“Live From” the Grandeur or Z and TB Live the High Life in the Caribbean!

Glad to hear you came through! Hope your road to total recovery is smooth.  Being home will be wonderful. Also best wishes to TB, as going through this with you is hard on her too! Thoughts, prayers, and best wishes,

Cindy

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Folks:  sorry I did not do a wrap up, but I caught some sort of stomach illness that knocked me down.  I ended up in the emergency room with several ruptured ulcers that required eight pints of blood. The doctor even told my wife to consider calling a priest.  Five days later, I dodged another bullet, but spent up one of my lives. The downside is no more alcohol. So, if you have stocks in Don Q rum sell ASAP.  Now I hope to go home today.

Thanks for all the prayers from friends and family.  BTW, my college classmates ran a pool to guess the hour and day I would croak.  I won the pot.  

Z and TB

Z and TB:

Just the other day we were talking about you and wondering why you hadn't posted a wrap up as you normally do and just thought you were busy getting back to "real life". I am so glad that you are on the road to recovery and won the pool grand prize and hopefully you will be able to go home today. Take the time to fully recover and you are so lucky to have TB by your side - this must have been so scary for her.

BTW - called my broker - sold all of my stock!

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2024 at 10:13 AM, GMIAC said:

Everything looks delicious! 

My Doctor: Don’t eat anything fatty.
Me: You mean like burgers, bacon, fries, etc?
My Doctor: No fatty, don’t eat anything.

Playin' here all week, folks! 

Or:

My Doctor:  You're too fat.

Me:  I want a second opinion.

My Doctor:  Okay, you're ugly, too.

(Sorry, Rodney)

• Haha 3

On 4/1/2024 at 1:45 PM, Zqueeze1 said:

Lorraine heads out near the end of May and will be in SC.  When she gets back onboard, she will be on the Explorer doing Alaska and Japan. 

Z and TB

If you see Lorraine let her know drinks are on us if she's anywhere near Greenville!!

OH NO! OMG!!! We're so very sorry to hear you've had this ordeal and are sending good vibes for a quick recovery.

Should we make a memorial plaque for the back of your pool bar stool? Guess that might be

a little premature....(giggle!!!). 

Hurry up and get well,!!!

J&L

On 4/9/2024 at 6:22 AM, Zqueeze1 said:

Charleston is a great city for walking especially to the Battery, South of Broad Street, Rainbow Row, and the market.  

Check out Hall’s Chop House for dinner. 

Z and TB

I'll need to try Hall's the next time I'm in Charleston - we have one here in Greenville that frankly leaves me a bit underwhelmed.

So Z, I've been a week or two behind reading this report and just finished up today.  Maybe, just maybe one day we'll manage to sail together - I'm sure it wouldn't be boring.  Sorry to hear about your little tummy booboo - hope you get back to normal-ish as soon as possible.

Thanks for taking us along with you guys on this trip.  We just got off Voyager last month and it already feels like a year.  And nothing booked until next August (might have to find an alternative itinerary earlier in the year).  We're looking to get to South Africa sometime in '26, maybe on their new build, who knows?

Anyhow, I sure appreciate your writeups and pics - it helps with the withdrawl.  🙂

Oh, and with regards to the comments about smaller portions on board - we completely agree that the portion sizes seem smaller, and that's perfect, I think!  Last year I either felt bloated for overeating or guilty for throwing away food.  This past cruise hit the sweet spot - we could order apps, entrees, and dessert and not feel like we needed gurneys to get us back to our cabin,  

Whether it's a cost-reducing measure or just a stab and keeping us from packing on too much vacation tonnage, I, for one, welcome the change!

PS - more calories to spend on hooch.  🤪 🥃

• Like 2

3 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Oh, and with regards to the comments about smaller portions on board - we completely agree that the portion sizes seem smaller, and that's perfect, I think!  Last year I either felt bloated for overeating or guilty for throwing away food.  This past cruise hit the sweet spot - we could order apps, entrees, and dessert and not feel like we needed gurneys to get us back to our cabin,  

Whether it's a cost-reducing measure or just a stab and keeping us from packing on too much vacation tonnage, I, for one, welcome the change!

PS - more calories to spend on hooch.  🤪 🥃

I agree!  The portions are much smaller and perfect for me.  I view it as a learning curve if you have a big appetite, order more courses.  Food waste is costly so I applaud regent for taking note.  

