Norwegians shocking demise of quality on all fronts

JT222

2 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Been to the grocery store lately? There it's called shrinkflation.

Can't have it both ways - either raise prices or cut services to match inflation. Or do the best you can by doing a little of both.

Or I can just pay $14.50 per person per day DSC on MSC and still get my room service breakfast and evening turndown service.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

It's the sense of "entitlement".  "I WANT MORE LOBSTER"....."FOOD IS POOR"....and on and on.  How many lobsters do you order, anyway? How much food can you possibly want? 

On our cruise last year, husband would generally order two, and the server would insist on bringing him three. To be fair, they are quite small.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkrickles1 said:

So, let me get this straight, it's ok for you to attack someone that you perceive is attacking others?

it's de riguer on cruise critic!

11 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Been to the grocery store lately? There it's called shrinkflation.

Can't have it both ways - either raise prices or cut services to match inflation. Or do the best you can by doing a little of both.

Thank goodness some on CC live in the real world and know nothing stays the same.

When I was much younger milk cost $.25 a half gallon. Anybody been to the store recently.

If you live in the real world what is happening on cruise ships is happening to businesses you interact with everyday…..cut quality and/or service, raise prices some….try to strike a happy medium as not to inflame you customer too much!

Just now, cwn said:

try to strike a happy medium as not to inflame you customer too much!

how is that working for NCL?

that's what gets discussed here on the daily.

have they gone too far? have they alienated their core customers while not bringing in enough new customers to take their place?

i'd say opinions are decidedly mixed here in this forum.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Maybe I am just too entitled, but NCL keeps raising their DSC (now up to $20 per person per day) and cutting hotel services, like free room service breakfast delivery and evening turn-down service. To me, that is a "demise of quality," especially because I am expected to continually pay more and more for less and less.

Jamie…we’ve met and sailed together.  I have the utmost respect for you.  

We just have different cruise objectives.  I don’t spend much time in my cabin other than to sleep, shower, have cups of coffee on my balcony in the a.m. to start the day overlooking the water or port.  And, to have nightcaps on the balcony reviewing my day!

In between?  I’m rarely in the cabin.  I will request extra towels in case I need to “reshower” if I’m sweaty because of excursions.

Turn down is another situation where it doesn’t mean much to me, nor are towel animals.

Our focus is just different.  

I sincerely hope our paths cross again on a ship!

43 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Or I can just pay $14.50 per person per day DSC on MSC and still get my room service breakfast and evening turndown service.

Then by all means stay on MSC

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, UKstages said:

have they gone too far? have they alienated their core customers while not bringing in enough new customers to take their place?

Well the last time we sailed with NCL was a Holly Land cruise in 1996…it was a wonderful cruise. We are doing a btob on the Prima soon because the new ship sounds so nice and convenient for us. Other people must think so also because the ship is sailing full.

We have sailed on mostly smaller ships and done land vacations since our last NCL cruise,. I don’t expect small Regent or large Cunard’s Queen’s Grill service and food for the price on Prima but more in line with CarnIval.and RCL service and food. We sail on those mass market lines because they sail from our home port, our grands like the shipsi and it is such an easy holiday for a reasonable price. We will soon see….if I want an extra lobster tail I will just pay for it …nothing stays the same.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

We just have different cruise objectives.  I don’t spend much time in my cabin other than to sleep, shower, have cups of coffee on my balcony in the a.m. to start the day overlooking the water or port.  And, to have nightcaps on the balcony reviewing my day!

In between?  I’m rarely in the cabin.  I will request extra towels in case I need to “reshower” if I’m sweaty because of excursions.

Turn down is another situation where it doesn’t mean much to me, nor are towel animals.

Our focus is just different.  

Same here. I usually told my steward not to bother with nightly turndown - not necessary.

A cold continental breakfast was never something I utilized, but then I'm not a coffee drinker. I have no issues paying to have an omelet delivered to my room in the morning if that's my choice. I'd much prefer to pay for those services I use, over an increase in cruise fare.

As to MSC, well since they don't offer much in the way of itineraries that interest me, I won't be trying them soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well the "downgrading" of NCL has us looking at other options.  We are Diamond Latitudes (very close to Ambassador) and we have two MSC cruises booked. We also have two NCL's booked and are hoping to not find even further degradation of the "product".

