Balcony Discounts

Posted (edited)

Yes we get ours.  But in many instances it is not combinable with other offers, and with some offered fares the pricing to include the the benefit is actually higher.  It also is a different value with bookings made within 6 months of sailing (lower) versus greater than 6 months of sailing.

But it has been that way for a number of years, unfortunately, and was one of the first changes that affected C & A benefits made by the current President and CEO when he was first appointed.  As we always book balconies, we do mock bookings with and without including the benefit to compare.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind

28 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Does anyone ever get crown and anchor balcony discounts based on your level anymore?

For group rates the balcony discounts always apply.

For regular posted rates it depends on whether the secondary promo (instant savings or OBC) is more or less than the balcony discount as the two are not combinable.

While we all want the CAS balcony discount to be a matter of finding the best rate and then taking a fixed discount from that best rate, that isn't how it works.  

The CAS balcony discount doesn't always yield the lowest fare if there is a better promo running at that time.  The concept of "combinable" comes into play and sometimes the CAS balcony discount doesn't yield the lower fare.

Since the CAS balcony discount is larger as you climb higher up the CAS ladder, the discount is more often a factor and meaningful for the highest CAS levels.  That's not to say it never works out for the lower CAS levels, just not as frequently it seems.  

18 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

For group rates the balcony discounts always apply.

For regular posted rates it depends on whether the secondary promo (instant savings or OBC) is more or less than the balcony discount as the two are not combinable.

I've researched 6 different cruises and I think all were group rates, but nothing extra for a D+ balcony discount that I can see.

Maybe you can?

Wonder Jan 12th

4D balcony $2639

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

I've researched 6 different cruises and I think all were group rates, but nothing extra for a D+ balcony discount that I can see.

Maybe you can?

Wonder Jan 12th

4D balcony $2639

I only checked a standard booking for that sailing and my discount was available. Higher by my benefit amount without it included.  (Unless you are booking through a TA you would not have fares other than standard through the website).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

24 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Maybe you can?

Wonder Jan 12th

4D balcony $2639

Balcony discounts will in 90% of all cases will not be applied automatically to group rates.  The agent needs to call Royal and have the booking "special fared" to reflect the balcony discount.  Just another of those "quirks" with their system.

Jan. 12 is a good example how the discounts are not combinable and do not work based on a fixed amount from a "standard" fare.

For Jan 12 on Wonder when selecting a 4D balcony (not GTY).

Platinum member:

image.thumb.jpeg.1c48f6e0b76bd9612c22bc6e4212fbd1.jpeg

Compared to a D+ member for the same 4D balcony category:

image.thumb.jpeg.a436405b4b3bddb9215af20aac3342ff.jpeg

Versus a Pinnacle member for the same 4D balcony category:

image.thumb.jpeg.cfcae0e6182221e8cff0650eb3fd3ce6.jpeg

As you can see for the Diamond Plus and Pinnacle the CAS balcony discount yields a fare that works out cheaper while for the Platinum member the Instant Saving Flash Sale produces the lowest fare. 

If you were to have a TA force the application of a platinum CAS balcony rate it would be higher than the rate obtained using the Instant Savings Flash Sale promotion.  

The Instant Savings Flash Sale promo is not combinable with the CAS balcony discount so the CAS balcony discount only works out for higher levels of the CAS on this ship and sail date.  

In this case the system is finding the lowest possible fare for a platinum member and offering that rate.

55 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Balcony discounts will in 90% of all cases will not be applied automatically to group rates.  The agent needs to call Royal and have the booking "special fared" to reflect the balcony discount.  Just another of those "quirks" with their system.

THANKS So much for this info. I checked with 2 agencys and they were both able to apply $250 balcony discount

3 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Does anyone ever get crown and anchor balcony discounts based on your level anymore?

Yes on all of my balcony sails and combined with the solo supplement DP340.