Princess invitation to book, somewhat previous?

We have never booked a cruise so far ahead (November '24) on Sky.. We have been invited to book our 'free' speciality dinners and excursions and thus downloaded the app and booked our dinners.  The excursions did not appeal.  Is this not somewhat far ahead to be doing this? Is it easy to cancel or rearrange.  I know I'll be on the cruise ship but really no idea how much I'll feel like a 16 oz steak at 19:10 on 4 Nov, but DW as lead passenger got the reminder email and thought we might miss out! Surely these venues are not that sought after.

At sea days tend to book out.  I've read elsewhere that some venues get booked up fairly quickly, particularly for those prime time spots.

if you want to try out a restaurant, suggest booking it, and the menu should hopefully have enough variety outside of steak that you have other options to choose.

• Like 1

You’d be surprised at quickly these specialty restaurants book if you wait until you board.  We’ve gone to the desk on the first day a they didn’t have an opening at any specialty dining the entire cruise.  They had to refund us for our included dinners that we missed.  I think they are now setting some tables aside for those that booked the premier package to book while they are onboard.  But, those restaurants do book up quickly!  

Specialty Restaurants may get booked full.  Excursions may sell out.  You don’t mention it you have the Premier Package with complimentary meals or On Board Credits.

There are no penalties for booking ahead.  only issues may be:

1.  Charged to your credit card now rather than later.

2.  Cancel before cruise, refunded back to form of payment.

3.  Cancel while on board, refunded as refundable obc.

4.  Excursion rates may rise.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MTNest93 said:

We booked our specialty dinners in Jan '24 for a cruise we have booked in Feb '26! 😂 Never too early in my book!!

Especially if it is a special occasion that you know you are going to want to celebrate with a special meal.  
We got skunked out of a nice dinner for our 25th anniversary on the Grand several years ago.  Not only could we not get a specialty restaurant but not even a private table in the MDR.  To top it off, the pizza ovens at Alfredo’s were broken .. guess where we had to eat?  Yes, the buffet!  I was so sad.  We made up for it when we got home by cooking our own nice dinner.  If only we’d planned ahead.  

• Like 4

And if I may add, it is easy to change (if times are available) as it gets closer and you have a better idea what is happening. I booked in January( and soon made dinner reservations)for a June cruise, and even today made a couple of changes to our dining times and venues. So far a lot of times are still available but full payment was just required 10 days ago.

• Like 1

Thanks, that's all I was concerned about really.  It just seems so far off to book a night out.  Actually makes the Princess booking system seem impressive. Perhaps it's good marketing; the more involved you are the less likely you are to back out when it's time to pay up.  I have the Premier package, so no risk as it says nil against the card. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We have never had an issue booking SD while onboard.  We are usually on voyages of 30+ days.

Same here we have never ever booked a specialty restaurant and have never been denied a table after 7:30 and have never seen the room full at that time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Same here we have never ever booked a specialty restaurant and have never been denied a table after 7:30 and have never seen the room full at that time

Same here, also.  But, we do long cruises.  I’m sure the shorter cruises are filled up more quickly.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rowingmachine said:

We have never booked a cruise so far ahead (November '24) on Sky.. We have been invited to book our 'free' speciality dinners and excursions and thus downloaded the app and booked our dinners.  The excursions did not appeal.  Is this not somewhat far ahead to be doing this? Is it easy to cancel or rearrange.  I know I'll be on the cruise ship but really no idea how much I'll feel like a 16 oz steak at 19:10 on 4 Nov, but DW as lead passenger got the reminder email and thought we might miss out! Surely these venues are not that sought after.

Another way of looking at it is you may definitely be wanting a 16oz at 19:10 on 4 Nov. 😉

Have a great cruise!

52 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Same here, also.  But, we do long cruises.  I’m sure the shorter cruises are filled up more quickly.

Same here if we do a 7 day it is part of a b2b. Leave next month for 16 days for Hawaii 

6 hours ago, rowingmachine said:

We often book cruises over a year ahead.  Specialty restaurants often are full except for very early or late months before the cruise.

You can always change once on board.

18 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Another way of looking at it is you may definitely be wanting a 16oz at 19:10 on 4 Nov. 😉

Have a great cruise!

Absolutely right.  It's a balancing act.  On the one hand prepare and enjoy the anticipation, fondle your fireworks; the other leave some bits to chance and approach them unscripted.  I do like a crossword where I can't access the answers.