--I wore them for teaching for 40 years.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1

In my former company, chinos / khaki slacks and polo / golf shirts were identified as appropriate for business casual attire. For men and women.

Now that I'm retired, I've seen a lot of "I wore a suit and tie for 40 years, and nobody will tell me what I may or may not wear now".

Which makes any kind of code difficult to enforce. Even in religious houses of worship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

In my former company, chinos / khaki slacks and polo / golf shirts were identified as appropriate for business casual attire. For men and women.

Now that I'm retired, I've seen a lot of "I wore a suit and tie for 40 years, and nobody will tell me what I may or may not wear now".

Which makes any kind of code difficult to enforce. Even in religious houses of worship.

Agree totally with you.  Big jump though, from "you can't make me wear a suit" to wearing a robe w/o pants in public!  I'm often amazed at what folks wear to church, TBH.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1