Marina Cabin Upgrade Questions

2CDNcruisers

We are booked on Marina in Concierge Veranda A2 and the fare is paid in full as we are less than 150 days out.  At the time of booking, PH3 was $3000CAD/pp more than A2 so I balked.  PH3 pricing has been lowered and is now $1400CAD/pp more so I'm considering it.  The PH suites will be renovated by then and on a 12 day cruise, I think we will enjoy the extra space.  I have some questions: 

-  Can I upgrade the existing booking?  We are in the 50% cancellation penalty window, so obviously we don't want to do that.  

-  Should I wait until after the New Year's promotion ends to see what March brings in terms of offers?  Could the price still go lower?

-  Is there a chance Oceania customer service will offer me a better upgrade fare than what's posted on the website?

-  Any other upgrade tips/tricks/cautionary tales appreciated 🙂 

This will be our first cruise ever and we are VERY excited.  It's a milestone year for us (birthdays and anniversary) and we just know this is going to be an amazing trip! 

-  Can I upgrade the existing booking?  We are in the 50% cancellation penalty window, so obviously we don't want to do that.  

You need to speak to your TA, if you booked through one, otherwise ring Oceania. The chances are as you are upgrading they will allow you to change without penalty they will just reprice the trip.

As to your other questions ‘who knows’? It’s almost like asking “how long is a piece of string?”

In my experience, and this is only my experience, when an offer comes up if it’s good I take it. Often offers are only there for a short time. Oceania also offers a best price guarantee so if the price decreases they will reprice at the lower price.

PH v Concierge. Obviously the PH are considerably larger and will be refurbished which I’m assuming means lovely walk-in showers and of course a butler. The concierge cabins are smaller but still a reasonable size but will only have soft furnishing upgrades not bathrooms.

This sounds like a ‘special’ cruise apart from it being your first. I would  suggest that either cabin will be lovely but obviously the PH will be more special. Just one word of warning, if you like a sunny balcony, deck 11 has a huge overhang from the pool deck above so you may just be better on deck 10. 

We’ve sailed with Oceania 10 times with a few coming up and have never been disappointed. We sail PH2 or concierge depending on itinerary and price. I’d be happy to travel either. Once you leave your cabin everybody is treated the same irrespective of cabin grade. Enjoy! 

• Like 1

The answers to your questions can be Yes or Maybe or it could even go up with a price increase.  I am guessing you will be in the Mediterranean, early in the season. Have you talked to your Agent or Oceania Reservations Rep to see what PH’s and locations are available? Once you know your options I think you can make that final decision.  The trip is a milestone and you suggest you could/would do it.  All I have learned over the last 50 years, Happy Wife, Happy Life. Marina will be positively beautiful with her updates and life in a PH with your 50% more space, Butler, early access to Specialty Dinner reservations, etc., why not because it is YOUR decision. We have sailed Marina and Riviera many times in PH’s and you will love it. 
IMHO, go for the gusto and don’t look back 😇👍❤️

Mauibabes

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

-  Can I upgrade the existing booking?  We are in the 50% cancellation penalty window, so obviously we don't want to do that.  

You need to speak to your TA, if you booked through one, otherwise ring Oceania. The chances are as you are upgrading they will allow you to change without penalty they will just reprice the trip.

As to your other questions ‘who knows’? It’s almost like asking “how long is a piece of string?”

In my experience, and this is only my experience, when an offer comes up if it’s good I take it. Often offers are only there for a short time. Oceania also offers a best price guarantee so if the price decreases they will reprice at the lower price.

PH v Concierge. Obviously the PH are considerably larger and will be refurbished which I’m assuming means lovely walk-in showers and of course a butler. The concierge cabins are smaller but still a reasonable size but will only have soft furnishing upgrades not bathrooms.

This sounds like a ‘special’ cruise apart from it being your first. I would  suggest that either cabin will be lovely but obviously the PH will be more special. Just one word of warning, if you like a sunny balcony, deck 11 has a huge overhang from the pool deck above so you may just be better on deck 10. 

We’ve sailed with Oceania 10 times with a few coming up and have never been disappointed. We sail PH2 or concierge depending on itinerary and price. I’d be happy to travel either. Once you leave your cabin everybody is treated the same irrespective of cabin grade. Enjoy! 

Thank you!  There is a PH3 available on deck 10, across from the laundry room.  I'm prone to motion sickness so we are trying to stay as midship as possible.  This is about 1/3 of the way back from the bow.  Thoughts?

