When will I become diamond?

I will be embarking on my 9 night British Isles cruise with 191 nights. Will I be considered diamond at the beginning of that cruise or at the end of that cruise? Thank you! 

From Carnival's site

Guests graduating into a new level during a cruise will receive the benefits of the new level they are graduating into from the beginning of the cruise (e.g. those graduating to Gold on the 3rd day of a 5-day cruise will receive Gold benefits for the entire duration of their cruise). Please note that ‘debarkation day’ is not considered a ‘cruise day’, therefore, points are not earned for that day.

• Like 5

If your Diamond Day falls on the day before debarkation (or prior), you will become Diamond at embarkation.  It will be reflected on your Boarding documents after check in but may not be on your Carnival.com account until after sailing.  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

If your Diamond Day falls on the day before debarkation (or prior), you will become Diamond at embarkation.  It will be reflected on your Boarding documents after check in but may not be on your Carnival.com account until after sailing.  

Thank you so much! 

54 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Unless I'm mistaken, Carnival waits until after the completion of a cruise before they upgrade you to the next level.

Looks like I was mistaken. 

Note to self: If you're not 100% sure of the information, don't respond.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

When you get to your cabin to pick up your sail and sign card, it may be Platinum.  That happened to me on my first Diamond cruise.  I was looking forward to my white Diamond card, which Guest Services was happy to provide me with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with these answers “but” it is really a decision or lack of a decision by the front desk staff once aboard.  We sailed on Conquest and made Diamond on our first day and asked what the process was on boarding day and they responded let’s look into it.  Never heard back so went back again on day two and told sorry but until the system updates your points from our previous cruise (back to back) they couldn’t honor.  The system updated on day three but remained platinum until our next sailing a month later.  Not apples to apples and would think you will get upgraded but I still believe it’s all about what the staff onboard believe and are willing to do.  In my case NOTHING.

56 minutes ago, Oldsweets said:

I agree with these answers “but” it is really a decision or lack of a decision by the front desk staff once aboard.  We sailed on Conquest and made Diamond on our first day and asked what the process was on boarding day and they responded let’s look into it.  Never heard back so went back again on day two and told sorry but until the system updates your points from our previous cruise (back to back) they couldn’t honor.  The system updated on day three but remained platinum until our next sailing a month later.  Not apples to apples and would think you will get upgraded but I still believe it’s all about what the staff onboard believe and are willing to do.  In my case NOTHING.

Duly noted. I’m sorry you didn’t get a better outcome at guest services. 

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Oldsweets said:

From what I can make out of your post, it appears that you made Diamond on the first day of the 2nd leg of  B2B cruises. Is that correct? If it is, it appears that those cruises weren't linked. If they were, you would have been Diamond from the first day of the first cruise. I know several people where this was the case. 😎

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 4

Just to add anecdotal confirmation, both my "turn platinum" and "turn diamond" cruises were cruises that I hit the milestone on embarkation day and both times I had the fancy new card and massively improved VIFP benefits day 1.  My diamond day was just a couple cruises ago, so this is fairly recent experience (2023).  It's exciting, load them up with laundry and watch in amazement as everything comes back GI Joe and Barbie sized!

• Haha 4

I had 199 days when I boarded Magic in 2022.  Everything I printed beforehand had "Diamond" on it, and the white card was waiting in our mailbox upon boarding.  It is unfortunate that some people somehow "slip through the cracks" and don't get what they earned.  I can see how frustrating that would be if it wasn't handled correctly onboard.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

From what I can make out of your post, it appears that you made Diamond on the first day of the 2nd leg of  B2B cruises. Is that correct? If it is, it appears that those cruises weren't linked. If they were, you would have been Diamond from the first day of the first cruise. I know several people where this was the case. 😎

My Platinum status was granted on a linked B2B and I was Plat on the first cruise.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

To become Diamond, your name must be put into nomination by a member of the Diamond committee. Once nominated, you will be asked to provide a brief presentation to the committee on why you believe you should receive Diamond status. After the presentations, the committee will vote on all those currently nominated. Two-thirds approval of the committee is required for your name to move forward to Christine Duffy who will convene the Board of Directors for final review and approval of your nomination. Unanimous approval from the Board of Directors is required. You will receive a letter in 7-10 business days with their decision. At any point during the process you are not approved, you must wait one calendar year to request renomination.

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, Afttastic said:

To become Diamond, your name must be put into nomination by a member of the Diamond committee. Once nominated, you will be asked to provide a brief presentation to the committee on why you believe you should receive Diamond status. After the presentations, the committee will vote on all those currently nominated. Two-thirds approval of the committee is required for your name to move forward to Christine Duffy who will convene the Board of Directors for final review and approval of your nomination. Unanimous approval from the Board of Directors is required. You will receive a letter in 7-10 business days with their decision. At any point during the process you are not approved, you must wait one calendar year to request renomination.

Sounds fabulous! 🤣

1 hour ago, Afttastic said:

Plus pay the application fee...