“Live From” the Grandeur or Z and TB Live the High Life in the Caribbean!

Good morning!  Yesterday was another feel good/ feel crummy day.  It must have been something I ate.  As we were sitting down for dinner at Compass Rose, my least thought was eating.  I ended up ordering a bowl of rice.  As the bar tender came by, he noticed my gills were a little green and came back with a non-alcohol concoction he called “La Bomba,” which made me feel much better. I was feeling lousy enough the I failed to take many pics.  
Enough whining.  After lunch, The Boss wanted to go to the Charleston market, so we hoofed it over and strolled through the incredible amount of stalls.
IMG_2357.thumb.jpeg.f1634960d533ae3c90513bc9a47f896b.jpeg

IMG_2359.thumb.jpeg.a88644dbdf5e56fea98842a2538abeb5.jpeg

There are all sorts of hand made handicrafts to include these baskets which can run up to $200US for one the size of a plate.  
IMG_2361.jpeg.f70d8c8593caa8b6b611ebe2d8081157.jpeg

Photo provided by Peter Frank Edwards

Last night was the premiere of a new show called “Pasión,” which is a tango themed presentation.  I heard from someone that it was not that great and there was no storyline to follow. 
Charleston is now in our rear view mirror and fast disappearing. What a great city, people, and food wrapped around so much history. We plan to return in September and also visit Savannah which is also a beautiful city. 
Today: sea day follows by our last stop at the big apple 🍎

IMG_2356.thumb.jpeg.942a2f877d798e00cfcdca8b6d01a624.jpeg

Z and TB

• Like 5

We’ve enjoyed all of your comments on your cruise and the ship!

Thanks for taking us along!

Tonight we’re having dinner at a pub with Jackie and Dennis in NYC .

Will be thinking of you when we suck down the Guinness!

Best, J&L

1 hour ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Good morning!  Yesterday was another feel good/ feel crummy day.  It must have been something I ate.  As we were sitting down for dinner at Compass Rose, my least thought was eating.  I ended up ordering a bowl of rice.  As the bar tender came by, he noticed my gills were a little green and came back with a non-alcohol concoction he called “La Bomba,” which made me feel much better. I was feeling lousy enough the I failed to take many pics.  
Enough whining.  After lunch, The Boss wanted to go to the Charleston market, so we hoofed it over and strolled through the incredible amount of stalls.
IMG_2357.thumb.jpeg.f1634960d533ae3c90513bc9a47f896b.jpeg

IMG_2359.thumb.jpeg.a88644dbdf5e56fea98842a2538abeb5.jpeg

There are all sorts of hand made handicrafts to include these baskets which can run up to $200US for one the size of a plate.  
IMG_2361.jpeg.f70d8c8593caa8b6b611ebe2d8081157.jpeg

Photo provided by Peter Frank Edwards

Last night was the premiere of a new show called “Pasión,” which is a tango themed presentation.  I heard from someone that it was not that great and there was no storyline to follow. 
Charleston is now in our rear view mirror and fast disappearing. What a great city, people, and food wrapped around so much history. We plan to return in September and also visit Savannah which is also a beautiful city. 
Today: sea day follows by our last stop at the big apple 🍎

IMG_2356.thumb.jpeg.942a2f877d798e00cfcdca8b6d01a624.jpeg

Z and TB

After our Grandeur cruise in July, we are heading to Ireland to golf for 9 days, and back to Savannah Sept. 12. If your visit here is after that date, let me know and we could possibly meet up for a Diet Coke or cup of tea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gpilon said:

After our Grandeur cruise in July, we are heading to Ireland to golf for 9 days, and back to Savannah Sept. 12. If your visit here is after that date, let me know and we could possibly meet up for a Diet Coke or cup of tea. 

Oh no!  Thank you so much. But we will be there around Labor Day weekend.  Have a wonderful trip!

Z and TB

2 hours ago, Mudhen said:

We’ve enjoyed all of your comments on your cruise and the ship!

Thanks for taking us along!

Tonight we’re having dinner at a pub with Jackie and Dennis in NYC .

Will be thinking of you when we suck down the Guinness!

Best, J&L

What pub?   Please say hi to them from us.  

Z and TB

23 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

What pub?   Please say hi to them from us.  

Z and TB

Mulligan’s on 39th& Madison

We can both walk there from our hotels 

We’ll toast you guys!

Will pass on your greetings to them!

47 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Oh no!  Thank you so much. But we will be there around Labor Day weekend.  Have a wonderful trip!

Z and TB

Too bad.....and by the way, was just giving you the Mickey about a Diet Coke or cup of tea. We've been here for 15 years now and love Savannah even though we live on Skidaway Island (12 miles from downtown. 

