Comparison of Azamara to Silversea

Host Jazzbeau

I just posted a review of our cruise on Silver Whisper, Jan. 19–Feb. 14 (Auckland to Sydney) with comparisons to our most recent Azamara cruise (on Journey in 2022):

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8

Thanks for the review. We are Azamara fans.. but discovered that we were in the same time you were on a land trip. Did a lot of the same things you did. Fun trip. Did you try the hokey poky ice cream? 

2 minutes ago, harrodsfan said:

Thanks for the review. We are Azamara fans.. but discovered that we were in the same time you were on a land trip. Did a lot of the same things you did. Fun trip. Did you try the hokey poky ice cream? 

No – was that at Miann?  We tend to stick to our usual favorites: coffee for DW [when we can find it – why is that so hard?], salted caramel or pistachio for me.

7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

No – was that at Miann?  We tend to stick to our usual favorites: coffee for DW [when we can find it – why is that so hard?], salted caramel or pistachio for me.

No.. I meant at Gelato on the rocks.. in Sydney. Loved that place.  Loved Sydney. Spent 10 days there. Lots to do and see. Two Sydney theater co plays, like you the art museum and zoo. Manley and Bondi beach. Wine tasting tour. Paddington and paddy markets, fabulous Ramses 2 exhibit at the museum. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, harrodsfan said:

No.. I meant at Gelato on the rocks.. in Sydney. Loved that place.  Loved Sydney. Spent 10 days there. Lots to do and see. Two Sydney theater co plays, like you the art museum and zoo. Manley and Bondi beach. Wine tasting tour. Paddington and paddy markets, fabulous Ramses 2 exhibit at the museum. 

Ah yes, Gelato on the Rocks – great place!  And they always had coffee, so DW never considered anything else!  Good pistachio too.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for an excellent review.  It hit all the points someone who hasn't sailed Silversea might like to know. The follow up with extensive details and pictures were unmatched from many blogs. The itinerary was incredible.

I am a little confused though.  I've thought that Azamara falls into the Premium cruise line category while Silversea and Regent occupy the Luxury category.  I haven't sailed Silversea yet but was interested in finding something with them.  Now I'm not so sure I would want to after having sailed Regent a few times and reading your review.  I would have expected Silversea to be at a higher quality level and price point.

However food is also an important part of cruising to me.  That's why I was surprised when you said you "went on this cruise thinking 'all Silversea has to be is Azamara with better ships.'  At the end of the cruise, I’m not sure it hit that level.  Certain things were better than Azamara, but others were worse." You went with lower expectations and they still missed the mark in an important aspect.

Although Silversea appears to be an overall good cruise line from your review, the takeaway for me is a confirmation that my three upcoming Azamara cruises are a good value choice for quality. Thank you again for your viewpoints.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2024 at 5:48 AM, ChucktownSteve said:

I am a little confused though.  I've thought that Azamara falls into the Premium cruise line category while Silversea and Regent occupy the Luxury category.

Yes, that's what I thought too.  Silversea fits the 'luxury' category because it is all-inclusive, but I don't think that's a good way to rank cruise lines.  For example Regent is all inclusive and Oceania (traditionally) wasn't, but Oceania was known for better food and as I compare the two lines Oceania has more interesting itineraries.  I consider Regent all-inclusive luxury and Oceania à la carte luxury, and I think we come out ahead only paying for the things we value.

So it was a surprise and a disappointment to find that Silversea isn't really (IMO) more luxurious than Azamara.  Add to that: yesterday Silversea did a massive reorganization of their pricing schemes (made the categories easier to understand, so good so far) but also raised their prices dramatically across the board (without promising to raise quality).  So the Silversea value proposition is now way below Azamara as far as I am concerned.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for this, I found it interesting. We were on the Silver Whisper (our only time on SS) in 2011, 5 years before we started cruising on AZ. We too liked the size of the Silver Whisper, which is one of the aspects that encouraged us to look at AZ. But I can’t say that we thought SS was much better than AZ, although the larger veranda staterooms was a plus. I am wondering how you found the ambience and other guests on SS. We definitely thought SS was more formal and the guests less friendly than on AZ and that’s one of the reasons SS hasn’t been appealing to repeat. But then again, I am talking about 13 years ago so would love your thoughts on that. We like the casual and relaxed vibe of AZ. I don’t think we’d sail the Silver Whisper again, but some of the newer ships like Silver Moon look incredible.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, AllisonJames said:

I am wondering how you found the ambience and other guests on SS. We definitely thought SS was more formal and the guests less friendly than on AZ and that’s one of the reasons SS hasn’t been appealing to repeat. But then again, I am talking about 13 years ago so would love your thoughts on that. We like the casual and relaxed vibe of AZ. I don’t think we’d sail the Silver Whisper again, but some of the newer ships like Silver Moon look incredible.