11 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

The answers to your questions can be Yes or Maybe or it could even go up with a price increase.  I am guessing you will be in the Mediterranean, early in the season. Have you talked to your Agent or Oceania Reservations Rep to see what PH’s and locations are available? Once you know your options I think you can make that final decision.  The trip is a milestone and you suggest you could/would do it.  All I have learned over the last 50 years, Happy Wife, Happy Life. Marina will be positively beautiful with her updates and life in a PH with your 50% more space, Butler, early access to Specialty Dinner reservations, etc., why not because it is YOUR decision. We have sailed Marina and Riviera many times in PH’s and you will love it. 
IMHO, go for the gusto and don’t look back 😇👍❤️

Mauibabes

Thanks so much!  I'm the happy wife in this scenario LOL.  We are currently booked midship on deck 9 (I'm prone to motion sickness which is my only worry about this voyage).  The available P3 is on deck 10 1/3 of the way back from the bow, across from the laundry room.  We are cruising around the UK, with a day crossing the North Sea, in the summer.  

5 minutes ago, DebandBrian said:

Thank you!  There is a PH3 available on deck 10, across from the laundry room.  I'm prone to motion sickness so we are trying to stay as midship as possible.  This is about 1/3 of the way back from the bow.  Thoughts?

We had PH3 10020 across from the laundry room last year on the Marina from Lima to Miami.  The location was very convenient to the stairs and elevator as well as the laundry and I would have no hesitation to book that suite again.  We did not notice any more motion than further toward the middle of the ship.   

14 minutes ago, DebandBrian said:

Thanks so much!  I'm the happy wife in this scenario LOL.  We are currently booked midship on deck 9 (I'm prone to motion sickness which is my only worry about this voyage).  The available P3 is on deck 10 1/3 of the way back from the bow, across from the laundry room.  We are cruising around the UK, with a day crossing the North Sea, in the summer.  

I would disagree with seaventuregal if you are prone to seasickness. 

Living in the UK the weather is always unpredictable and the North Sea can be rough at anytime of the year. We sailed from Southhampton to the Norwegian Fjords last June and had wonderful calm seas, in August it was very stormy!

There are good seasickness remedies so maybe take the PH with good medication on hand … just in case!  The  Concierge cabin is close to the concierge lounge on deck 9.

Edited by Vallesan

1 hour ago, Vallesan said:

Are you sure? On the Riviera they did a complete upgrade of the bathrooms, removed bathtubs from most cabins and installed big showers. This was done even on OV cabins. Is Marina refurbishment different?

1 hour ago, DebandBrian said:

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Are you sure? On the Riviera they did a complete upgrade of the bathrooms, removed bathtubs from most cabins and installed big showers. This was done even on OV cabins. Is Marina refurbishment different?

Yes pretty sure. They announced that the refurbishments in cabins lower than PH will just be ‘soft furnishings’ and not bathrooms! Sad but true!

• Thanks 1

You will have some laundry room traffic but not too bad since only 12 days. Go ahead and grab it and put your name on a Waitlist for a PH 2 or 1 in a better mid ship  location. You ca’t WL a 3 because you would be in a 3. 
Try a Scopalomine patch if you are concerned about the motion of the ocean. 
have a FABULOUS tirst Oceania adventure. Remember your Butler can serve you Course by Course Room Service Dinners from any Specialty restaurant. 
Mauibabes

1 hour ago, Vallesan said:

Yes pretty sure. They announced that the refurbishments in cabins lower than PH will just be ‘soft furnishings’ and not bathrooms! Sad but true!

That's my understanding as well.  In fact, I didn't think anything below PH was even being touched.  I actually do like a tub, which was a plus for us when choosing A2.  But the extra space and brand new "everything" in the PH is so tempting.  My TA is away on vacation but I texted her and she said to go ahead and call Oceania directly .  

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

You will have some laundry room traffic but not too bad since only 12 days. Go ahead and grab it and put your name on a Waitlist for a PH 2 or 1 in a better mid ship  location. You ca’t WL a 3 because you would be in a 3. 
Try a Scopalomine patch if you are concerned about the motion of the ocean. 
have a FABULOUS tirst Oceania adventure. Remember your Butler can serve you Course by Course Room Service Dinners from any Specialty restaurant. 
Mauibabes

Does the laundry room have hours of operation?  As long as it's quiet after say 10pm, it shouldn't be an issue.  Safe to assume there is a door on the laundry room so we'll have two doors and a narrow hallway between us?

5 minutes ago, DebandBrian said:

Does the laundry room have hours of operation?  As long as it's quiet after say 10pm, it shouldn't be an issue.  Safe to assume there is a door on the laundry room so we'll have two doors and a narrow hallway between us?

yes - there is a door into the laundry and it does have hours of operation with 9 -10PM being closing time

yes it has hours (no idea how rigidly its enforce if at all) 

With your suite door closed and the laundry closed I doubt you will even notice it at any point. Most passengers won't bother using it on a shorter trip. I like doing a small load or two just to allow me to pack a bit lighter.

