Wine in Q4 Queens Grill cabin

7 minutes ago, ratflinger said:

We wanted Hendricks and I tipped the butler up front, a bottle of Hendricks magically appeared and was refreshed in the middle of the journey.  As long as you are reasonable and friendly the butler will try to help.

I think you are right. So why did you tip him, instead of sticking to being reasonable and friendly? Seems like a bribe to me.

28 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think you are right. So why did you tip him, instead of sticking to being reasonable and friendly? Seems like a bribe to me.

It's a matter of culture @ratfinger is from USA, where tipping over and above included/auto gratuities is de rigeur ,so tipping before is a natural next step. Completely different to British or European approach

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

It's a matter of culture @ratfinger is from USA, where tipping over and above included/auto gratuities is de rigeur ,so tipping before is a natural next step. Completely different to British or European approach

Well, I sincerely hope he doesn’t try that approach in Japan or somewhere where tipping may be considered rude. A Cunard ship is not a suburb of New York, is it?😀

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Quite right.

I have no issue with anyone tipping after excellent service etc but giving any sort of gratuity prior to service rendered is a form of bribery in my book and just not 'done' or needed. Rather insulting in a way to presume 'if I give you this, you can get me that' when it was probably available anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

A Cunard ship is not a suburb of New York, is it?😀

I like going on Cunard ships to get away from the above scenario! A TIP is “To Insure Performance” and shouldn’t be a bribe, as you say. 
I’ve seen NYC steakhouse dinner hosts whip out a wad of cash and pay the M’D to get bigger pours of wine or an extra dessert “on the house”. Being a “big shot” like that is not my style. I strongly support and respect the crew and will tip generously after the voyage is over. Yes, not everyone who tips beforehand is a NY big shot…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NE John said:

A TIP is “To Insure Performance” and shouldn’t be a bribe,

This is one of these American v English use of terminology.

Using the word "insure" is correct if the intention is to protect against something but in English we would use the word "ensure" to make sure that something happens

"Insure means 'protect against loss, damage, or injury' or 'provide or obtain insurance on'. Ensure means 'make certain that something will occur"

4 hours ago, ratflinger said:

We wanted Hendricks and I tipped the butler up front, a bottle of Hendricks magically appeared and was refreshed in the middle of the journey.  As long as you are reasonable and friendly the butler will try to help.

thank you

10 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

You can try, but don’t be at all surprised if the answer is 'sorry, here’s the list' to pricey bottles.

Folk have often asked for similar products but pricey bottles aren’t usually accommodated.

This was the list we had last year on QV.

8BF808AE-CE44-4941-8A28-3EE9DEFA0172.thumb.jpeg.aa8a7c18593fa4bbd91db9361b3d96d2.jpeg

thanks for posting

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, david63 said:

This is one of these American v English use of terminology.

Using the word "insure" is correct if the intention is to protect against something but in English we would use the word "ensure" to make sure that something happens

"Insure means 'protect against loss, damage, or injury' or 'provide or obtain insurance on'. Ensure means 'make certain that something will occur"

Thank you for pointing that nuance out. The British angle on this wording makes more sense but then Tips would be Teps??…. Another variation from an American site: TIPS: “To Insure Prompt Service”

Edited by NE John

15 minutes ago, NE John said:

Thank you for pointing that nuance out. The British angle on this wording makes more sense but then Tips would be Teps??…. Another variation from an American site: TIPS: “To Insure Prompt Service”

Exactly, it was a show of good faith.

9 minutes ago, ratflinger said:

Exactly, it was a show of good faith.

True. It seems the big debate on these (and other CC boards) is whether to tip before +/or after.