I agree, SS feels more formal in general than AZ and we met fewer people and dined alone more than on any other cruise.  [We did meet some nice people and had fun dining with them, but it seemed harder to meet people and harder to link up for dinner.]  I'm wondering whether the new relaxed dress code will lead to a more relaxed group of passengers – some of the 'tuxedo squad' are threatening to jump ship, but we know how that goes 😉]

Newly announced Silversea dress codes:

FLYER_THE_LUXURY_OF_CHOICE_GBL_SA2401197592%20%288%29.pdf

I am finding that the friendliness of passengers on Azamara is one of the most (only?) compelling reasons to keep cruising with them.  I would say it is lucky for the corporation that this culture exists and seems to continue despite their penny pinching, raising prices of specialty dining and drink passages, two -tiering internet,  and stratification of passengers when calling for tenders, and events by suite class , e.g. deck #.  The egalitarian nature of Azamara has always been a big draw, and what has created this friendly on board culture.  I hope they understand what the moves they are making can disrupt this balance.  My opinion after a month on board the Onward World Journey. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2024 at 9:23 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I agree, SS feels more formal in general than AZ and we met fewer people and dined alone more than on any other cruise.  [We did meet some nice people and had fun dining with them, but it seemed harder to meet people and harder to link up for dinner.]  I'm wondering whether the new relaxed dress code will lead to a more relaxed group of passengers – some of the 'tuxedo squad' are threatening to jump ship, but we know how that goes 😉]

Newly announced Silversea dress codes:

FLYER_THE_LUXURY_OF_CHOICE_GBL_SA2401197592%20%288%29.pdf 830.88 kB · 22 downloads

I didn’t see anything about dress codes but the cancellation penalty for voyage only is draconian.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2024 at 8:47 PM, java spot said:

I am finding that the friendliness of passengers on Azamara is one of the most (only?) compelling reasons to keep cruising with them.  ...  The egalitarian nature of Azamara has always been a big draw, and what has created this friendly on board culture.  

On 3/22/2024 at 5:29 AM, KirkNC said:

Thanks, as one who won’t pick a line if it has formal nights, this could open another venue.

You both described two great reasons why I like Azamara:   A sense of camaraderie, perhaps encouraged by the egalitarian nature described by @java spot, and no formal nights.

I love the sense of casual ease on board, no need to show off wealth.  It seems to relax attitudes, even if folks disembark, fly home, and get into their gucci clothes and expensive vehicles!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the superb review Host JB. We did many of the same things. I’m looking forward to doing my own Silversea vs Azamara next January although from the other angle. I Can’t wait to try Az and I’m sure, as (almost) always I’ll have a ball. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Many thanks for the superb review Host JB. We did many of the same things. I’m looking forward to doing my own Silversea vs Azamara next January although from the other angle. I Can’t wait to try Az and I’m sure, as (almost) always I’ll have a ball. 

Just stubbled on this topic thread from a "silversea" phrase search.

My takeaway from scanning this topic is that AZ ships have very small cabins and balconies cf. SS. And from watching some recent YT vlogger's video reviews content who have been on AZ in last couple of years isn't very complementary (reception staff, entertainment, maintenance and bathroom size in particular) eg Emma! 

So whilst the AZ proposition is similar on the face of it, it strikes me to be the lower end of the 'luxury' market, and certainly not 'Ultra Luxury' that YT'r Gary Bembridge often references. 

6 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Pricing a 22 night sailing on both Silver Wisper and Azamara Quest in Jan 2026 in south America, while looking at the lowest category available, SS is $668 pp/pn and AZ is $258 pp/pn.  My analogy would be comparing Filet to Ribeye steak

To be fairer to Silversea, I don't sail in Azamara Insides or even Verandas – so my price comparison is to a Club Continent (CC mini suite, 266sf plus 60sf veranda = 326 sf) or (in the case of the 2022 cruise) a Club World Owners Suite (CW true one-bedroom suite, 560sf plus huge 233sf veranda = 793sf).  On Silver Whisper we had a Deluxe Veranda (mini suite, 313sf plus 60sf veranda = 345 sf). 

The DV didn't feel any more spacious than a CC, so I think it's fair to compare Azamara CC pricing to Silversea.  Looking at the cruise you mention, a CC is 65% more than the lowest category, which would still be far below the cost of the SS comparison (enough to cover your shore excursion costs – and specialty restaurants are included for CC and above).  So all in, Azamara and Silversea would cost about the same – and based on my comparison would provide about the same experience.  Given that choice, I would book Azamara.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

To be fairer to Silversea, I don't sail in Azamara Insides or even Verandas – so my price comparison is to a Club Continent (CC mini suite, 266sf plus 60sf veranda = 326 sf) or (in the case of the 2022 cruise) a Club World Owners Suite (CW true one-bedroom suite, 560sf plus huge 233sf veranda = 793sf).  On Silver Whisper we had a Deluxe Veranda (mini suite, 313sf plus 60sf veranda = 345 sf). 