• Like 1

@Gpilon and @Zqueeze1, we’re going east for a week at the end of this month, splitting our time between Savannah and Charleston. Do you guys have any suggestions for Must-Do activities?  We’ve never been to either city. Also we would be thankful for some suggestions for a nice dinner, or lunch for that matter, while we’re there. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

@Gpilon and @Zqueeze1, we’re going east for a week at the end of this month, splitting our time between Savannah and Charleston. Do you guys have any suggestions for Must-Do activities?  We’ve never been to either city. Also we would be thankful for some suggestions for a nice dinner, or lunch for that matter, while we’re there. 

Our favorite place for a great dinner is 45 Bistro on East Broughton…. www.45bistro.com. Great small bar for a cocktail pre-dinner there. Crystal Beer Parlor for lunch and craft beer is terrific. Www.crystalbeerparlor.com. 

Where are you staying while in Savannah?

Walking through the squares is always beautiful, especially Forsyth Square. Hop on/Hop off bus is a good way to see the city and River area.

Edited by Gpilon

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

Our favorite pace for a great dinner is 45 Bistro on East Broughton…. www.45bistro.com. Great small bar for a cocktail pre-dinner. 

Edited by Gpilon

13 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

Our favorite place for a great dinner is 45 Bistro on East Broughton…. www.45bistro.com. Great small bar for a cocktail pre-dinner there. Crystal Beer Parlor for lunch and craft beer is terrific. Www.crystalbeerparlor.com. 

Walking through the squares is always beautiful, especially Forsyth Square. Hop on/Hop off bus is a good way to see the city and River area.

In Charleston….we really enjoy Husk (also their Savannah restaurant) Fig, and High Cotton. Favorite hotels in Charleston are French Quarter Inn and Planters Inn. 

24 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

Our favorite pace for a great dinner is 45 Bistro on East Broughton…. www.45bistro.com. Great small bar for a cocktail pre-dinner. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

We’re staying at the Marshall House. It appears to share a wall with 45 Bistro! I just checked the Marshall House website. The breakfast room is 45 Bistro so I guess pretty convenient for us for dinner too. 

We are planning on the Hop On/Off bus and maybe a river cruise. The Crystal Beer Parlor menu looks yummy. We’ll see how close the bus will get us to it. 

Edited by jeb_bud

8 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

We’re staying at the Marshall House. It appears to share a wall with 45 Bistro! I just checked the Marshall House website. The breakfast room is 45 Bistro so I guess pretty convenient for us for dinner too. 

We are planning on the Hop On/Off bus and maybe a river cruise. The Crystal Beer Parlor menu looks yummy. We’ll see how close the bus will get us to it. 

Marshall House is a great location, and indeed shares building with 45 Bistro. A very quick and easy stroll to River Street from there as well as along Broughton. Very famous ice cream place is Leopold’s…..always a line up and virtually across the street from your hotel.

4 hours ago, Gpilon said:

In Charleston….we really enjoy Husk (also their Savannah restaurant) Fig, and High Cotton. Favorite hotels in Charleston are French Quarter Inn and Planters Inn. 

French Quarter is a great hotel, and right next to the market (I think I saw the back of the hotel in one of Z's pictures).   I second Husk too...is S.N.O.B. still any good? 

6 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Mulligan’s on 39th& Madison

We can both walk there from our hotels 

We’ll toast you guys!

Will pass on your greetings to them!

I'll be at a wine dinner about 40 blocks north of you (well, northwest of you).  Enjoy!

• Like 1

I can recommend Chive Sea Bar and Lounge! 4 w broughton. Have amazing food. Some with Asian influence. Great for lunch, dinner or at the bar. Ended up eating there three times when in Savannah 2 years ago. 

8 hours ago, CardowMD said:

@Zqueeze1 I know you said you have been under the weather, not sure if you were on any of these islands over the last week or so, but high reports of Dengue fever.

IMG_0219.png

Thankfully, we did not stop on any of these. 

Z and TB

Good morning! Today we are in Manhattan the city where I was born.  I lived on Fourth Street between Ave A and B down in the Lower East Side.  

My best friend lives in Jersey.   Although we won’t be able to see each other I need to mention him.  He is originally from Goose Creek, SC and swore he would never live in the north, marry a Yankee, or become a Catholic.  Well he fell in love with TB’s best friend and is now all three.  Here he is at the beach:

IMG_2362.thumb.webp.100789075c0dc98eed5841eb80d85275.webp

Some may say he may have been the cause of the recent earthquake activity in NYC. 

