First time in years on NCL, I have some questions

We haven’t cruise NCL in years. We are what I would call experienced cruisers, we cruise three or four times a year…just not on NCL.

Recently we booked a five night on the Breakaway. We don’t usually book short cruises, but the deal was too good to pass up. Can anyone tell us what to expect for the shows on a short cruise? Will they have any main theater productions? If so, will we have to book in advance?

I remember one of the things we didn’t like about NCL is we were always waiting for dining. Is this still an issue?

Are there dressy nights on a five day cruise? I’m hoping all I have to bring for the five night is a roll a board suitcase.

Where does NCL port in Cozumel? Downtown, or in the new port area?

Thanks!

Good morning Birdie16!

I was born and raised in Tucson! Still have family there and return several times a year to check on my mom!

With the 'Free at Sea" program everyone gets specialty dining now so making reservations prior to sailing is very important! Depending on your status depends on when you can do this, typically 120 days before sailing.

You can even make reservations for the MDR's on line!

There will be shows, not sure what they are on the Breakaway, should be shown on your pending cruises on your NCL page or app. Here you will also find dress codes, ports of call, excursions almost everything you need to know!

The Breakaway is huge ship and the first one NCL designed with the outdoor water front which we love unless the weather is bad than the ship can feel very crowded inside.

As for dress up night, it's not required anymore.  There is a dress code for all sit down dining but I have seen everything from glitter and heals on women to cut offs and tank tops.

Sometimes it is enforced and others not so much. We always follow the rules of attire but others don't.

Not sure where the port is in Cozumel, hopefully someone else can answer that for you.

Funny, we were just looking at Canada and The Breakaway for this fall!

Posted (edited)

NCL docks at the downtown pier, so it’s close to shopping and crazy places like Carlos and Charlie’s, etc.  as you exit the pier area you take the escalators upstairs and there is a crosswalk (no need to dodge traffic crossing the street).  You wind up in the open air shopping mall.  If you want a cab or rental car go straight ahead and down the stairs.  Both are in the rear parking lot.

the BA is a great ship and we truly enjoy the waterfront area.  Comfy furniture and a great spot for relaxing and people watching, with plenty of shade.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

NCL has dress up or not nights, so no formal dress requirements. There was a rule that men had to wear long pants, closed toe shoes, and no ball caps in Ocean Blue and Le Bistro (two of the specialty restaurants), but I don't know if that is enforced anymore.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

NCL has dress up or not nights, so no formal dress requirements. There was a rule that men had to wear long pants, closed toe shoes, and no ball caps in Ocean Blue and Le Bistro (two of the specialty restaurants), but I don't know if that is enforced anymore.

On the Epic, in January 2024, the gentleman in the party in front of me was sent back to his cabin to change out of his shorts and put on long pants. I don’t know how often that is enforced but I saw it on that one occasion. 

I've seen men wearing shorts, flip flops, and bb caps turned backwards allowed in and then they tell the next person they have to change clothes! There's no continuity in the rules apparently. I guess it depends on who's seating you or if you're really cute lol.😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, birdie16 said:

Thanks!

Recently we booked a five night on the Breakaway. We don’t usually book short cruises, but the deal was too good to pass up.

Have a wonderful cruise. The Breakaway is a good ship. We, too, have been doing some shorter cruises lately. 

Can anyone tell us what to expect for the shows on a short cruise? Will they have any main theater productions? If so, will we have to book in advance?

Burn the Floor is the main theater show. IF they allow pre-booking, you can do that 21 days prior to departure when you log on at midnight eastern time to complete your on-line check-in. On other nights, there will be a combination of guest performers, the onboard Beatles group, and comedians. 

I remember one of the things we didn’t like about NCL is we were always waiting for dining. Is this still an issue?

If you go at peak times, there will be a short wait. You can make reservations for the MDR (although the vast majority will walk-in). You can go early or late to avoid peak time crowds. 

Are there dressy nights on a five day cruise? I’m hoping all I have to bring for the five night is a roll a board suitcase.

NCL embraces "dress up or not". Shorts are allowed in all dining rooms for all meals except Ocean Blue and Le Bistro where gents are asked to wear long pants (dockers or jeans are fine). There are photographers all around the ship every night if you want to dress up and take that cruise photo. 

Where does NCL port in Cozumel? Downtown, or in the new port area?

NCL docks at Punta Longosta (at the edge of downtown). 

The following is my live post from a 5-day Breakaway to get a peak at a ship. 

NCL really doesn’t have a dress code except for a couple of restaurants, on some ships the largest MDR asks for pants, but I don’t think that’s the case on breakaway.