Question - Diamond Circle excursion in Akureyri, Iceland

2cruisecats

Iceland’s Natural Beauty Cruise - In Akureyri, The Diamond Circle excursion is listed as a full day and a demanding excursion. From the description, it seems more moderate? If you have done this excursion, did you find it demanding? And, if demanding, what made it demanding — length of walking or difficult terrain or ..? Trying to decide between Diamond Circle (preferred) and Northern Iceland’s Natural Treasures, another full day excursion but listed as moderate.

52 minutes ago, 2cruisecats said:

Iceland’s Natural Beauty Cruise - In Akureyri, The Diamond Circle excursion is listed as a full day and a demanding excursion. From the description, it seems more moderate? If you have done this excursion, did you find it demanding? And, if demanding, what made it demanding — length of walking or difficult terrain or ..? Trying to decide between Diamond Circle (preferred) and Northern Iceland’s Natural Treasures, another full day excursion but listed as moderate.

@2cruisecats   I assume you mean "Iceland's Natural TREASURES EXCURSION".  We did this EXACT excursion out of Akureyri last June!  We had an absolutely wonderful time, thanks to good weather.  It was definitely a long day, however, but we had a really good and large lunch halfway through near Lake Myvatin at a very upscale conference hotel restaurant with a view!   I would have listed it as 1/2 demanding and 1/2 moderate (I've been on many Viking excursions both truly demanding and truly moderate.  There are several stops where you get out of the bus and have to walk a moderately decent distance to the "attraction".  Perhaps that is where the "demanding" comes from.  The one area that has some hills is the paved trail through the wonderful towering lava castles and grottoes of the Dimmuborgir lava labyrinth.  The walking to the Godafoss waterfalls and the sulphur springs areas is moderately long (maybe 1 mile total?)

As for the Diamond Circle - I would have given it the same rating.  We took an independent tour out of Reykjavik that went to the attractions on this tour description.  It goes to the same lava park (Dimmuborgir) so would have the same walk and hills there.  It however, goes to Dettifoss waterfall.  I thought the walk to/from the parking lot to this falls was much more difficult than the Natural Treasures excursion's walk to the Godafoss falls.

I am a bit surprised that Viking rated these 2 excursions differently.  I would have rated them either both Demanding or both Moderate.  

I would choose whichever one you wish!  Hoping that helps relieve any indecision.  Feel free to email me and I can say more and send you some pics from both excursions -  

kjstong at gmail dot com

Kent

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I am a bit surprised that Viking rated these 2 excursions differently.  I would have rated them either both Demanding or both Moderate.  

I would choose whichever one you wish!  Hoping that helps relieve any indecision.  Feel free to email me and I can say more and send you some pics from both excursions -  

kjstong at gmail dot com

Kent

Thank You! Great info.  We have until April 4th to decide. Yes, I've left this  investigation a little late as we've been focusing on the 10 day self-drive tour of the Westfjords we're dong ahead of the cruise. Email coming -- love to see your pix.

I have done Natural Treasures. 

The decision is six of one, half a dozen the other.  There is a lot to see from Akureyri and you can't see it all in one day.  They each have a variety of geologic features; it just depends on which you like seeing the most.

You can't go wrong with either one.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, EmptyNesterMom said:

The Diamond excursion goes to Husavik while the Natural Treasures does not.  I am wondering which excursion to take myself.

We decided to take the Natural Treasures excursion next month. The main reason was this part of the Diamond Circle description:

After a delicious two-course lunch, head to Húsavík on the shores of Skjálfandi. This charming fishing town, a popular sight for whale watching, was the backdrop of the 2020 movie Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga, starring Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams.”

I find the included lunches on Viking excursions to be a huge time sink.

Although Natural Treasures does include some sort of meal, there is no mention of a “two-course lunch.” This makes me think that a significant amount of time for the Diamond excursion will be spent in Húsavik instead of in the country side.

