Budapest Restaurant Suggestions

lightsleeper

We enjoyed Hungarikum Bisztro but I’m not sure how far that is from the Intercontinental.  We stayed at the Four Seasons and it was an easy walk.  We also enjoyed the bistro at FS, Kollázs Bisztro. 

If you have time and are really interested in Hungarian cuisine we took a fascinating culinary tour with a private guide.  Let me know if you want details.

Some may not like my suggestion here but DO NOT waste your money at the New York Cafe.  Go in the door, take a look, but the food is overpriced and the service is horrible.  Way too many tourists - including us - get caught spending far too much money for mediocre food and horrible service.

• Thanks 1

We ate at Menza, at the recommendation of another guest on our tour.  It was excellent and affordable.  What especially worked for us is that I like beef and my wife is a vegetarian.  We both left happy.

We had a recommendation for our Avalon group for the Café Kör. It's quite close to St. Stephen's Basilica and was quite tasty. Just a small place, we ate outside because it was quite warm, but very good. 

Last year we treated ourselves to Stand (not Stand25) which is a Michelin 2 star.  If you're up for a splurge it was an amazing experience.  While the service was formal in its presentation our servers were quite relaxed and interactive with us.  Hungarian food meets Michelin stars.

On 3/14/2024 at 11:45 AM, Daisi said:

We had a recommendation for our Avalon group for the Café Kör. It's quite close to St. Stephen's Basilica and was quite tasty. Just a small place, we ate outside because it was quite warm, but very good. 

It may have been me that made that recommendation...  It is our "go to" place anytime we are in Budapest.  Traditional Hungarian food...  So good. We make sure we eat there anytime we are in Budapest (have been there 4 times at start or end of river cruises.... and would love to go back again!!). 

You really do need reservations as it is quite busy.  It is a small place - and the tables are quite close together - but we have met some interesting people since the tables are so close together. 

Fran

@franski, food was great there, and thanks for the recommendation if it was you. We tend to eat early, so it wasn’t busy, but it is small. The manager or owner came out to sweep the sidewalk while we were eating and talked to us for a while, which was nice, even if there were language barriers. If we ever get back, we will return there.

• Like 1