Yesterday was full of initial goodbyes with some folks due to today’s busy excursion schedule.  We also had a great day seeing sea life. We saw several whales, dolphins, and a gentleman reported seeing a shark.  

IMG_2365.thumb.jpeg.5d2575626ddaa85b0e5a78846de6ffdf.jpeg

Feeling much better, we had dinner at Pacific Rim

IMG_2378.thumb.jpeg.64a60a60030d2934027f01fc804ca639.jpeg

where we feasted on:

Beef tataki 

IMG_2373.thumb.jpeg.3d41ce2aae603f54539c520edb266bc3.jpeg

Alaskan King Crab roll

IMG_2372.thumb.jpeg.f77557e1fdc25e7ec58348d6528f6005.jpeg

Pad Thai

IMG_2376.thumb.jpeg.cdb83f42fde7246c43373ee669f00f9e.jpeg

Lamb chops

IMG_2374.thumb.jpeg.09400dc2974221bcd41f324dfa1a5678.jpeg

Pork ribs

IMG_2377.thumb.jpeg.a3de0993e1796d2eb1b9a7130c216d95.jpeg

Everything was incredibly delicious. 

Ready for NYC

IMG_2370.thumb.jpeg.cc9dbeb2349e1b1dc78b5aa15d957e81.jpeg

Z and TB

• Like 7

17 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

Charleston is a great city for walking especially to the Battery, South of Broad Street, Rainbow Row, and the market.  

Check out Hall’s Chop House for dinner. 

Z and TB

2 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Charleston is a great city for walking especially to the Battery, South of Broad Street, Rainbow Row, and the market.  

Check out Hall’s Chop House for dinner. 

Z and TB

Hall's is a terrific place for dinner. Charleston, much like Savannah, has wonderful and abundant restaurants. 

Well, we’re off the ship now, in Moynihan Train Hall. Disembarking was easy. (Finding a taxi was harder.) It was an excellent cruise with great dining and wonderful entertainment. 

We met friends for dinner in the city last night, at La Bernadin. That’s been a long-time desire of ours to dine there and it was everything we hoped for. Notably, this three  Michelin Star restaurant and the Grandeur have the same level of service. That says a lot, a lot a lot, about Regent’s crew. 

We were very happy to find out this morning that Monique and Natasha will be with us on the Splendor in July! 

• Like 3

Good morning!  Yesterday was our last full day and it was bittersweet. We spent the day on our own and saying goodbyes.   The weather was perfect with no clouds and a wonderful 74F/23C. 
we awoke at 0530 to claim a spot in the Observation lounge for the sail into NY harbor where we were welcomed by this beautiful lady:

IMG_2408.thumb.jpeg.1316b93d63940d3d3fd5ed739226c893.jpeg

And Freedom Tower

IMG_2414.thumb.jpeg.c30df5a6a8ff0e6f8412ad13b8a95111.jpeg

Our day started with getting hustled by an Uber driver.  I did not use the app and instead hopped into a vehicle being driven by a chyster holding an Uber sign.  As soon as we took off from Pier 88, I asked him how much and he said “forty bucks,” to go a mile and a half!  Luckily, he was from Ecuador where I’ve worked in the past and he dropped his price to something more reasonable.  

Anywho, we went to south Central Park and did the tourist thing, a carriage ride around the park.    I felt like a goofball at first, but then started enjoying it.  

Dallas the horse and our carriage

IMG_2468.thumb.jpeg.b2c8e5be07d9b55d2eae2a2c3a6c4f95.jpeg

Dallas smooching with The Boss

IMG_2450.thumb.jpeg.5850b506eaee2c804cd459be6b0b04ff.jpeg

Later, we took the F train towards Second Ave and heaven:  Katz’s deli

IMG_2474.thumb.jpeg.15422f087c5245839497323650be5b7e.jpegWe split a frank

IMG_2475.thumb.jpeg.091de1d69968d3e0e10cbc4aceb37655.jpeg

And a pastrami sandwich.  

IMG_2478.thumb.jpeg.abf302c01a1cb4acda0cda51fffc0346.jpeg

But, all good things come to an end.  TB made me walk the Bataan death march from 47th and Fifth Ave back to the ship while in a food coma.  Upon arrival we saw the ship being replenished. 

IMG_2484.thumb.jpeg.c11094b6cc452bee4248709a1adc8b66.jpeg

Back onboard and all napped up, I met a couple who said that Regent is not as good as it used to be because they don’t stop on St Bath’s as a form of habit. Not sure what medication they skipped that day. 

Next:  the last supper.  

Z and TB

• Like 11