CPAC extension cord/water on QM2

Bejay219

New to Cunard, we will be sailing the Transatlantic in June, Princess Grill. My husband uses a CPAP machine, when looking at our Onboard Questions it says they do not provide Distilled water and you need to bring a 5 meters (15 ft.) extension cord. Every cruise line we have been on will not let you bring extension cords. We are traveling on 2 different cruielines for 7 weeks before, really don't want to drag around the cord. We will be embarking in Southampton, are there stores nearby that sell these things? 

You cannot bring SURGE-PROTECTED extension cords. My husband uses a CPAP also, and QM2 is our favorite ship. If we recall correctly, they used to provide distilled water at no charge. On our last TA, last December, we were able to get it on board, but we may have had to pay a few dollars for it. The plain extension cord we pack is no problem, but we’ve never needed one THAT long!

30 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

You cannot bring SURGE-PROTECTED extension cords. My husband uses a CPAP also, and QM2 is our favorite ship. If we recall correctly, they used to provide distilled water at no charge. On our last TA, last December, we were able to get it on board, but we may have had to pay a few dollars for it. The plain extension cord we pack is no problem, but we’ve never needed one THAT long!

Thank you, it's all a bit confusing! We don't mind paying for it, but the information on Cunard site is very clear they don't supply it and 15 ft of extension cord? 

You state that you are travelling in Princess Grill. Going by the many photos and videos that are available online, I think all the Princess Grill cabins on QM2 are the same layout, or the mirror of that. The dressing table plugs are no more than 2 metres from the bedside cabinet on one side of the bed. Provided the user of the machine can sleep on the dressing table side of the bed the cord wouldn't need to be longer than that.

In Britannia the dressing table sockets can be much further than that, probably over 3 metres for balcony and possibly up to 5 for ocean view or inside.

There must be sockets somewhere behind the bedside cabinets but I've not investigated them and you might need some sort of adaptor to continue using the bedside lights.

9 hours ago, D&N said:

You state that you are travelling in Princess Grill. Going by the many photos and videos that are available online, I think all the Princess Grill cabins on QM2 are the same layout, or the mirror of that. The dressing table plugs are no more than 2 metres from the bedside cabinet on one side of the bed. Provided the user of the machine can sleep on the dressing table side of the bed the cord wouldn't need to be longer than that.

In Britannia the dressing table sockets can be much further than that, probably over 3 metres for balcony and possibly up to 5 for ocean view or inside.

There must be sockets somewhere behind the bedside cabinets but I've not investigated them and you might need some sort of adaptor to continue using the bedside lights.

Thank you, that is helpful, we thought a 15 ft. cord was a bit too much. 

Some of the plans and photos of Oceanview cabins show the beds and bedside cabinets against the hull wall under the window or porthole. In those cabins it will be a much greater distance to the desktop sockets. Probably the 2 metre length of the bed plus the length of a sofa. For anyone that doesn't know the exact layout of their cabin it might be sensible to follow Cunard's advice.

I also use a CPAP, and will be sailing QM2 in QG this autumn from NYC.  Was told by US Cunard phone rep of the new policy that I must bring my own distilled water onboard.  Obviously I will be working with the hotel concierge to locate a purchase location before embarkation.  Disappointed, as other cruise lines furnish it.  

I took use a CPAP and my go to cruise line has a socket by the bed. Extension lead is no problem but I'm not going to lug bottles of distilled water. I'm going to just boil a kettle and let it cool down

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JoJo1947 said:

I took use a CPAP and my go to cruise line has a socket by the bed. Extension lead is no problem but I'm not going to lug bottles of distilled water. I'm going to just boil a kettle and let it cool down

I know nothing about this, but boiling water does not distill it.

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I know nothing about this, but boiling water does not distill it.

Correct, but the leaflet that we give out to patients on NHS CPAPs states that ambient temperature water that was previously boiled can be used if distilled water is not available. CPAPs aren't as frequently prescribed in the UK compared to the USA so it's tricky getting hold of distilled (as opposed to de-ionised) water.  The reason for using distilled water in CPAPs is 2 fold:

- to ensure no pathogens in the water bearing in mind the user is likely to have multiple health problems including reduced immunity

- to prevent the build up of scale and other impurities reducing the life-span of the CPAP machinery.

Boiled water deals with point 1 fairly effectively, and reduces point 2, which can be further reduced by careful and regular washing out of the top container. I would say that's ok for a few weeks if there is a good run of distilled water before and afterwards.

De-ionised water is available in larger Tesco stores at £1.50 for 2.5 litres.

• Thanks 2