Free fitness classes for "mature" folks?

rodndonna

We will be on our first Princess cruise in April with Princess "Plus" so 2 free fitness classes. 

I generally wouldn't pay for fitness classes (You-Tube is wonderfull) but am wondering what kind of classes they have - and are they generally geared to younger fit folks (like spin classes) or do they have a good variety for varying ages and abilities?

Would they have lower impact aerobics, stretching classes or yoga levels appropriate for more mature folks where I wouldn't feel out of place? 

A bit off topic but sticking with the theme of the gym for "mature" users.  I use a stationery bike at the gym 3 days a week to keep my knee replacement happy.  I have been on Grand, Regal, Sky and Enchanted Princess and have not found one stationery bike I can use.  They are all "racing" bikes.  😢

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Senga said:

A bit off topic but sticking with the theme of the gym for "mature" users.  I use a stationery bike at the gym 3 days a week to keep my knee replacement happy.  I have been on Grand, Regal, Sky and Enchanted Princess and have not found one stationery bike I can use.  They are all "racing" bikes.  😢

I have a recumbent bike at home, but use the treadmill on the ships.  My knees don’t thank me for it.  I cannot use those spin cycles either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

The yoga is very basic, good for beginners. Pure Barre you need to have a good established core. 

There's Zumba and Tai Chi at Sea too, you can make it low impact with your movements.

I had to look up Pure Barre - my core is no longer as "established" as it was in my Pilates days, but always trying to find ways to get it back in time for golf season.

Thank you all for your replies - will be bringing workout wear - no excuse with a couple of free classes and self-serve laundry to boot!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

I had to look up Pure Barre - my core is no longer as "established" as it was in my Pilates days, but always trying to find ways to get it back in time for golf season.

Thank you all for your replies - will be bringing workout wear - no excuse with a couple of free classes and self-serve laundry to boot!

Good for you!  I lost my core, but I’m trying really hard to locate it.  

• Haha 8

19 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I have a recumbent bike at home, but use the treadmill on the ships.  My knees don’t thank me for it.  I cannot use those spin cycles either.

I have two bad knees and now I only use the Elliptical machine, usually an hour at a time x 5 days a week.  And, no knee issues! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LACruiser88 said:

I have two bad knees and now I only use the Elliptical machine, usually an hour at a time x 5 days a week.  And, no knee issues! 

Awesome!  I was actually considering getting an Elliptical machine for home, too.  I wondered if it would work for wonky knees.  Good to know, thanks!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Awesome!  I was actually considering getting an Elliptical machine for home, too.  I wondered if it would work for wonky knees.  Good to know, thanks!

My orthopedic surgeon recommended swimming or the Elliptical as non-impact exercise.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Senga said:

I just had knee replacement surgery in January, and we are cruising the end of March. I was hoping to use a stationary bike to help with my recovery. I am so disappointed to hear Princess doesn't have stationary bikes.  I need to start looking for an alternative plan. 😞 

• Like 2

Just now, curlybelle2 said:

I just had knee replacement surgery in January, and we are cruising the end of March. I was hoping to use a stationary bike to help with my recovery. I am so disappointed to hear Princess doesn't have stationary bikes.  I need to start looking for an alternative plan. 😞 

I can only manage a recumbent bike, so I guess I’m really out of luck.  I’ll just stick to a slow and easy treadmill and some ice afterwards.  The ice is for the gin and tonic.

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

apple-core.webp?w=736&f=14761987af371e1f

Yup, that looks just like my body….thanks!  Now if someone comes across my metabolism hiding out there somewhere, I’d certainly appreciate being reunited.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 10:15 AM, startedwithamouse said:

There's Zumba and Tai Chi at Sea too, you can make it low impact with your movements.

I do Zumba and I find the Princess classes to be at a moderate level, with little of the jumping or squats you may find in a real fitness center class. It is easy to adjust your activity level up or down and there are plenty of folks who do so. 

• Like 1