Yet another Flam railway question ?

We will be calling at Flam Friday 28th June 2024 (07:00 until 19:00)

is it possible to book the train on the day, and not through the cruise company.

don’t really want to book the train and find on the day it’s foggy, misty or torrential rain.

and we have spent a lot of money seeing nothing.

has anyone booked this way ?

I understand Flam is a very small village, but are there any nice hikes/walks in the area ?

how have people spent their time, who didn’t take the train.

You'd better book as soon as you possibly can - the train sells out and sells out quick. Buying tix on the day you arrive probably will not be a possibility.  The cruise lines vacuum up huge amounts of tickets and then others jump in and buy too.  I doubt there will be tickets available when you walk off the ship.

Train will sell out - very limited capacity in relation to the large cruise ships.

If you do not want to book a long time in advance, you can check on Vy.no when you have seen the weather forecast for the day - there might be tickets available.

We had small children, so we did the train first and then visited a goat farm and had a lovely local lunch after exploring a beautiful nearby small town.  I don't know if the goat farm tour is still offered, but the company that ran the excursion was great and has a lot of other options, including lots of ones for active tourists: https://www.fjordtours.com/places-to-visit-in-norway/flam/ 

There's also the Stegastein viewpoint (also more likely to be enjoyable in clear weather but I don't think that would be as likely to fill up as the train).  

It was rainy/cold/foggy on the day we were in Flam, and we still really enjoyed the train (would have gone irregardless because our small kids like trains).  But it absolutely would be better with clearer weather.  As noted above, it will sell out so waiting is a risk.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

Train will sell out - very limited capacity in relation to the large cruise ships.

If you do not want to book a long time in advance, you can check on Vy.no when you have seen the weather forecast for the day - there might be tickets available.

I booked through Norway's Best and the train is cancellable up to 24 hours before departure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We have the train booked direct with them already. Obviously alot less expensive that through the ship.

Originally had July 13 booked, but today the itinerary changed for July 14. I couldn't (or didn't find) change the date, so I easily cancelled the original day and rebooked for the new date. No issues. And we certainly don't want to risk a sellout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1