So overwhelmed, looking for recommendations for how o spend one and a half days in Athens.

Shella73

Hello, looking for suggestions for a full, but laid-back day in Athens for me and my husband, on August 30th and a half day on the 31st. We have to be on a cruise ship in Piraeus by 2 pm on the 31st. I am cross-eyed from trying to plan it on my own. we like food, history, and architecture. We want to see enough to hit the highlights, but we want to be able we saw the city together..not spend the day being so worried about running from place to place on a tight schedule. SO, I guess I am looking for the "Quality over quantity" recommendations.I know everyone's opinion will differ, but it will give me a place to start.

I have a room at Hotel Hera and have arranged my airport pickup and port transfer from them. Other than this I have zero plans, My husband really wants to go inside the Parthenon. Looking to control costs and do it on our own if possible.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shella73 said:

Hello, looking for suggestions for a full, but laid-back day in Athens for me and my husband, on August 30th and a half day on the 31st. We have to be on a cruise ship in Piraeus by 2 pm on the 31st. I am cross-eyed from trying to plan it on my own. we like food, history, and architecture. We want to see enough to hit the highlights, but we want to be able we saw the city together..not spend the day being so worried about running from place to place on a tight schedule. SO, I guess I am looking for the "Quality over quantity" recommendations.I know everyone's opinion will differ, but it will give me a place to start.

I have a room at Hotel Hera and have arranged my airport pickup and port transfer from them. Other than this I have zero plans, My husband really wants to go inside the Parthenon. Looking to control costs and do it on our own if possible.

Thanks for your help.

The Hera is within easy walking distance of the Acropolis, Acropolis museum and the Plaka. You can visit all on your own.

Get your own tickets to the Acropolis. You cannot walk inside the Parthenon, but you can walk all around it. 

• Like 1

We have a similar time frame and are planning to go to the Acropolis and museum, Temple of Zeus, walk around the Plaka and Monastiraki Flea Market, and then also do an e-bike tour of the city at night, which was recommended by someone I know. 

Rick Steves has several self-guided tours laid out in his Athens guidebook (possibly also in his Mediterranean cruise guide book). He does a good job of putting together a route that makes sense and gives you all the info you need to do it on your own. I would recommend that you borrow or buy a copy and use it for planning. 

• Like 1

Following.  We're in the same situation. Has been recommended to us to use arrival day (long flight) to go to the Acropolis Museum and stroll and read at our leisure.  Save the exploring for the next day. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nemo2005 said:

Following.  We're in the same situation. Has been recommended to us to use arrival day (long flight) to go to the Acropolis Museum and stroll and read at our leisure.  Save the exploring for the next day. 

That works. Use the rest of your day to walk around Plaka and have dinner there. Get your tickets to the Acropolis for first admission the next morning.

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing same.. arriving sometime Friday w cruise on Sunday.  I plan to purchased 2 day hop on hop off.. and Friday sit on the bus and do the 'loops', to get an overview....    Saturday I have an early morning tour of Acropolis....   after that, I'll figure out what I want to get off the bus and see 

• Like 1

We are in same situation. We will be operating on 8 hour time difference when we arrive at 8am so trying to be realistic as to what we can handle. I booked a "Combo Acropolis +6 archaeological sites multipass ticket" we can use over both our arrival day and the next full day before our cruise. You need to reserve the time at the Acropolis with an audio tour so I chose 5pm on our arrival day as I've read either go early or go late.  I will second guess this for sure but feel better if we have something booked. Would love to hear what you choose to do.

We are arriving in Athens on Thursday around noon for the cruise that leaves Saturday. For Thursday, we are just going to walk around for a bit and get some food, etc. Staying at the Moxy Athens Central. For Friday, I booked a three hour Athens tuktuk tour that ends at the Acropolis. I purchased Acropolis tickets that coincide with the ending of the tuktuk tour, as that is where it leaves you at. Then going to the Acropolis Museum after that, and then a walk back to the hotel. Nothing on Saturday, except packing for the cruise. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 10:10 PM, zdcatc12 said:

We are arriving in Athens on Thursday around noon for the cruise that leaves Saturday. For Thursday, we are just going to walk around for a bit and get some food, etc. Staying at the Moxy Athens Central. For Friday, I booked a three hour Athens tuktuk tour that ends at the Acropolis. I purchased Acropolis tickets that coincide with the ending of the tuktuk tour, as that is where it leaves you at. Then going to the Acropolis Museum after that, and then a walk back to the hotel. Nothing on Saturday, except packing for the cruise. 

@zdcatc12 Would you please share who you booked the tuktuck tour with?  

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I might suggest is to book a dinner reservation at one of the many rooftop restaurants which look into the Acropolis.  Set it up to arrive pre sunset, but so you will still be there as the sun sets and the Acropolis is then lit up.  Quite an impressive site.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When we were in Athens in 2018, we did a free walking tour of Athens and enjoyed that greatly.  Our guide Adrian was very knowledgeable and we had a few wonderful hours with him.  We stayed at the Angel's Gate and that was a good location.  On cruise day, we used Private Tours Greece for a half day tour to Cape Sounian and then dropped us off at the cruise port in the early afternoon.  Our guide's name was Ellis and he was excellent and very punctual.  Hope this helps