Japanese Cabs

Empehi

32 minutes ago, Empehi said:

Do cabs in Japan generally take credit cards for payment?

thanks

e

The taxis we used in the Greater Tokyo/Yokohama region did accept Visa/MC.  I cannot say if that is always the norm everywhere and with all the taxi companies (if BruceMuzz sees this thread he can advise).  That being said, as a long time DIY traveler I have learned to never depend, 100%, on credit cards.  When we did want to use a credit card with a taxi (we only did this on some longer more expensive rides) we always asked the driver before we got in the taxi.  And we always had enough yen to cover a tab.

By the way, Japanese taxis do not expect tips.  If the fare is 479 Yen, and you give the driver 500, he is going to give you 21 yen change!  Another tip about Japanese taxis is that the driver will electronically open the rear door for entrance and exit.  It is not normal for folks to open their own door.

Hank

• Thanks 1

My experience is yes.  We have been to Japan previously, and had no issues with credit cards (particularly in metro areas) but we ask when entering the taxi.  We landed at Haneda yesterday and the poor guy at the well run taxi rank was asked continuously about whether credit cards could be used and the answer was yes.  

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The cabs we took in Hiroshima and Kochi were explicitly cash only-- the drivers would say "cash! cash!" and I would say "ok!" and that was that.

In Kyoto, I had to ask for the card reader, it was not pre-installed into the cab.

Greater-Tokyo cabs were more card-friendly; the reader is usually installed into the cab itself, and the Go app is always an option as well.

In Nagasaki, I vaguely remember a card reader being available, but I paid that fare through the Go app because we were in an area where there were fewer cabs to hail on the street.

Edited by thehowlingroad
More details

We have been to Japan 3 times. Some cabs do, we found most cabs don’t. Check before you get on. In some places - like Tokyo / Yokohama - you can also use the uber app.