what are vista ships and excel ships?

nancy1031

Magic is a Dream Class ship. The 3 most recent classes starting around 2010 are Dream (Dream, Breeze, Magic), Vista (Vista, Horizon, Panorama), and Excel (Mardi Gras, Celebration. Jubilee). Each ship in the class is more or less identical to her 'sisters'. They were all built in order without any overlap between the classes.

The Excels hold about 6600, the Vistas about 4000 and the Dreams about 3600.

Older classes still in the fleet are the 2 remaining Fantasy, the 5 Conquests and the 4 Spirits. Our personal favorites are the Spirits. Wonderful modest sized ships.

Technically there's 8 classes when you toss in the Costa ships and Splendor. Here's a good article.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/carnival-cruise-ship-class-guide/

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 7

Thank you for all the info-  when i first cruised on the Festival back in 1982-, Carnival had 4 ships, 2 -7 day cruises- Festivale out of Miami, Tropicale out of LA, 1-4 day cruise- Mardi Gras out of Miami and 1 -3 day cruise- Carnivale out of Miami-  we thought the Festivale was big at 38,000 tons!!! 

58 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Magic is a Dream Class ship. The 3 most recent classes starting around 2010 are Dream (Dream, Breeze, Magic), Vista (Vista, Horizon, Panorama), and Excel (Mardi Gras, Celebration. Jubilee). Each ship in the class is more or less identical to her 'sisters'. They were all built in order without any overlap between the classes.

The Excels hold about 6600, the Vistas about 4000 and the Dreams about 3600.

Older classes still in the fleet are the 2 remaining Fantasy, the 5 Conquests and the 4 Spirits. Our personal favorites are the Spirits. Wonderful modest sized ships.

Technically there's 8 classes when you toss in the Costa ships and Splendor. Here's a good article.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/carnival-cruise-ship-class-guide/

Our favorite is also the Spirit class.   We are going to try to Excel class ( Celebration) next year, just for the experience.   

1 minute ago, SASA13 said:

Our favorite is also the Spirit class.   We are going to try to Excel class ( Celebration) next year, just for the experience.   

We're going to give them a try at some point as well.

• Like 1

i did the Celebration in Oct 23- it was nice- very spread out-didn't feel crowded until the last day when I saw the line of people carrying their luggage off!!!!! The ship is very nice , I had an interior room, deck 11, came with a small fridge-loved the bed- best sleep I'd had in years!!!! Also I did the mdr for dinner and the food was very good- buffet for breakfast was very good as well (french toast and pancakes were awesome!!!) 

4 minutes ago, bstel said:

so why did they lump in the Luminosa with the Spirit class, but not lump in the Venezia/Firenze with the Vista class?

Marketing reasons more or less since Venezia/Firenze were brought in under a joint concept of the Carnival Fun Italian Style, though regardless they are Vista Class ships 

Luminosa joined as a regular Carnival ship, it is technically a Spirit Class but shares similar features of Holland America’s Vista Class. 

On 2/29/2024 at 6:17 PM, SASA13 said:

Our favourite is also the Spirit class, our best cruises have been on Legend and Pride. The only class of ship we've sailed on and didn't like was the Conquest class. 

On 2/29/2024 at 11:09 AM, nancy1031 said:

am on the magic 10-13-204 sailing and am not sure what this ship is listed as- any info is very much appreciated-

Go to YouTube and do a search and you will find more videos and tours of the ships than you can watch in your lifetime.