Jacques Pépin has been replaced

On 3/20/2024 at 5:33 PM, ronrick1943 said:

I hope they keep the restaurant on the ship, that was my favorite ones on the ship.  Food always top notch (in my opinion).

We just got off of Marina, and Jacques was my favorite among the specialties. The service missed on a couple of points (no amuse? and the tableside presentation of the Bar en Croûte lasted about 1/4 second before the server started cutting into the beautiful puff pastry), but the dishes were well conceived, well executed and flavorful.

Is it "authentic" French? Not really, but to me that's not a problem.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Harters said:

That makes for a depressing read for someone about to board in the next few days. What with that and the reported soundproofing issues...........

Please do not stress about other opinions...they are individual opinions.

Soon you'll be able to experience Oceania for yourself, and form your own opinion.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JYDCruise said:

asted about 1/4 second before the server started cutting

Are you kidding??? A quarter of a second????? Give me a break. We were seated with another couple at Jacques one night. I don't think they or we could count a quarter of a second!

4 hours ago, JYDCruise said:

How would YOU differentiate it from "authentic"?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, clo said:

How would YOU differentiate it from "authentic"?

Didn't we just have this conversation about Mexican food? 😄

Edited by Kay S
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Didn't we just have this conversation about Mexican food? 😄

Isn't authentic what ever you think is.  Authentic to one isn't authentic to someone else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clo said:

Are you kidding??? A quarter of a second????? Give me a break. We were seated with another couple at Jacques one night. I don't think they or we could count a quarter of a second!

Is it necessary to question the small details of every single statement? For me it’s not critical for the subject of this thread.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Is it necessary to question the small details of every single statement? For me it’s not critical for the subject of this thread.

How else will they get to 15k posts?? The new mission no doubt. 

Edited by EJL2023
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, JYDCruise said:

I simply was curious about their differentiation; that's all. Sorry.

3 hours ago, clo said:

Sigh . . . really? OK, what happened exactly is that the server wheeled up the tray with the fish and immediately* started portioning it out. I would have expected and hoped that he would have given us the opportunity to admire the effort that went into creating the puff pastry fish before cutting it apart. I would have also appreciated being served a bit of the leftover puff pastry, but I'm greedy that way. The fish was properly cooked and quite tasty regardless.

*I'll concede that it was not truly "immediate" in Planck time terms.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Glad I got to be on a cruise with Pepin then - Xmas 2022 on Riviera, he seemed a lovely chap and we saw him spending time with chefs who came to see him (a lot of times at the pool!). What a dignified chap. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Our first meal on any O cruise is always in Jacques. The man is a world treasure and frankly, is the reason for O's food reputation. We only sail on Riviera or Marina due to the newer ships not having Jacques. With a new generation taking over the operation of Oceania, one can only hope they study a bit of history and realize that even Millennials can be taught to appreciate fine cuisine and not assume they only want "chain restaurant" menus .

Edited by Aloha 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1