• Like 1

Zqueeze and UUNetBill:  

Well, on a somewhat lighter note in line with some recent recent comments between you guys--

Recall reading about an historic back-and-forth exchange between Winston Churchill and Lady Astor which, actually, probably actually happened.  

Winston had, as usual, consumed a tad-bit more brandy than usual while at a dinner party.  Lady Astor, observing his demeanor, opined:  "Sir, you are drunk."  His response:  "Yes, Madam.  I am drunk.  But tomorrow I will be sober.  And, you will still be ugly."

Eh gads.  

On a sincere note:  Zqueeze:  Best wishes for your speedy recovery.

GOARMY!

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 8:22 AM, Zqueeze1 said:

Folks:  sorry I did not do a wrap up, but I caught some sort of stomach illness that knocked me down.  I ended up in the emergency room with several ruptured ulcers that required eight pints of blood. The doctor even told my wife to consider calling a priest.  Five days later, I dodged another bullet, but spent up one of my lives. The downside is no more alcohol. So, if you have stocks in Don Q rum sell ASAP.  Now I hope to go home today.

Thanks for all the prayers from friends and family.  BTW, my college classmates ran a pool to guess the hour and day I would croak.  I won the pot.  

Z and TB

Z....sorry to hear of your health issues and hope you are feeling better soon. When we board Grandeur in July, I will light a candle and place it on the pool bar.....4th seat from the right, in your honor. Hope your better ¾ is looking after you.

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes.  I got home yesterday afternoon and am already feeling great thanks to awesome medical care and TB’s care and cooking.  Will be sailing again on the Splendor on 5 Jan 25. 

Z and TB

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to let you know I really enjoyed reading about your journey on the Grandeur.  We'll be taking a Southern Caribbean Grandeur cruise in Feb '26. Your pictures and narration really made me look forward to this sailing.  Thank you.

Hope you totally recover soon.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Thanks 1

We are so glad you survived and feeling much better.  Couldn’t bear to see something more happen, so be good.  (I know that’s against your nature.). Give TB a hug for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Paul Renye said:

Zqueeze1, now you can sit at the pool bar with Nancy drinking those non alcoholic umbrella drinks🤯. Stay well and hello to the bride. Scooterman!

he'll skip the umbrella... one has a reputation to uphold...no matter what's in the glass. But Cy (Sikumar ) will take care of him (and us)

Edited by Gcto
  • Like 1

Adding my good wishes to the collection - this is not how that story was supposed to end!  Good to read through the thread and reach the part where you are well enough to go home and look forward to the next cruise though.

Stay well and take care of yourself and TB!

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 5:59 PM, Mudhen said:

On the Feb Grandeur Caribbean run,

we stopped in St.Barts as well.

Didn’t know this had been an issue…

So did Splendor in February.

Posted (edited)

Wow. So sorry about your illness. Like the others, we really enjoyed reading your "blog". Very entertaining. The Katz's pic sent my mouth drooling. Get well, heal up, and perhaps we'll meet up at the Pool Bar someday. Look for the guy in the aloha shirt with his adult autistic son. Usually center bar.

Edited by Aloha 1
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 11:57 PM, GOARMY said:

Recall reading about an historic back-and-forth exchange between Winston Churchill and Lady Astor which, actually, probably actually happened.  

Winston had, as usual, consumed a tad-bit more brandy than usual while at a dinner party.  Lady Astor, observing his demeanor, opined:  "Sir, you are drunk."  His response:  "Yes, Madam.  I am drunk.  But tomorrow I will be sober.  And, you will still be ugly."

I'd heard about this exchange as well (quite possibly also true, and hopefully so):

“Lady Astor: "Sir, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea."
Winston: "Madame, if you were my wife, I'd drink it!"

UUnetBill:  

Both barbs can be true, if we truly believe them to be.  

If it's a pithy comment, attribution to either Sir Winston or Shakespeare cannot ever be a faux pas.   

Hope we have an opportunity to cruise again on a future segment.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

For clarity & completeness: The former quote - “…you are disgustingly drunk…….you will still be disgustingly ugly..” was Churchill to another MP, a famous Labour MP from Liverpool, Bessie Braddock. He was paraphrasing WC Fields from some film, I can’t recall the title.

The latter, “…….I’d drink it..” was a reply to Lady Astor but there has been some dispute whether it was actually Lord Birkenhead, who was present at the time, who gave the riposte, not Churchill.