We are on the Aug 7th sailing of the Venus from Reykjavik and I will be doing an “Almost Live” posting of our latest adventure. Be sure to check it out.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We decided to take the Natural Treasures excursion next month. The main reason was this part of the Diamond Circle description:

After a delicious two-course lunch, head to Húsavík on the shores of Skjálfandi. This charming fishing town, a popular sight for whale watching, was the backdrop of the 2020 movie Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga, starring Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams.”

I find the included lunches on Viking excursions to be a huge time sink.

Although Natural Treasures does include some sort of meal, there is no mention of a “two-course lunch.” This makes me think that a significant amount of time for the Diamond excursion will be spent in Húsavik instead of in the country side.

We are on the Aug 7th sailing of the Venus from Reykjavik and I will be doing an “Almost Live” posting of our latest adventure. Be sure to check it out.

Natural Treasures lunch may not be described as a two course meal but my recollection from 2021 is that it was a sit down meal and they usually are two courses.  However, if you don't want lunch, there is an ice cream stand on the property -- if they are still taking you to the same place and if the stand is still open, that is.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Natural Treasures lunch may not be described as a two course meal but my recollection from 2021 is that it was a sit down meal and they usually are two courses.  However, if you don't want lunch, there is an ice cream stand on the property -- if they are still taking you to the same place and if the stand is still open, that is.

The Diamond Circle description says you go to Húsavík after lunch so it sounds like only half of the tour is nature sightseeing. That is a red flag in my book. Also, Diamond Circle is listed as "Demanding." Sounds like climbing is involved to see the waterfall.

At what point did you have lunch? Did you continue to other locations or was it back to the ship?

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

The Diamond Circle description says you go to Húsavík after lunch so it sounds like only half of the tour is nature sightseeing. That is a red flag in my book. Also, Diamond Circle is listed as "Demanding." Sounds like climbing is involved to see the waterfall.

At what point did you have lunch? Did you continue to other locations or was it back to the ship?

Joe -

we did the Diamond Circle tour out of Akureyri one year ago.  It was easily one of the best tours we've done, even considering that there was indeed a lunch provided.  The day was absolutely packed full of activities, such that the moderately short (1 hour only?) lunch was a welcome breather.  We had an absolutely delicious lunch at a very upscale conference hotel by Lake Myvatin.  There were tables for 4 and 6 (not long tables) in the restaurant.  The meal was fabulous (perhaps better than some Viking meals).  Excellent salad and fish (Arctic Chard ? ).  Via the timestamps on my photos, I see we stopped to eat at 12:30, and were on the road again by 1:30, heading to Godafoss Falls.

As for demanding, the hardest part for some of the immobile people was the lava park where the trail had a lot of steps and also climbing up and down.  (Dimmuborgir Lava Field)  Also the first stop was Lake Myvatin and the trail was a decent walk to the lookout from the visitor center (all optional of course).  The Geyser Fields were spectacular and to truly experience them was a moderately decent but level walk - well worth it.  At the Godafoss Waterfall, it was (for me) a moderate walk (perhaps 3/4 mile each way?), but pretty level.  Spectacular!  We spent a decent time there which was great.  We also used the time to hike down to the water level down the rocks for some stunning views (and spray) - but we are in decent shape.

To me it was a fabulous day! and well worth it.

Send me an email and I'll send you some pics.  kjstong at gmail dot com

Kent

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Joe -

we did the Diamond Circle tour out of Akureyri one year ago.  It was easily one of the best tours we've done, even considering that there was indeed a lunch provided.  The day was absolutely packed full of activities, such that the moderately short (1 hour only?) lunch was a welcome breather.  We had an absolutely delicious lunch at a very upscale conference hotel by Lake Myvatin.  There were tables for 4 and 6 (not long tables) in the restaurant.  The meal was fabulous (perhaps better than some Viking meals).  Excellent salad and fish (Arctic Chard ? ).  Via the timestamps on my photos, I see we stopped to eat at 12:30, and were on the road again by 1:30, heading to Godafoss Falls.

