Comparison of Azamara to Silversea

Host Jazzbeau

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Would much rather be in a "sought after" position on a corner of the stern, with a wraparound veranda and a 270 degree view.

Tried Regent for total of seven weeks and also Crystal.  If that's "luxury," you can have it.  Better liquor, I suppose, but cool, impersonal service, invisible officers, and too many entitled, stuffy passengers.  No thanks.  Azamara and Windstar for me.

Aft view is my first go to cabin/suite if available. 

RE: Regent

I must have been on the three wrong ships.  I didn't meet any entitled, stuffy passengers and my service was efficient and personable. Even from the Compass Rose hostess on the first sailing who I ran into on our third one after she was promoted because she was so good at service.

Sometimes people put out vibes that cause staff to be impersonal as if that's what is expected of them.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Aft view is my first go to cabin/suite if available. 

RE: Regent

I must have been on the three wrong ships.  I didn't meet any entitled, stuffy passengers and my service was efficient and personable. Even from the Compass Rose hostess on the first sailing who I ran into on our third one after she was promoted because she was so good at service.

Sometimes people put out vibes that cause staff to be impersonal as if that's what is expected of them.

If you are referring to me with that last statement, I will tell you that my wife and I have always been treated personally and warmly on our 48 Azamara cruises and 10 Windstar cruises, by stateroom stewards up to captains.  We treat them all as friends, and want to be treated the same by them.

My favorite example of a stuffy, smug Regent passenger was the response he gave when I asked why he cruises on Regent:  "I can afford Regent.  Why would I cruise with anyone else?"  That said, I'm pleased that you found Regent to your liking.

49 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

If you are referring to me with that last statement, I will tell you that my wife and I have always been treated personally and warmly on our 48 Azamara cruises and 10 Windstar cruises, by stateroom stewards up to captains.  We treat them all as friends, and want to be treated the same by them.

My favorite example of a stuffy, smug Regent passenger was the response he gave when I asked why he cruises on Regent:  "I can afford Regent.  Why would I cruise with anyone else?"  That said, I'm pleased that you found Regent to your liking.

To which the correct answer is yes indeed I can afford a private yacht but there are other experiences I prefer better 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's often mentioned as a truism that Cruise Critic is a very small slice of cruise passengers, so therefore it's not a good idea to judge a cruise line by its CC forum – but nevertheless I must say I have never seriously considered Regent because of the cattiness of that forum.  [Note: I am not talking about anyone posting on this thread, and I haven't read that forum in some time]

I have a theory that the devotées of Luxury cruise lines are actually less happy than those of us who sail on Premium lines.  I read so many 'luxury' posts that reek of 'nothing is ever good enough' – and on Regent there was [I haven't read it lately] so much Oceania-bashing, at a time when most reports were that Oceania had better food, because it was important to certain people to stress that Regent is 'Luxury' while Oceania is 'only Premium.'  That was a huge turn-off.

I don't care how a cruise line is rated – and there is no industry standard about stars or classes anyway.  After 34 cruises on 15 different lines [with 5 more booked, and 1 new line (Windstar)], I know pretty much what I'm looking for:  (1) an interesting in-depth itinerary; (2) very good food and service; (3) a veranda cabin [for the light more than lying about on it] with enough room to walk past the bed.  I get that reliably on Azamara and Noble Caledonia, and I expect to get it on Windstar next January [French balcony but good enough]  Can I hope to get it on my two upcoming Silversea cruises? – recent reports are not reassuring, but I booked before the massive price increases last month so the fares still promise decent value and one can hope they will 'right their ship.'

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

I wasn't. It was a generalized statement but if the shoe fits.... 😁

I've also encountered some of that type of person on Azamara, Oceania and in Celebrity's Retreat.  I don't stereotype all their passengers by the actions of a few.  Everyone has their own perspective of the boxes they want ticked and the reasons they prefer different cruise lines.  To me, it's about the sailing enjoyment as my preferred vacation.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 2

I have sailed both Silversea and Azamara, and like them both.  As a solo cruiser, I found that on Silversea it was easy to meet new people in the lounges as well as making up tables for dinner.  As a solo, I also like that shore excursions are included.  However, Silversea has now priced itself well outside my budget.

I went to SS because I enjoyed the size of Azamara ships.  Azamara still remains my favourite, even with smaller cabins and fewer lounge areas.  I’ll just budget in shore excursions in future, although many private excursions are booked with the CC roll call group.  I’ve always met people around the ship and at trivia, and enjoy the AZ ambience.  I do like to dress up sometimes, and feel quite comfortable wearing a cocktail dress some evenings on AZ.  I’m never the only one, either!

• Like 4