New rules for wheelchair users

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

I suppose it depends on the definition of a "full-time wheelchair user" (the use in the cabin is an 'or' statement not an 'and' statement).

Do many people take a wheelchair onboard and only occasionally use it?

I took my wheelchair on one cruise to use it for port days. In general, I could manage round the ship with my walking stick and plenty of places to have a rest if necessary. However, my mobility was particularly bad at that point so used the wheelchair to be able to get off the ship and actually see something of the port we were stopped at.

• Like 2

I trust that the same rules are going to be applied to those with baby buggies that are left out in corridors whenever the cabin is occupied.

This is the usual story that the inconsiderate passengers who think that it is their right to leave wheelchairs or buggies outside their cabin spoil it for everyone else who play by the rules.

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, david63 said:

I trust that the same rules are going to be applied to those with baby buggies that are left out in corridors whenever the cabin is occupied.

I have never seen a baby buggy left outside a cabin, but I have seen an awful lot of mobility scooters and wheelchairs.

• Like 1

Right now on Iona I have not seen either a buggy or a wheelchair left outside the cabin. However when we were on in January someone 3 doors down from us left an electric wheelchair outside all the time. 

22 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, I would think so too, especially given how far out cruises are sold and if the change is effective from April.

The extract you have posted makes it clear that the need for an accessible cabin would only apply to a manual wheelchair user if they need to use it to move around within the cabin. If this is not the case (which I believe may be @sandancer situation) then an accessible cabin is not required. That would not be a policy change as far as I know.

Might be worth a repeat visit to the future cruise desk with the extract from the website, stressing that the wheelchair is not needed within the cabin. 

So I decided to go back and double check but as today is the last day there were around 15 people in front of us I abandoned the idea. Better get on with the packing. 

On our recent Iona cruise we didn't see any pushchairs and the like outside cabins on our deck.  Outside one balcony cabin a few doors down from us there was always an unfolded 'Mobility at Sea' power chair outside. The location was an elbow in the corridor so it was really wide at that point and did not impact on anyone. However, if the same thing occurred on a regular corridor, and it impeded my wife's progress and safety, rest assured it would have been moved.

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

Right now on Iona I have not seen either a buggy or a wheelchair left outside the cabin. However when we were on in January someone 3 doors down from us left an electric wheelchair outside all the time. 

It should have been reported to the safety officer.

Mobility scooters left in corridors are not only an obstruction but also a potential fire hazard. 

On one cruise I was on a passenger was not just leaving their scooter in the corridor but was actually charging it in the corridor. I therefore brought it to the attention of the safety officer.

Storing mobility scooters on escape routes is an absolute no no on land, and an even bigger no no at sea. As for charging on an escape route!

It does raise the question as to why this was allowed to occur in the first place. What sort of fire awareness training is provided to the crew and how are corridor escape routes monitored.

• Like 9

I met a rather upset passenger, aggrieved about a knock on her cabin door the first night, with a crew member telling her that the rollator had to be kept in the cabin, not in the cabin doorway.

She said, "but it's not in anyone's way" and got the answer, "it will be if there's an emergency".

• Like 14

A H& manager I know would have removed items firsts and asked questions later, he was a former fireman who has repeatedly said that obstructions in corridors has be a hazard he has experienced numerous times in his career. Hence why he removed thing and then tells the person responsible about it afterwards. 

• Like 4

Anything left in any corridor (possible exception being the cabin steward's trolleys!) should be removed and a several hundred pound fee be required to have it returned to the cabin.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, david63 said:

Anything left in any corridor (possible exception being the cabin steward's trolleys!) should be removed and a several hundred pound fee be required to have it returned to the cabin.

Not quite the same but a number of well known stores have been heavily fined in recent years for allowing items to obstruct fire escape routes. On cruise ships the corridors are designated escape routes, thus Cruise Ship operators should ensure that these are kept free of obstructions as much as possible or risk action from the appropriate marine authorities. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, david63 said:

Trolleys are only to be left out if the Steward is in attendance. If the Steward moves away from their allocation of cabins/immediate stores then they are supposed to put the trolley away.

• Thanks 2

I understand that the changes relate to evacuation in an emergency.

If someone is a full time wheelchair user then it’s assumed by the regulations that an evacuation chair will be necessary. The number of evacuation chairs is calculated based upon the number of fully accessible cabins. This is also limited by the allocation of crew to each stairwell. Two persons are typically allocated to an evacuation chair.

Additionally, I believe it’s now a requirement that mobility scooters are booked into a fully accessible cabin rather than just P&O policy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2024 at 12:25 PM, 9265359 said:

I have never seen a baby buggy left outside a cabin, but I have seen an awful lot of mobility scooters and wheelchairs.

On our recent Britannia cruise there was often a buggy parked outside a cabin near us.  It was by one of those little kinks in the corridor you get on Riviera deck so did not get in anyone’s way.

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Trolleys are only to be left out if the Steward is in attendance. If the Steward moves away from their allocation of cabins/immediate stores then they are supposed to put the trolley away.

Perhaps they are "supposed" to put the trolleys away but they don't always. Many a time I have been walking along corridors on ships and there are trolleys and no sign of any cabin steward.

• Like 3

On 3/15/2024 at 10:14 AM, Josy1953 said:

Some people do have health issues that necessitate using their wheelchairs on someday but not others depending how they feel.  I worked with a man who had MS and some days he could manage with a walking stick or crutches but other days he used a wheelchair, as the disease progressed he had to use the wheelchair more frequently.

Just because you can't see them doesn't mean that they are not there - in a cabin, in a bathroom, or collecting towels from the local storage area. Sometimes when they have their break, they agree with the neighbouring steward to look out for their trolley/cart too.

• Like 3

I need a wheelchair or mobility scooter for long distances on shore but rarely need it on board the ship as there are plenty of places to sit between venues. I use an elbow crutch on the ship and plan my route around the ship to make sure that I know where I can rest for a few minutes. I can move around in the cabin without using any aids so, for that reason, I don’t need an accessible cabin. I have always stored my folding wheelchair in the cabin and completely understand the danger of leaving wheelchairs/scooters in the hallways. 

I do feel that the people who make decisions for those of us who are mobility impaired and people with other disabilities are probably young and have little personal experience of what we really need despite having the best intentions. I also know that we, who have a disability, should follow the rules and take responsibility for our actions but I wish the cruise lines would assess each case individually to ascertain whether a particular cabin is suitable for our needs rather than having a ‘blanket’ rule with no consideration for the degrees of disability…….rant over!!

• Like 9