As for demanding, the hardest part for some of the immobile people was the lava park where the trail had a lot of steps and also climbing up and down.  (Dimmuborgir Lava Field)  Also the first stop was Lake Myvatin and the trail was a decent walk to the lookout from the visitor center (all optional of course).  The Geyser Fields were spectacular and to truly experience them was a moderately decent but level walk - well worth it.  At the Godafoss Waterfall, it was (for me) a moderate walk (perhaps 3/4 mile each way?), but pretty level.  Spectacular!  We spent a decent time there which was great.  We also used the time to hike down to the water level down the rocks for some stunning views (and spray) - but we are in decent shape.

To me it was a fabulous day! and well worth it.

Send me an email and I'll send you some pics.  kjstong at gmail dot com

Kent

I will definitely email you. Thanks.

According to the Viking tour descriptions Diamond Circle visits Dettifoss waterfall while Northern Iceland’s Natural Treasures visits Godafoss and the lava fields, which is a main reason we choose it. Did you do this independently? Did something change or are the tour descriptions incomplete?

From MVJ:

Iceland’s Natural Treasures:

Travel by motor coach along the coast of Eyjafjördur—Iceland’s longest fjord—and take in stunning views of Akureyri and the surrounding mountains. Journey through the Fnjóskadalur Valley to the majestic Godafoss waterfall, named after a pagan priest and chieftain who threw the statues of the pagan gods he once worshipped after converting to Christianity in the year 1000 AD. Your next stop is the Mývatn volcanic lake area, pausing by the impressive pseudocraters at Skútustadir along the way. You will also visit the towering lava castles and grottoes of the Dimmuborgir lava labyrinth, and experience the geothermal wonder of hot sulfuric mud springs and gurgling sulphur cauldrons at Námaskard. After a wonderful day in nature, return to your awaiting ship.

Diamond Circle:

Meet your guide and embark on a scenic drive to the Dimmuborgir lava fields, known for their dramatic rock formations, with some reaching up to 65 feet high. Continue to Dettifoss, Europe’s most powerful waterfall, and admire its cascade of water as it tumbles into the Jökulsárgljúfur. At the Hljóðaklettar—or Whispering Cliffs—marvel at the craters and basalt columns, formed by the flood waves of the Vatnajökull ice cap. After a delicious two-course lunch, head to Húsavík on the shores of Skjálfandi. This charming fishing town, a popular sight for whale watching, was the backdrop of the 2020 movie Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga, starring Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams. After your tour, return to your awaiting ship.

12 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

A related question for those who have visited Iceland - would we need Icelandic change for toilets?

From what I’ve read, except in rural areas, they take plastic.

• Like 1

To be honest, I can't remember having to pay for any toilets while on tour with Viking in Iceland. Hopefully, someone will confirm my recollections (because trips and bathroom are all starting to run together!).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

To be honest, I can't remember having to pay for any toilets while on tour with Viking in Iceland. Hopefully, someone will confirm my recollections (because trips and bathroom are all starting to run together!).

I never had to pay to use a toilet in Iceland. And we did Iceland’s Natural Treasures, which was a great excursion. Dimmuborgir lava fields are unlike anything you have ever seen anywhere…our main reason for choosing this excursion.

Edited by janetcbl
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

We just took the Diamond tour.  The whaling town "visit" was simply a toilet stop.  The lunch was excellent;  a beet soup and artic char (a trout which looks and tastes like salmon), plus wine or beer.  Lunch was about half an hour to 4t minutes.  Unfortunately there was sleet and fog at the canyon so visit was brief.  Dettifoss is incredible.  We also saw the geothermal fields and walked through the Dark City gardens where the 13 nasty Santa's hangout around Christmas.  Amazing lava formations.  We did see Godifoss from a distance on the way back.  It was a great tour.  I wouldn't call it demanding but there is a fair amount of walking, especially to the falls.  Not for the mobility challenged, however there were two on the bus who made decisions on the fly such as not wanting to walk in sleet.

