Don’t do it! Problems with canceling a cruise using the app

Last night we decided to cancel one cruise in favor of a different sailing. We are well before final payment. We had made a deposit, paid an upgrade fee, and booked an excursion and some specialty restaurants. There was an option to cancel the reservation on the app, which I clicked. I received a confirmation email but the amount to be refunded was listed as zero!  When I called Celebrity this morning to inquire about the refund, I spent over an hour and a half on the phone, only to be told they needed to investigate this and they would call me back tomorrow. The rep then told me that I should not have used the cancellation feature on the app and should have called instead! 
why have this option on the app if all it does is create a problem? Frustrating. I’m sure it will be worked out, but probably after spending countless hours on the phone. This is certainly not a major issue in the scheme of things, just informing on my experience in case anyone is considering canceling 

• Like 3

good reminder..

The few times we have cancelled, we  cancelled any  pre paid booked excursions, dining and spa,  first on our credit card so those credits go back right away

..Then we called to cancel the cruise so they e mail the conf right away!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hcat said:

good reminder..

The few times we have cancelled, we  cancelled any  pre paid booked excursions, dining and spa,  first on our credit card so those credits go back right away

The one time we've had to cancel a Celebrity cruise this is what we did...all on a desktop PC. I never do things like that on an app.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hcat said:

good reminder..

Live and learn

4 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

If you were just changing to a different sailing, you could have - by calling or using a TA who would call - just changed the cruise. Anything prepaid for the one you were on would be refunded back automatically. 

I had put deposits on both, my travel companion was away and I was waiting for her to decide between the two. Canceling on the app seemed easy…until it turned out it wasn’t