Jacques Pépin has been replaced

I think it’s classy to replace him now, so that all can pay homage to his talents. Additionally, these positions shouldn’t be “ until death do we depart “ type arrangements. The world moves on.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, clo said:

I would think that Chef Pepin somehow "owns" that name.

Your response has no relevance to the question asked. Someone posted they had heard Jacques was being replaced on Marina after the refit….to which was asked, where did you read that? 

Edited by EJL2023
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, LuAnn said:

Are they still going to have Jacques on Marina after the refit? I thought I read they were replacing it? 

Aquamar Kitchen is going in the space that used to host the La Reserve dinners. Is that what you are thinking of? (Sorry if I got restaurant names wrong...thinking before noon is a struggle)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, clo said:

I would think that Chef Pepin somehow "owns" that name.

But, if so, presumably only to the extent that his contract with Oceania applies. Clearly, whatever the nature of his original contract, it is adapting or being replaced as he retires from the role. Pepin obviously has no contractual claim to have a restaurant onboard using his first name, otherwise Vista would have a Jacques. Which doesnt take us any further about whether Marina will continue to have a Jacques. If I was "the person in charge", it wouldnt have one and it would look to the future, rather than  the past. 

Edited by Harters

On 3/21/2024 at 3:35 AM, Harters said:

I suspect the fact that Vista does not have a Jacques is an indication of the way forward. Although they could find that Ember proves to be generally unpopular and they reimage it as a French restaurant. I've yet to try Ember but I'm looking forward to it.  

We enjoyed Embers while on board

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Harters said:

But, if so, presumably only to the extent that his contract with Oceania applies. Clearly, whatever the nature of his original contract, it is adapting or being replaced as he retires from the role. Pepin obviously has no contractual claim to have a restaurant onboard using his first name, otherwise Vista would have a Jacques. Which doesnt take us any further about whether Marina will continue to have a Jacques. If I was "the person in charge", it wouldnt have one and it would look to the future, rather than  the past. 

Wishing you a great cruise look forward to your observations we sailed in February 

1 hour ago, Harters said:

I did a little reading and he "trademarked" a number of names so maybe that one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, clo said:

he "trademarked" a number of names so maybe that one.

It's possible that US trademark law is different to UK trademark law. But, if not, then I think it might be difficult to trademark a very common first name. It'd be different from trademarking, say "Jacques Pepin", which would clearly be much more specific. 

24 minutes ago, Harters said:

It's possible that US trademark law is different to UK trademark law. But, if not, then I think it might be difficult to trademark a very common first name. It'd be different from trademarking, say "Jacques Pepin", which would clearly be much more specific. 

Maybe. But I understand that he's been quite the astute business person so maybe just in his contract with O.

• Like 1

The food on the Vista was nothing compared to what it has been on all other Oceania crusie ships.

Except for one night on a 7 night cruise the food was not up to the standards that Oceania Cruise line advertises.

It’s unfortunate when the food in the buffet is better than the speciality restaurants.The main dining room wasn’t much better.  Over all food was awful.  After sailing on Oceania since 2008 I will be looking for another cruise line.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

Your response has no relevance to the question asked. Someone posted they had heard Jacques was being replaced on Marina after the refit….to which was asked, where did you read that? 

Such could be said of about 90% of her responses. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, bchbum4000 said:

Over all food was awful.

That makes for a depressing read for someone about to board in the next few days. What with that and the reported soundproofing issues...........

8 minutes ago, Harters said:

That makes for a depressing read for someone about to board in the next few days. What with that and the reported soundproofing issues...........

We found the specialty restaurants to be overall  very good.  The Terrace Cafe at dinner was very busy and abit unorganized in food service. At other meals Terrace was fine. Waves was very good and i ate lobster sandwiches many days and they delivered my food to the back of the Ship at Terrace. Embers good and enjoyable.  Polo Grill excellent  Red Ginger superb. GDR beautiful and service great. Food good but specialty restaurants better.

Enjoy your cruise

I look forward to your observations 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Harters said:

The ship is beautiful. No issues with sound at all. I guess it depends on cabin location. My remarks about the food are only compared to the Riveria and the Regatta that we have sailed on for years. 
you will love the ship I’m sure.  We went thru a storm and that ship hardly moved.  It’s state of the art. Enjoy your trip. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harters said:

You follow this board closely so you probably noticed that more people rated Oceania food as good overall, definitely not awful. We always found it enjoyable. Probably not “the best”  - it never was. With some choices better than others but still very good so we always were able to find something that we liked.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Harters said:

I tend to discount the extreme posts, especially those who say "never again."  Such posts tend to be outliers who want to rant and vent.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, osandomir said:

You follow this board closely so you probably noticed that more people rated Oceania food as good overall, definitely not awful. We always found it enjoyable. Probably not “the best”  - it never was. With some choices better than others but still very good so we always were able to find something that we liked.

We always found it the best.  Now it’s just acceptable. But all of us have different tastes and all are used to different food. I voiced my opinion after this last asking 3/9 to 3/16

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bchbum4000 said:

We always found it the best.  Now it’s just acceptable. But all of us have different tastes and all are used to different food. I voiced my opinion after this last asking 3/9 to 3/16

And for us the food on Oceania or any other cruise ship has never been the best. You are right that the tastes are different and it depends on what you compare it to. We had much better meals on land back home and all over the world, but I wouldn’t call Oceania dining just acceptable even recently. And most people still don’t find it so bad. Maybe your experience was different. I responded to the other post trying to provide a balanced input.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harters said:

I'll let folk know how we got on in around 3 weeks time. I plan to do a CC review and will post it to the forum.

Enjoy tour trip!