• Like 2

Jamie, The nickel and dime thing. NCL will probably at some point allow you to pay for the turndown service. Thieves. We found the coffee on MSC to be good. Had room service delivered on the Magnifica. As you do, I like the turndown service. Get rid of afternoon dirty towels and have the bed freshened up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Maybe I am just too entitled, but NCL keeps raising their DSC (now up to $20 per person per day) and cutting hotel services, like free room service breakfast delivery and evening turn-down service. To me, that is a "demise of quality," especially because I am expected to continually pay more and more for less and less.

It's called inflation.  NCL costs are going  up.   Something will have to give.  All in all, this means paying more for less.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Would a discussion with the laundry manager about the latest detergents be more up your alley?

Of course not.  That wouldn't be interesting either.  Short of dining with the Captain, I doubt I would find any such foolishness interesting.  I am Sapphire and gladly pass on each and every opportunity.  If others find them to be "fun," knock yourselves out!  You can have my seat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I get it.  But how much is their drink package?  How many Specialty Dinners do you get?

3 hours ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Jamie, The nickel and dime thing. NCL will probably at some point allow you to pay for the turndown service. Thieves. We found the coffee on MSC to be good. Had room service delivered on the Magnifica. As you do, I like the turndown service. Get rid of afternoon dirty towels and have the bed freshened up.

Nickel and Dime?  Compared to which other cruise line?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

I get it.  But how much is their drink package?  How many Specialty Dinners do you get?

I only get one specialty dinner, but their MDR is better than NCL so that isn't as much of an issue. Plus $650 OBC covers a lot of specialty dinners. Drink package is included, no tacked on gratituities for it, and no $1.20 upcharge for Bailey's in my included fancy coffees....

My husband and I are booked in 7-day balcony out of NYC with drinks and *unlimited* wifi for a total of $1357 in October....

Breakaway out of NYC that same week is over $3000 for a balcony and "Free" at Sea.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, UKstages said:

Perhaps....but the forum doesn't dictate how many people are still buying cruises.  Vote with your wallet.  If NCL has no problem getting people to cruise with them, all the online complaints don't mean much.

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Nickel and Dime?  Compared to which other cruise line?

I really get confused by the phrase "Nickel and Dime".

Nickel and Dime is when you are FORCED to pay for something that you didn't realize or was hidden from you.

If it's an OPTIONAL service, you aren't being nickle'd an dime'd.  Is booking a massage NCL Nickle and diming you?  I find people just use this phrase to dramatically complain that they are not being treated like the special little people they think they are.  I find similar phrases like "a slap in the face!" to often be used as well.   

NCL is not Nickle and Diming on specialty restaurants.  You can eat for free.  If you want the xtra service you pay for it?  But it's still optional.  I just don't get some people on this forum.

• Like 1

I only get one specialty dinner, but their MDR is better than NCL so that isn't as much of an issue. Plus $650 OBC covers a lot of specialty dinners. Drink package is included, no tacked on gratituities for it, and no $1.20 upcharge for Bailey's in my included fancy coffees....

My husband and I are booked in 7-day balcony out of NYC with drinks and *unlimited* wifi for a total of $1357 in October....

Breakaway out of NYC that same week is over $3000 for a balcony and "Free" at Sea.

It sounds to me then that you have found the cruise line that matches your interests and wallet.  I am happy for you.  That's what we're all trying to do.

So...why are you on the NCL forum?  Honest curiosity.  If NCL is not for you anymore (which is totally valid), why are you here?

7 hours ago, LongIsland-Cruiser said:

Nickel and Dime is when you are FORCED to pay for something that you didn't realize or was hidden from you.

That's your interpretation of the phrase.  My interpretation is wider and includes:

• Things that used to be free but now you have to pay for 
  • Things that used to be offered but aren't offered at all
  • Things that used to be offered but have been replaced by something cheaper

Nickel and diming can occur on both sides of the ledger - NCL getting additional monies from you, or, NCL saving money by offering you less.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Recently onboard getaway food was okay, nothing was a wow something’s just not right. MDR was average. Specialty 3 Cagney good! Ocean blue yuck. Osheans pub decent American dinner okay 

Buffet to be avoided. So we actually lost weight. Took stairs. Dancing with 20,000 steps every day and night. 2 comics see em once and done. But the live music was amazing Latin duo in mojitos bar and dancing with some folks who we enjoyed on previous cruise was priceless. Piano guy did country music and line dancing to him. Cutterz band was outstanding with reggae and rock. Even dj was great. So this is why we still love NCL. Plus the excellent activities staff with Alex Stenko, theme parties in Bliss lounge and spice H20.

great times

• Like 2