The DV didn't feel any more spacious than a CC, so I think it's fair to compare Azamara CC pricing to Silversea.  Looking at the cruise you mention, a CC is 65% more than the lowest category, which would still be far below the cost of the SS comparison (enough to cover your shore excursion costs – and specialty restaurants are included for CC and above).  So all in, Azamara and Silversea would cost about the same – and based on my comparison would provide about the same experience.  Given that choice, I would book Azamara.

Thankx for that.  I don't book inside, bottom suites or cabins either.  I was just doing an entry level price comparison to show Silversea is more than Azamara but that the included items make it that way because of Luxury vs. Premium.  Your situation is more a true comparison. 

After sailing in some suites, my question is how much cabin/suite size is enough?  I like larger accommodations but at some point, we don't need more.  We are trying the AZ CWOS this December to see how it compares to Regent's Concierge and Penthouse suites. We were able to book it for $645 pp/pn which I felt was a real value considering I love the aft views. The other two bookings are an aft P1 for the same reason.I'm just glad other people aren't gobbling them up which is why we book when the itineraries are first released.

I'm hoping AZ's service level has maintained. The onboard experience is what I felt always made it a cut above for a Premium level.

29 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

We are trying the AZ CWOS this December

It is a truly lovely suite – wonderful for dining-in and for entertaining too, and the Butlers are very accommodating.  The first time in a CW (thanks for a very reasonable upgrade) we asked the Butler to arrange a little cocktail party for our new Roll Call shore excursion friends.  He agreed but apologized that he was only allowed to cater for 6 – but he brought enough hors d’oeuvres that the 13 of us couldn’t finish it all!  We also had room service breakfast each morning – delivered twice so DW could have it early and mine was a little later.  

We have done 6088 on Quest and 7114 on Journey – both cabins are identical, but the balconies are deepest on deck 6 and slightly shallower as you go up [which is really only important if you want shade, as we do]  And after all the complaints about the small bathroom in the regular cabins on Azamara, I am happy to report that the CW bathroom is just wonderful:  both a bathtub and a large shower with sink, and a connected toilet room with another small sink – with another door that opens right at the entrance [so guests can visit the 'powder room' without seeing all your stuff spread over the main bathroom!]  The layout also means there is circular access around the cabin:  entrance to living/dining area to bedroom to main bathroom to powder room back to entrance.  Two people sharing will never trap the other in a dead end!

We used every part of the suite [except the storage – there was so much we never used all of that!]  We're booked in a CC for our next voyage, but I'm hoping we will be able to upgrade to a CW.

PS - are you from Charleston SC?  [Chucktown]

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It is a truly lovely suite – wonderful for dining-in and for entertaining too, and the Butlers are very accommodating.  The first time in a CW (thanks for a very reasonable upgrade) we asked the Butler to arrange a little cocktail party for our new Roll Call shore excursion friends.  He agreed but apologized that he was only allowed to cater for 6 – but he brought enough hors d’oeuvres that the 13 of us couldn’t finish it all!  We also had room service breakfast each morning – delivered twice so DW could have it early and mine was a little later.  

We have done 6088 on Quest and 7114 on Journey – both cabins are identical, but the balconies are deepest on deck 6 and slightly shallower as you go up [which is really only important if you want shade, as we do]  And after all the complaints about the small bathroom in the regular cabins on Azamara, I am happy to report that the CW bathroom is just wonderful:  both a bathtub and a large shower with sink, and a connected toilet room with another small sink – with another door that opens right at the entrance [so guests can visit the 'powder room' without seeing all your stuff spread over the main bathroom!]  The layout also means there is circular access around the cabin:  entrance to living/dining area to bedroom to main bathroom to powder room back to entrance.  Two people sharing will never trap the other in a dead end!

We used every part of the suite [except the storage – there was so much we never used all of that!]  We're booked in a CC for our next voyage, but I'm hoping we will be able to upgrade to a CW.

PS - are you from Charleston SC?  [Chucktown]

TY so much for the input.  I spent 35 years in Charleston, my DW 40 years before we moved to central FL in 2018. We were married on a friend's piazza overlooking Charleston Harbor 34 years ago.  I just never changed the handle.Quite perceptive of you.

6 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Quite perceptive of you.

The Google...  [Actually, I lie – it was The DuckDuckGo, but in addition to not using The Google I'm trying to break their trademark by turning it into a generic term...]

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Would much rather be in a "sought after" position on a corner of the stern, with a wraparound veranda and a 270 degree view.

That is a problem with Silversea's tradition ship design: all the cabins are in the front and mid parts of the ship.  Only their latest ship (Nova; and Ray which is under construction) has aft cabins.  Silver Whisper has nothing like the Azamara CW suites.

Friends tried Silversea for their first (and last) cruise .

They said it was awful because they were obviously the poorest people onboard. 
English reticence meant they did not want to mention their financial status constantly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1