Disappointing wine list on Viking Star

hutch1994

Purchased the silver spirits package expecting decent red wine by the glass.  Big mistake.  Not one California cab, took away the Australia cab by day three, the French Cote de rhone also now is missing.  If we had known this up front, wouldn't have purchased the package and just bought decent wine by the bottle instead.  Not interested in their house pours.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, hutch1994 said:

Purchased the silver spirits package expecting decent red wine by the glass.  Big mistake.  Not one California cab, took away the Australia cab by day three, the French Cote de rhone also now is missing.  If we had known this up front, wouldn't have purchased the package and just bought decent wine by the bottle instead.  Not interested in their house pours.

Sorry that you have found the list to be less than you expected.  We have always been pleased with the expanded list of wines.

• Like 1

The original poster seems to be suggesting Viking misjudged or low balled the demand for particular wines if they "were out by day three".  That's a significant hospitality failure, and different from a decision not to carry any California etc Cabernet sauvignon wines

• Like 2

Where the ship is sailing is also what dictates the wine list.  Not every port in every country may have California Cabs or other wines available.  Viking don't ship the wines globally to every ship.

A wine that is on the list when you board, may well run out during your cruise and if the wine is not available from suppliers in the ports you are stopping in they cannot source it, then it won't be replaced.

It is kind of take it as it comes in my opinion.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

IMO unless you’re drinking liquor,  SSP isn’t worth the cost. The package doesn’t off anything exclusive. All the wines are available to everyone, it’s just a different way of paying and offers discounts on full bottles.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

Currently on board Star as well and we both agree with the OP that the wine selection currently being offered on board is very disappointing. First of all, the included wines, just in our opinion; others may disagree, are totally uninteresting. We asked to taste the included sparkling wines and found them both, one from Germany and one from California to be sweet and for us, undrinkable. If we had chosen the beverage package we would have access to only one of the three Champagnes offered on the list. It is the lowest price Champagne on the list and one we have never heard of before.  We have been around a few years ;-). We are very glad we decided at the last minute to purchase a wine suitcase and we have brought our own bottles. There was a Jacquard Champagne in our mini fridge on arrival. We asked the room steward to remove the four mini bottles of liquor and all soft drinks as we don’t drink any of those and could those, since they are included, be substituted with a second bottle of Jacquard?  The steward checked with his supervisor and the answer was a definite “no” but we could have one bottle of the included wine. We said no thank you. Seems Viking is making out well with us.. we drink none of their included beverages. We have cruised enough to understand that ship location can effect variety and availability but decent wines are available world wide. Having said that, there are cruise lines that manage to have plenty of reliable, decent stock on board, no matter their location; ie, Crystal always has plenty of the included Jacquard and Regent and Seabourn are not known to run out of their included Montaudon. 

• Like 1

The included wines have deteriorated since COVID no doubt.

Sorry for your disappointment, but there have been numerous threads on CruiseCritic discussing the lack of good wines on Viking these days (I know since I've been part of those threads).

It is what it is.  And as such, we ALWAYS try to bring wine bottles on board with us - either ahead of time or during the cruise itself, buying in local ports.  That's even fun!   When you get free corkage and can bring your own onboard that's something to take advantage of.  Most other cruise ships either limit you or charge you for your own alcohol onboard.

In summary - the biggest transformation the past years was:

-Shifting many many good wines from wine by the glass to purchase by the bottle only.

-Reducing the total number of wines by the glass (i.e. like just a single USA Zinfandel).

That being said, we have cruised a lot on Viking since COVID and have found that the itinerary does make a difference.  Last cruise in the Med, we had some different Portugal, Spanish, and Italian wines for the included meals.   But most of the wines were still those old tired regulars.

I guess your choice is, if it makes that much a difference to you, to not ever do Viking again - or bring your own onboard.   I talked with many at Viking about this situation and basically it will not change - they claim most are happy with this arrangement (including Viking, which raises more revenue and cuts costs).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ibis said:

C. We asked to taste the included sparkling wines and found them both, one from Germany and one from California to be sweet and for us, undrinkable.

