New rules for wheelchair users

We had a problem when we were boarding Britannia last September. This was before the online system and I filled in and emailed off the required form. I had sent an old form and needed to submit the newer version, which I duly did and informed them at the same time of my mother's allergy. I received a reply acknowledging my mother's allergy, so I know they had received the email.

Come to board in Southampton they denied all knowlegde of her request for assistance, and they were quite nasty, almost accusing us of lying, which upset my mother. She was also given a letter stating that if assistance isn't booked in advance it would be denied. On arrival in our cabin there was another letter with regard to her allergy. 

So somewhere along the way they had lost half of the information! 

I did wonder after the cruise if they had listed my name for assistance instead of my mother's.

I was going to complain on her behalf, but became illl after returning.

I now take a hard copy of any forms that I have email/filled in as proof.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Lainey123 said:

We were very sure that we had provided all the required information in January including the need for evacuation chair. This has been confirmed by P&O  today when my husband finally managed to speak to someone! They said it looks like a clerical error and that he should email via complaints system if he wants to complain.

they also tried to say it was not their issue as the woman we encountered did not work for P&O!!!!!!!

🤯🤯🤯

Since the booking clerk was only basing her decisions on the P&O system errors, I find that answer absolutely ridiculous and would be demanding a high level apology and a massive amount of compensation.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, purplesea said:

We had a problem when we were boarding Britannia last September. This was before the online system and I filled in and emailed off the required form. I had sent an old form and needed to submit the newer version, which I duly did and informed them at the same time of my mother's allergy. I received a reply acknowledging my mother's allergy, so I know they had received the email.

Come to board in Southampton they denied all knowlegde of her request for assistance, and they were quite nasty, almost accusing us of lying, which upset my mother. She was also given a letter stating that if assistance isn't booked in advance it would be denied. On arrival in our cabin there was another letter with regard to her allergy. 

So somewhere along the way they had lost half of the information! 

I did wonder after the cruise if they had listed my name for assistance instead of my mother's.

I was going to complain on her behalf, but became illl after returning.

I now take a hard copy of any forms that I have email/filled in as proof.

We were made to feel the same ! … and given a letter .

it seemed weird at the time that they suddenly changed their mind - but we were very glad they did!!

image.jpg

My mother's letter was more about the terms and conditions. 

If I had had access to the internet in the terminal I would have been able to show/prove to them that the required paperwork had been sent, and the corresponding correspondence.

Since then everything is done online before sailing on 'My P&O'. After that incidence I have printed off the filled in form and taken it with me should there be any discrepancy! Once bitten, twice shy, as they say.

20240430_193441.jpg

The unfortunate problem experienced by @Lainey123 is sadly cropping up fairly regularly now, either on this forum or elsewhere. It is almost always down to the same issue. The ‘Onboard Needs Questionnaire’ has not been completed.

The moral of this story is that you must complete and submit an ‘On Board Needs’ questionnaire for each and every cruise if you have any mobility issues or needs. Booking an accessible cabin is not enough. Mentioning disabilities or mobility aids when you book, or subsequently, is not enough. If you don’t complete the ‘On Board Needs’ questionnaire and you turn up with something like a mobility scooter there is a very high chance that you will be denied boarding.

I don’t wish to appear insensitive, but as someone who has filled in more of these ‘On Board Needs Questionnaires’ than I care to remember, I frankly struggle to see how people can miss this requirement. The number of prompts and reminders are bordering on over the top. 

• Like 6