Wifi for solo passenger

IUSteve

As everyone knows, solo travelers, like I will be on Sun Princess in May, pay the same rate as two people in a state room. As part of a promotion, I have princess plus. It says that offers “one device per passenger.” But since I am paying for a double occupancy room, doesn’t that mean I should be able to use Wi-Fi on two devices? I mean, if I had a second passenger in the room, the fare would be the same, but two people would be using Wi-Fi. Any chance the princess people will agree with this logic?

Access for one device just means one device at a time. I will use the access on both my phone and my tablet but can only be logged onto one of them at a time. As for multiple device access when sailing as a solo: I really have no clue but doubt that's the case.

You pay double on your cruise fare and then the $60 pp/pd is added to that.

Since you only have 1 person in the cabin, you are charged for 1 Plus package.

Just bounce back and forth with your devices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not much chance, no.

You do know, however, that you can switch back and forth as often as you want, a fairly easy process, right? So unless you really need two devices online at the same time, it might not be worth upgrading. I surely don't.

Agree, I was trying to think of a situation that you wanted to use 2 devices at the exact same time (one for the left hand and one for the right) and just can’t think of any scenario needing that.

As a solo you can connect 10+ devices in one plan, but just use one at a time.

Cheers

As a solo, you paid double for the base cruise fare, but only paid single for the Plus Package fare.  Therefore, you only paid for single device Wi-Fi.  

By your logic, this would mean that you also paid for double crew appreciation ($32 a day, instead of $16 for up to a premium balcony), double drinks (30 per day, instead of 15), double casual dining (4 per cruise instead of 2), double premium desserts (4 per day, instead of 2), and double fitness classes (4 per cruise instead of 2).  This is NOT the case.

You also only paid single for the port charges and taxes.

• Like 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
6 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Agree, I was trying to think of a situation that you wanted to use 2 devices at the exact same time (one for the left hand and one for the right) and just can’t think of any scenario needing that.

As a solo you can connect 10+ devices in one plan, but just use one at a time.

Cheers

Having two devices connected at the same time is handy for me. I can be working on the laptop and still have access to my social media through my phone without having to interrupt what I am doing. OK, I could live without the second connection but as I always have premier it makes sense to use them.

I also accept that the way I use my devices is unusual and most people would not get much benefit from having more than one connection IMO.

2 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Having two devices connected at the same time is handy for me. I can be working on the laptop and still have access to my social media through my phone without having to interrupt what I am doing. OK, I could live without the second connection but as I always have premier it makes sense to use them.

I also accept that the way I use my devices is unusual and most people would not get much benefit from having more than one connection IMO.

I’m the same way. It’s nice to feel understood. 🙂

10 hours ago, IUSteve said:

I mean, if I had a second passenger in the room, the fare would be the same, but two people would be using Wi-Fi. Any chance the princess people will agree with this logic?

I agree with the logic, but question the logistics.  When DH and I each have Wi-Fi for one device, we each have a separate log-in.  How would you create a separate log-in for your "roommate?"

Posted (edited)

You can upgrade to a 4 device package.

The only reason I would want a 2nd device is due to 2 factor authentication on some of my items.

Edited by Coral

4 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

1 hour ago, IUSteve said:

I’m the same way. It’s nice to feel understood. 🙂

Okay, then why not then turn on your hotspot in your laptop to connect cell phone?

8 hours ago, SCX22 said:

As a solo, you paid double for the base cruise fare, but only paid single for the Plus Package fare.  Therefore, you only paid for single device Wi-Fi.  

By your logic, this would mean that you also paid for double crew appreciation ($32 a day, instead of $16 for up to a premium balcony), double drinks (30 per day, instead of 15), double casual dining (4 per cruise instead of 2), double premium desserts (4 per day, instead of 2), and double fitness classes (4 per cruise instead of 2).  This is NOT the case.

You also only paid single for the port charges and taxes.

Isn't this very close to the path that Celebrity is taking with charging solos more than a 100% solo supplement because a solo has lower on board spending potential than a couple would?

10 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Isn't this very close to the path that Celebrity is taking with charging solos more than a 100% solo supplement because a solo has lower on board spending potential than a couple would?

It's the norm to charge a single supplement on all-inclusive vacations, organized land tours, and cruises.  It's been that way since I can remember.  Not the expert at solo travel because I've rarely had to travel solo.

Guest Snaxmuppet
57 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Okay, then why not then turn on your hotspot in your laptop to connect cell phone?

Yup... that would work if you have a laptop that allows wifi sharing (mine doesn't) or you could do it the other way and share on the phone... if you have a phone that allows wifi sharing... most iphones don't allow it but Androids often can.

5 hours ago, kamelia said:

I agree with the logic, but question the logistics.  When DH and I each have Wi-Fi for one device, we each have a separate log-in.  How would you create a separate log-in for your "roommate?"

The fare would be the same but not the package price. If people don’t have the package they would both have to pay for WiFi 

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

The fare would be the same but not the package price. If people don’t have the package they would both have to pay for WiFi 

Ah, I mis-read it then.  I thought he was trying to figure out how to use the Princess Plus one-device Wi-Fi option for himself as well as the one from the "second passenger" he's having to pay for as a solo traveler.

2 hours ago, tuputts said:

I have found that the quality of the wifi is really poor most of the time it’s unable to stream because it’s too weak.  I just use it for emails.

I use it for wordle and connection games at breakfast. No problem doing banking, new feeds etc

• Like 1

If OP wants more than one device that comes with the PLUS but doesn't want to spring for the Premier....can he/she upgrade just the wifi order and get 4 devices plus PLUS?

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

If OP wants more than one device that comes with the PLUS but doesn't want to spring for the Premier....can he/she upgrade just the wifi order and get 4 devices plus PLUS?

Yes, it is offered in the App.  I expect it will still be there in the new version.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting!  So you purchased one WIFI and connected it with the router.  How many people can realistically access the internet at the same time?

On 3/24/2024 at 3:26 AM, Snaxmuppet said:

Just this afternoon, I was using two devices simultaneously. I was seeing something on my tablet and was calling about it on my phone. It’s not that unusual.