Edited by PRH
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I will definitely email you. Thanks.

According to the Viking tour descriptions Diamond Circle visits Dettifoss waterfall while Northern Iceland’s Natural Treasures visits Godafoss and the lava fields, which is a main reason we choose it. Did you do this independently? Did something change or are the tour descriptions incomplete?

From MVJ:

Iceland’s Natural Treasures:

Travel by motor coach along the coast of Eyjafjördur—Iceland’s longest fjord—and take in stunning views of Akureyri and the surrounding mountains. Journey through the Fnjóskadalur Valley to the majestic Godafoss waterfall, named after a pagan priest and chieftain who threw the statues of the pagan gods he once worshipped after converting to Christianity in the year 1000 AD. Your next stop is the Mývatn volcanic lake area, pausing by the impressive pseudocraters at Skútustadir along the way. You will also visit the towering lava castles and grottoes of the Dimmuborgir lava labyrinth, and experience the geothermal wonder of hot sulfuric mud springs and gurgling sulphur cauldrons at Námaskard. After a wonderful day in nature, return to your awaiting ship.

Diamond Circle:

Meet your guide and embark on a scenic drive to the Dimmuborgir lava fields, known for their dramatic rock formations, with some reaching up to 65 feet high. Continue to Dettifoss, Europe’s most powerful waterfall, and admire its cascade of water as it tumbles into the Jökulsárgljúfur. At the Hljóðaklettar—or Whispering Cliffs—marvel at the craters and basalt columns, formed by the flood waves of the Vatnajökull ice cap. After a delicious two-course lunch, head to Húsavík on the shores of Skjálfandi. This charming fishing town, a popular sight for whale watching, was the backdrop of the 2020 movie Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga, starring Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams. After your tour, return to your awaiting ship.

Thanks Joe!

FYI - in my post I meant to say we took the "Natural Treasures" tour.   We looked at both and decided against Diamond Circle, partly because we'd already booked a private tour out of Reykjavik at the end of the cruise to go to Dettifoss and partly because we weren't interested in the Eurovision fishing town.

My apologies to everyone for the confusion!

Kent

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Thanks Joe!

FYI - in my post I meant to say we took the "Natural Treasures" tour.   We looked at both and decided against Diamond Circle, partly because we'd already booked a private tour out of Reykjavik at the end of the cruise to go to Dettifoss and partly because we weren't interested in the Eurovision fishing town.

My apologies to everyone for the confusion!

Kent

Whew! 😅 For a minute I thought the town was destroyed by Will Ferrell for the movie. 

13 hours ago, EmptyNesterMom said:

The Diamond excursion goes to Husavik while the Natural Treasures does not.  I am wondering which excursion to take myself.

Husavik is worth your time. I’ve been there twice, on my own — it’s a great little town.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SJD117 said:

Husavik is worth your time. I’ve been there twice, on my own — it’s a great little town.

Husavik on our Diamond tour was mostly a restroom break.  Lunch was on the early side (11:30) but excellent sit down lunch at a remote restaurant in a nature preserve. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The only place we went to that was pay in Iceland, on a VO excursion, the tour guide handed out a QR code on slip of paper that got you in.  Interesting system, like entering an amusement ride but it was a bathroom.  Anyway, I think you are ok.

Edited by rmalbers
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, surmy555 said:

Are there options to do either of these tours independently in case they are fully booked ? Any recommendations?

A lot of the ports at Iceland are small so I would think independent would be limited, if available. I'm not so sure that the buses used by VO didn't follow the ship to the ports, at least in some cases, where it was practical. .Check out some of the roll calls and I bet you'll get a good idea of the independent stuff.

There are independent vendors even in the smaller ports.

Besides the roll calls, which have been rather sparse of late, try the following:

~ Cruise Critic Ports of Call forum -- for a bigger audience

~ Trip Advisor-- at least you can see names of companies and read reviews

~ Viator -- third part tour booking

~ ToursbyLocals is also frequently mentioned in this forum