I have only ever been offered red or white wine as the included wine  (except welcome drink and captains evenings which was sparkling).  Should also offer Rose as included.

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

I guess your choice is, if it makes that much a difference to you, to not ever do Viking again - or bring your own onboard.   I talked with many at Viking about this situation and basically it will not change - they claim most are happy with this arrangement (including Viking, which raises more revenue and cuts costs).

That's actually a good summary of so many things today.  It's unfortunate that cruising, which was once a way to step away from "take it or leave it" hospitality, has chosen to join it.

• Like 1

If your favorite wine/champagne was previously on list, talk with sommelier.  He may have some stock available, but not enough to put on list.

This occured on our prior Star voyage Re: French Champagne that was on list, then off a few days later.  

He said they still had it, just ask.  I did, and it was brought to table.  Even opened a 2nd bottle, when requested.  (We didn't drink the entire 1st bottle, it was already opened!)

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

If your favorite wine/champagne was previously on list, talk with sommelier.  He may have some stock available, but not enough to put on list.

This occured on our prior Star voyage Re: French Champagne that was on list, then off a few days later.  

He said they still had it, just ask.  I did, and it was brought to table.  Even opened a 2nd bottle, when requested.  (We didn't drink the entire 1st bottle, it was already opened!)

Thanks!  Great idea.  Never thought of that. At least for ones we don't see on the list at all.

My original point was that some of our favorite wines that were by the glass were now by the bottle only.  Specifically asked about Mer de Soleil Chardonnay, which had been by the glass for a long time and then got "elevated" to a buy the bottle only.  I asked first if it was still in stock on board and after the yes, asked if we could just have a glass like before and the answer was, you can only buy the full bottle.  Disappointing.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

The included wines have deteriorated since COVID no doubt.

Sorry for your disappointment, but there have been numerous threads on CruiseCritic discussing the lack of good wines on Viking these days (I know since I've been part of those threads).

It is what it is.  And as such, we ALWAYS try to bring wine bottles on board with us - either ahead of time or during the cruise itself, buying in local ports.  That's even fun!   When you get free corkage and can bring your own onboard that's something to take advantage of.  Most other cruise ships either limit you or charge you for your own alcohol onboard.

In summary - the biggest transformation the past years was:

-Shifting many many good wines from wine by the glass to purchase by the bottle only.

-Reducing the total number of wines by the glass (i.e. like just a single USA Zinfandel).

That being said, we have cruised a lot on Viking since COVID and have found that the itinerary does make a difference.  Last cruise in the Med, we had some different Portugal, Spanish, and Italian wines for the included meals.   But most of the wines were still those old tired regulars.

Agree with your assessment.  Probably will be looking at Regent or Silverseas as we don't really want to go to the trouble of carrying wines on board.

12 hours ago, harbourside said:

I have only ever been offered red or white wine as the included wine  (except welcome drink and captains evenings which was sparkling).  Should also offer Rose as included.

They only walk around with the red and white included wines.  You can always have the included Prosecco but you have to ask for it.

This may spark some controversial conversation, BUT, we often tip cash to a few people on the Viking Ocean ships and one of them is the Wine Steward.  We don't tip day one, but we generally ask to sit in the same area of the restaurant and so we have the same server team night after night.

On day two or three we will palm pass a tip and it is amazing how much more SOMETIMES comes available.  Even when you are on the included wines, if they come with a white that is a Chardonnay (and I typically don't drink or like Chardonnay) and I ask if there is another choice for white, then they bring an option.  

In our experience the included wines are not always just what they bring to the table.

As @FetaCheese suggested, talk with the Sommelier and often there are options.  We have also talked with the Food and Beverage Manager (Uniformed Officer) and had different luck, such as FetaCheese suggested that there is a wine or wines in stock that are too low in stock to have on the list.

If you don't ask you won't get.

• Thanks 3

Totally agree about asking and we did ask. Only sparkling wines in The Restaurant being offered are a rather low quality sweet  Californian sparkling wine and a sweet German sparkling wine. In Manfredi’s we were offered a sparkling wine with a Viking label, also, in our opinion, below even just an average standard. We said no thank you to all three.

