Why is RC still going to Labadee?

4 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

And People amaze me that they dont understand the impact it would have on local Haitians that make money from tourism if Royal would stop visiting Labadee

If they are cancelling excursions, only allowing staff and guests (so likely no vendors), bringing food from the ship, using ship crew, etc., what tourism money is making it to the average Haitian?  The port fees and whatever other fees RC pays for Labadee likely are going to some government entity which is corrupt so not likely trickling down to the suffering average Haitian citizen.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Tolkmit said:

This is a complete non-sequitur to my post. You want to go on a cruise but not go to Haiti, aka ignore the situation and have fun; but you are criticizing other people who want to go on a cruise and still go to Haiti, aka ignore the situation and have fun. It's completely hypocritical.

If your concern is safety, in the year of sailing to Labadee since the gangs took over most of Port-Au-Prince, there have been no safety issues.

If your concern is taking cruises while supporting Haitians, the ships stopping at Labadee and letting passengers spend at the local vendors is the best option.

If your concern is just doing what is best for Haitians, don't book a cruise at all, just donate to a charity for the island.

I suggest you may want to read recent reports on what is happening there now.  It is hardly safe.

I would like to respond more to this situation on what I think will definitely happen in respect to the US in the next few months and to current residents, and foreign workers but know my post will be deleted.  All I can say is it is definitely an ugly situation there and although Labadee is far, I sincerely hope Royal cancels cruises there until situation gets better.  This is only my opinion after reading and watching.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, prmssk said:

If they are cancelling excursions, only allowing staff and guests (so likely no vendors), bringing food from the ship, using ship crew, etc., what tourism money is making it to the average Haitian?  The port fees and whatever other fees RC pays for Labadee likely are going to some government entity which is corrupt so not likely trickling down to the suffering average Haitian citizen.

Do you have confirmation that they have actually shut down the vendor village area of Labadee? 

Just now, prmssk said:

Except they are allowing vendors. Adventure is there right now.

1 hour ago, karena1 said:

.  We got out there before 8 and did not leave until almost 4.  It was so perfect!  Love Labadee.  

8AM is too late and 4PM too early. Well plan attacks usually take place at dawn or around 

O-dark-thirty. 

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

I suggest you may want to read recent reports on what is happening there now.  It is hardly safe.

I would like to respond more to this situation on what I think will definitely happen in respect to the US in the next few months and to current residents, and foreign workers but know my post will be deleted.  All I can say is it is definitely an ugly situation there and although Labadee is far, I sincerely hope Royal cancels cruises there until situation gets better.  This is only my opinion after reading and watching.

How long do you think Royal should stop porting there? 

And what would constitute the situation getting "better"? 

Transitioning to new government leadership that the Haitian people support will be a lengthy process and will not be resolved anytime soon. But Royal halting sailings will definitely have a negative impact on the workers/vendors of Labadee that rely on tourism.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UNCFanatik said:

Do you have confirmation that they have actually shut down the vendor village area of Labadee? 

No, I’m just seeing RC repeat over and over on X over the last few days that only guests and employees are allowed in. I have a hard time believing the vendors are employees. 

2 minutes ago, Tolkmit said:

Except they are allowing vendors. Adventure is there right now.

I know Adventure is there now but have not seen anyone confirm the vendors are still there. It surprises me a bit if they are based on RC’s statements. 

5 minutes ago, prmssk said:

The only excursions they appear to have cancelled as of now are the wave runner (jet ski) excursions. 

What makes you think they are only allowing ship staff and guests, and not local workers?

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

And I suggest you may want to read the reports from last year of what was happening and compare them to the ones coming out now. You'll find them basically the same.
The government was doing very little. The PM resigning is causing a lot of sensationalist news coverage, and will change how foreign governments interact with Haiti because they no longer have a nominal leader to interact with. But it changes nothing for the security situation in Labadee.

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

The only excursions they appear to have cancelled as of now are the wave runner (jet ski) excursions. 

What makes you think they are only allowing ship staff and guests, and not local workers?

I’ve seen reports of the cancellation of snorkeling, kayaking, boat trips, and others in addition to the jet skis. 

Royal keeps making the statement on X that “Only guests and employees are permitted onsite”.  Whether that means ship staff only, I don’t know but I doubt all the vendors are employees of Royal Caribbean. 

And from past experience, I have seen that the ship’s crew handle a lot on Labadee so I’m not sure how many local employees they actually have. 

3 minutes ago, prmssk said:

I’ve seen reports of the cancellation of snorkeling, kayaking, boat trips, and others in addition to the jet skis. 

Royal keeps making the statement on X that “Only guests and employees are permitted onsite”.  Whether that means ship staff only, I don’t know but I doubt all the vendors are employees of Royal Caribbean. 

And from past experience, I have seen that the ship’s crew handle a lot on Labadee so I’m not sure how many local employees they actually have. 

Royal Caribbean has always used the word "employees" extremely loosely. When they say "employees" what they actually mean is approved personnel.