2 minutes ago, thebsinmiss said:

yes it has hours (no idea how rigidly its enforce if at all) 

With your suite door closed and the laundry closed I doubt you will even notice it at any point. Most passengers won't bother using it on a shorter trip. I like doing a small load or two just to allow me to pack a bit lighter.

The laundry room door is locked during the hours it is closed......

2 hours ago, DebandBrian said:

That's my understanding as well.  In fact, I didn't think anything below PH was even being touched.  I actually do like a tub, which was a plus for us when choosing A2.  But the extra space and brand new "everything" in the PH is so tempting.  My TA is away on vacation but I texted her and she said to go ahead and call Oceania directly .  

Let us know how that works out calling direct in your situation. There are some things you can call direct on and some things that must be done through your TA. I would think changing room categories would fall under TA taking care of it. But you never know till you ask. 

It looks like it's about $230 or so a day to upgrade to that room That's still pretty steep for me, but having said that I will certainly agree that the PH is a superior experience over the Concierge room. You get more room, a walk in closet, a butler, specialty dining in your room any night you want it as well as a few more perks. Since it's your first time I'd say go for it. 

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Let us know how that works out calling direct in your situation. There are some things you can call direct on and some things that must be done through your TA. I would think changing room categories would fall under TA taking care of it. But you never know till you ask. 

It looks like it's about $230 or so a day to upgrade to that room That's still pretty steep for me, but having said that I will certainly agree that the PH is a superior experience over the Concierge room. You get more room, a walk in closet, a butler, specialty dining in your room any night you want it as well as a few more perks. Since it's your first time I'd say go for it. 

You're right.  I called Oceania and I am unable to upgrade my cabin.  My TA is away for another week.  She works independently and doesn't have another advisor covering.  There is only one PH3 cabin available so I'm worried that it will get scooped up.  

And yes, the upgrade is around $230 CAD/ $175 USD per night.  We chose this cruise for the itinerary and having spent some time since looking at other ships, itineraries and sailing dates (already dreaming about our next voyage!), it seems to be an expensive one to begin with.  We are excited to see what the onboard booking offers are.  Friends of ours did that and said they got a good deal!

Edited by DebandBrian

12 minutes ago, DebandBrian said:

You're right.  I called Oceania and I am unable to upgrade my cabin.  My TA is away for another week.  She works independently and doesn't have another advisor covering.  There is only one PH3 cabin available so I'm worried that it will get scooped up.  

And yes, the upgrade is around $230 CAD/ $175 USD per night.  We chose this cruise for the itinerary and having spent some time since looking at other ships, itineraries and sailing dates (already dreaming about our next voyage!), it seems to be an expensive one to begin with.  We are excited to see what the onboard booking offers are.  Friends of ours did that and said they got a good deal!

You are in a excellent position...worst case is you're in an A-cabin on a beautifully refurbed ship 🙂 When your TA returns, have her contact O and explain the situation...maybe they'll honor the sale price (if it goes up), maybe not (then watch the price, although your TA should get price drop notifications). Either way, you'll have a wonderful cabin in which to enjoy your cruise.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for all of your advice and encouragement. My TA came through while on her own vacation and secured me PH3 10020!!  I’m going to surprise my husband with the upgrade for his 60th birthday this weekend! 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, DebandBrian said:

Thanks everyone for all of your advice and encouragement. My TA came through while on her own vacation and secured me PH3 10020!!  I’m going to surprise my husband with the upgrade for his 60th birthday this weekend! 

Enjoy every moment. Happy Birthday to your Husband.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 1:28 PM, ak1004 said:

Sad but true. Confirmed to me by senior crew on Vista in conversation 3 weeks ago. Good news is they are adding the new Aquamor restaurant like on Vista. Great breakfast/lunch option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, edgee said:

Sad but true. Confirmed to me by senior crew on Vista in conversation 3 weeks ago. Good news is they are adding the new Aquamor restaurant like on Vista. Great breakfast/lunch option.

That's fine, not a big deal. We were on Riviera before the refurbishment, it was still in good shape. And even if the showers remain same size, they are still fine (unlike the R ships).

• Like 3

@DebandBrian

Congratulations and that is one heck of a 🎂 present.  You made a great decision and we will all be interested in your Post on this Board when you return from your cruise.  We want to hear the rest of the story. 😇👍

We have done the Great Britain cruise on an R ship and sailed in and out of Southampton on O Class ships and you are definitely in for a treat. So glad your TA came thru for you.

Now you can start planning for your Specialty dinner nights. Definitely read @Sthrngary treatise on maxing your Oceania experience, Gary did an amazing job. Lots of other references to absorb to prepare you for what is to come. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Thanks 1