We’ll ask again and see if anything else surfaces. I’m not surprised someone tipping  the sommelier with cash early on in the cruise might just be offered other options, but what a pity that’s the way the game is played on Viking. We are just more comfortable knowing up front what is available to all of us, since Viking does advertise wine included at dinner.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Read Wine List last night in The Restaurant.  French Champagne offered by glass:  Sant Gall $18, available to pax with SSBP, or anyone for charge.  (Rest are Bottle priced only).

Enjoyed this label last cruise, and in my opinion, was satisfied with quality, dry not sweet.

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

On day two or three we will palm pass a tip and it is amazing how much more SOMETIMES comes available. 

Living in a small town, we don't have experience with palm passing tips (as perhaps is the norm in the big cities).

What amount do you advise to achieve the desired results?

22 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Living in a small town, we don't have experience with palm passing tips (as perhaps is the norm in the big cities).

What amount do you advise to achieve the desired results?

We pass a crisp USD $10 (folded) for first time and then for some we will pass a second $10 later in the cruise if they have been especially attentive.  Most get the second $10.  

9 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

This may spark some controversial conversation, BUT, we often tip cash to a few people on the Viking Ocean ships and one of them is the Wine Steward.  We don't tip day one, but we generally ask to sit in the same area of the restaurant and so we have the same server team night after night.

On day two or three we will palm pass a tip and it is amazing how much more SOMETIMES comes available.  Even when you are on the included wines, if they come with a white that is a Chardonnay (and I typically don't drink or like Chardonnay) and I ask if there is another choice for white, then they bring an option.  

In our experience the included wines are not always just what they bring to the table.

As @FetaCheese suggested, talk with the Sommelier and often there are options.  We have also talked with the Food and Beverage Manager (Uniformed Officer) and had different luck, such as FetaCheese suggested that there is a wine or wines in stock that are too low in stock to have on the list.

If you don't ask you won't get.

While I believe in tipping for service given, personally don't think people should have to tip wine stewards on the side to get wines that they are holding back in reserve.

• Like 6

Yes, FetaCheese, that is the Champane that we referred to as being the only one available on the beverage package. Just our opinion, but if you are willing to spend the cost of the package we would say spend $10.00 more and buy a sort of decent bottle of the Jacquart instead. Everyone has their own preference and we enjoy hearing everyone’s opinion😊

In any case..Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

While I believe in tipping for service given, personally don't think people should have to tip wine stewards on the side to get wines that they are holding back in reserve.

I studied hospitality and tourism in University but did not pursue the career for many years after.

One of the things that we learned was the supposed origin of tipping, and if you research it, you will find various theories, but one remains strong that "tipping" was done in advance to improve service.

I do hear what you are saying.

I don't think that you have to actually tip to get what is held back in reserve.  I think that if you are drinking the included wines, and they come with a Chardonnay and you don't care for Chardonnay, let them know and they will often offer something else.

I have done this without tipping and they have offered me something else.  All of a sudden there is a different white wine available.

• Like 2

Actually there are some pretty good wines available, if your horizons are not limited to some particular region.  As with anything, personal preferences might cause your experience to vary.  We find the SSBP to be good value, and we will continue to purchase it.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Messybill said:

Actually there are some pretty good wines available, if your horizons are not limited to some particular region.  As with anything, personal preferences might cause your experience to vary.  We find the SSBP to be good value, and we will continue to purchase it.

Agree.  This past cruise in the Med, we found some interesting and different wines they had picked up in Spain, Portugal, and Italy - that were different from before.

We are not that wedded to having to have a California red (although I must admit I'm a bit biased towards them).  Sometimes it's fun to try different wines and expand the horizons!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Agree.  This past cruise in the Med, we found some interesting and different wines they had picked up in Spain, Portugal, and Italy - that were different from before.

We are not that wedded to having to have a California red (although I must admit I'm a bit biased towards them).  Sometimes it's fun to try different wines and expand the horizons!

OK CC, perhaps we will cross paths at some point.  If so we look forward to an opportunity to taste some wine and discuss!